Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: PIONEERS  (Read 40678 times)

eigen

• Brobdingnagian ding dong
    • View Profile
    • Pioneersgame.com
Re: Pioneers
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2012, 06:49:01 pm »
Yes, I recently posted it to the concepts section because I don't think it's developed far enough for the proper evaluation on there. So before I spend any money on it I wanted to see what the general reception and interest was. So far I gotta say it's been super awesome! Apart from a couple of comments early on saying they don't like the graphics (which I totally get and had prepared for) it has been very generous and positive. It's been in the top there pretty much since I posted it. This gives me good reason to hope that once I post it on proper Greenlight it won't crash and burn in an instant :) But it has to mature a bit before I can do that.

And I'm working towards that. Some days are less productive than others but it's going well overall. Currently working on the overworld of sorts. Basically the section where you sail around the oceans hoping to find land. You have wind direction to take into account so you have to play with the ship orientation to reach maximum speed. I read up on sailing a little so now I'm putting some of that into the game.

... even if it's meant to be freeware. :)

It's not meant to be freeware. It might be, eventually, if things don't work out as I hope but that's not the current plan.

Mario

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2012, 04:05:16 pm »
Wouldn't worry about those complaining due to its art style. It's clearly trying to mimic the style used in early NES/Gameboy games. Maybe add a more colorful mode later on, but as long as you limit yourself to a very specific spectrum I don't think it really hurts the game.

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2012, 12:06:27 am »
May I ask where did you get the openal32.dll you ship in the package with pioneers?
Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

eigen

• View Profile
    • Pioneersgame.com
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2012, 08:02:40 am »
May I ask where did you get the openal32.dll you ship in the package with pioneers?

It's either from the 2.0RC or 1.6 release. I think there was an error with that on 2.0 where it caused a crash on exiting the game so I just plugged in the old dll and it worked. Why do you ask?

edit: No, wait, I'm thinking of the libsndfile-1.dll file.

I just checked, the filesize seems to match the one in the 2.0 release. So, I got it from there. Is there a problem with it?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 10:08:36 am by eigen »

Haikarainen

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2012, 04:26:11 pm »
Haven't heard from you in a long while now, are you still interested?

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2012, 04:33:04 pm »
libsnd is same size and checksum, openal32 is different
There is no problem with it, quite the contrary, the openal32.dll in your package doesn't crash on exit(which is wonderful).
Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2012, 04:37:20 pm »
There is no problem with it, quite the contrary, the openal32.dll in your package doesn't crash on exit(which is wonderful).
This is probably the latest version (1.14).

https://github.com/SFML/SFML/issues/30#issuecomment-5007939
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

eigen

• View Profile
    • Pioneersgame.com
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2012, 06:06:22 pm »
Okay, I may have downloaded it from somewhere else. I remember Googling some dll file at one point but I'm not sure if it was this openal thing or not. I guess it was.

Haven't heard from you in a long while now, are you still interested?

Sorry, I was busy with another project for a couple of weeks but now I'm back. I'll send you a PM :)

The Terminator

• Windows and Mac C++ Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2012, 03:42:30 am »
I'm curious on how big this project is :P
Current Projects:
Technoport

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
AW: Re: Pioneers
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2012, 07:28:17 am »
I'm curious on how big this project is :P
Big in which terms?
It's a one man project (afaik) but it has a very good chance of getting commercial. ;)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

The Terminator

• Windows and Mac C++ Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2012, 06:45:48 pm »
I'm talking about how large the codebase is.
Current Projects:
Technoport

eigen

• View Profile
    • Pioneersgame.com
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2012, 07:30:03 pm »
I just counted each line of code by hand (not really) and the result is 27596 which is actually quite a lot but there's a bunch of bloated crappy code in there which should be cleaned up and re-used. And a lot of it is UI code (button click events etc.). Not happy with that.

I think I can manage it, though it's grown quite bit from the simple idea I had for it in the beginning. But I shall not give up!

Oh, and the new build is coming tomorrow or the day after that. There will be a bunch of sweet additions to the game :)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 05:16:07 pm by eigen »

eigen

• View Profile
    • Pioneersgame.com
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2012, 05:23:49 pm »
Build 4 is now available. It adds an overworld where you can sail around to search for new lands to explore. I also implemented a simple sailing mechanic with different kinds of winds. Plus other features like a new inventory system. Grab the latest build!

Download for Windows
Download for OS X

There is an 2012 Indie of the Year award thing going on at IndieDB and if you like the game I would appreciate it very much if you voted for it. Just go here, scroll down a little and press "Vote for this game". Thanks :)

A couple of screenshots:

« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 05:26:24 pm by eigen »

Haikarainen

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2012, 06:46:34 pm »
Sorry, I was busy with another project for a couple of weeks but now I'm back. I'll send you a PM :)

Do so! It would be really fun to continue porting this to linux as it develops :) Also we should get some kind of instant communication (skype, irc etc)

eigen

• View Profile
    • Pioneersgame.com
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2012, 09:53:15 am »
Yay, Pioneers made it's way into the Top 100 in the IndieDB award thingy. I now need your votes more than ever though I'd be totally happy even if I come last because of it's totla rad even making the cut.

Vote here - scroll down a little until you see Pioneers in the Role Playing section.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 10:42:53 am by eigen »