Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: C++/Game Programming Tutoring Classes  (Read 6794 times)

Paki Programmer

• View Profile
C++/Game Programming Tutoring Classes
« on: May 03, 2012, 05:41:49 pm »
I am willing to teach anyone who is interested C++ and the SFML 2.0 API used to make games. Classes will be held over Skype or GoogleTalk and TeamViewer will be used for real time collaboration and help. Payments will be based on an hourly rate and PayPal will be used for secure transactions. You set how many hours you want me to teach, then pay half the amount to me. Once the lesson is done and the appropriate amount of hours are up, you pay the rest to me. If you are interested please email me at sarim.janjua2013@gmail.com

Payment rate: $10/hour

Students will begin the classes by learning the basics of C++ if they don't already. This includes:

- Understanding of basic theory

- Variables

- Loops

- Conditional Statements

- Functions

- Classes, structures, enumerations, etc.

- Pointers

- Containers/Lists

- Arrays

- More will be added as the classes go in case i feel as though you need to know something else

After a solid foundation has been built with an understanding of C++, students will move onto the next phase and begin to learn game development through the use of the SFML 2.0 API. The ultimate goal of all the lessons combined is to allow the student to make games by themselves with little help if any. Topics for this part of the class that will be taught are:

- Basic game structure

- Rendering sprites

- Player input

- Basic physics - Game audio/music - More will be added and taught as needed

The lesson style that I use to teach involves making students write many small programs that involve concepts that they are currently learning. They will write, test, then rewrite similar programs many times until they know the concepts by heart and are capable of moving on to the next lesson. Each lesson is in essence a small puzzle piece. Once students learn enough concepts, a sort of "test" will be issued which requires students to create a simple game incorporating all of the concepts they have learned thus far.

Many people might say that they can just learn from the internet and go on youtube or search forums. That is true, however you won't get the same experience of working with another person in real time who will talk to you and guide you through the whole process. If you get stuck then I'm there to tell you what you did wrong and what you can do to fix it. You can't get the same experience and learn at the same rate as you would learning from me if you just rely on the internet.

A little bit about me for those who are curious. I am a student and I plan on getting my degree in Computer Science and continue on to become a Software Engineer. These classes that I am offering are not expensive at all, especially considering how much professional classes are. I have experience making games with small indie teams but none were ever finished due to various reasons. I have enough understanding and knowledge about C++ and Game Development to teach those who desire help from me.

An additional note, I live in the United States, EST Time. Please take that into account in case you live somewhere else in the world as timing will be difficult if not thought of before hand.

Perde

• View Profile
Re: C++/Game Programming Tutoring Classes
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 06:28:25 pm »
Don't you think one topic is enough?

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 07:07:22 pm »
There is only one thread, it has been "silent-moved".
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Lo-X

• View Profile
    • My personal website, with CV, portfolio and projects
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 07:10:02 pm »
There is only one thread, it has been "silent-moved".
There were two (I'm not sure wht you meant by "silent-moved")

Anyway I'm not sure this is the place for payable services.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 07:54:49 pm »
I removed the duplicate. Don't forget that this forum is properly moderated ;)
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Paki Programmer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 08:32:28 pm »
Sorry guys, my mistake. Won't happen again :) The only reason i chose to post on here is because i really can't find any websites that will allow me to post ads for my services. So im stuck posting on forums :( If you can help me find a site that can get views and allow me to post there without a problem that would be great.

julen26

• View Profile
    • http://julen26.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 10:30:27 pm »
You should create a website and offer your servies there. You could make a category for your projects and guarantee the level of your offer.
Also, I think that the price is a bit expensive but that's your choice.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 09:43:26 am »
These classes that I am offering are not expensive at all, especially considering how much professional classes are. I have experience making games with small indie teams but none were ever finished due to various reasons. I have enough understanding and knowledge about C++ and Game Development to teach those who desire help from me.
Despite your post, it is difficult to estimate your skill. Do you have some code samples, tutorials, a demo lesson or something like that? If that makes a good impression, it will become much easier to convince people of paying you.

Maybe it would be a good idea to provide these lessons along with a good book like the C++ Primer, because otherwise it takes eterneties to learn the language with all the important background knowledge. It is extremely important that the book is really good, there's so much "half-knowledge" literature about C++ out there.

Also, I think that the price is a bit expensive but that's your choice.
I don't think $10 per hour is very much, considering that Paki Programmer also has to prepare his lessons.

There were two (I'm not sure wht you meant by "silent-moved")
Okay, I thought the topic was moved from Projects to here, without a post in the old place forwarding to the new one (thus "silent").
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

dobbi10k

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 11:59:27 pm »
Do you have some code samples, tutorials, a demo lesson or something like that? If that makes a good impression, it will become much easier to convince people of paying you.

Second that. Me too, I have written a bunch of small nice games like a year ago. Then my HDD broke... How am I ever going to proof. Never. Too bad the same applies to Paki Programmer. What I think would be a good solution for both you and a possible customer would be some kind money-back guarantee. Of course with some restrictions.

General consideration: Make sure there is a valid contract between you and a customer and mainly get some kind of proof you actually taught the lessons!

anything