Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: A question before I continue  (Read 1007 times)

demonair

• View Profile
A question before I continue
« on: April 30, 2012, 10:43:38 am »
Hello there iv been thinking about using sfml for a couple weeks now as i keep seeing it pop up in places i normaly go when looking for help and advice compared to allegro 5 that im using now and i want to install the 2.0.

So i downloaded the windows 32 version for VS 2010 and then went to the install instructions, i noticed it says its not recomended to copy the files into the Vs folder like i did with allegro.

I read on and it seems like alot of work has to be done every time you want to start a new project and i make LOTs of new projects when ever i get stuck on somthing or want to try somthing out i can do it there and save it to look at later and all i have to do with allegro is link a .lib file and im away.

So i duno if im reading it wrong and its seems alot more work then it is because i really dont want to go through all that everytime.

anyone input on this would be nice
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 10:46:41 am by Laurent »

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Re: A question before I continue
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 10:51:03 am »
Once SFML is installed, there is no more work necessary than at any other library: Set the library/include paths, link the right libraries and set preprocessor macros if needed. Visual Studio 2010 even provides property sheets to store those settings, so you can just load that sheet once for every project and you're done.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 10:53:17 am »
It's not "a lot of work", there are just 3 options to set in your project settings. It's done in 30 seconds. And even if you create a lot of projects, it's not 10 new projects everyday, is it?

But anyway, you can do what you do with Allegro, and copy the files directly to the VS folder. It will work the same. This solution is not recommended because it's not clean and convenient in the long term, but it works.

A cleaner compromise is to leave SFML where it is and add the search paths to the global options of VS, instead of each project. However it's not as easy as in VS 2008 (global options have been removed), you may have to search a little bit to find how it do it with VS 2010.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

demonair

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 11:18:30 am »
Somtimes i can make more then 10 lol, its good to have a list of projects with examples or working functions and class's you can copy and paste into your future projects, saves alot of time and helps work stuff out without messing things up in the one you are working on so yer going from typing 1 line into the Linker > Input > Additional Dependencies to up to 5 and telling it were the files are is a big time waster to me :P
only so many seconds in a day and they shouldnt be wasted :D

Anyway iv setup a project now and going to look into Property sheets? to save the settings as i didnt know you could do that(still green at programming and using VS).

thansk for your informing replys :]

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 11:21:44 am »
Somtimes i can make more then 10 lol, its good to have a list of projects with examples or working functions and class's you can copy and paste into your future projects, saves alot of time and helps work stuff out without messing things up in the one you are working on
Hum, why don't you put all these things into a single project? If they are just pieces of code to copy and paste, and not complete programs, you don't need one project for each. And why do you need a VS project at all if it's just for copy and paste? Organized source files wouldn't be enough? :)
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

anything