Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Vbo class  (Read 2423 times)

Tuffywub

• View Profile
    • Email
Vbo class
« on: July 02, 2013, 07:32:44 pm »
Hello, I was wondering about the future of the Graphics Module. Specifically, do you think that SFML will support vbos in the near future? There is already a wrapper around vertex arrays, but nothing for a vbo. Were the developers planning on doing this in the near future, or is this not going to be part of the library? It seems like it should be fairly simple to add this functionality, as it would be a near copy of the vertex array class. I have written my own wrapper around it, but I think it would be great to have the graphics module expose the performance of vbos to users in an easy way. Thanks! :)

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Re: Vbo class
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 07:39:50 pm »
If you can show me a use case where you really need more than a vertex array, I can consider it. But if you request it just because it would be easy to implement and VBOs are cool, I'll say no ;)
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Tuffywub

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Vbo class
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 07:45:48 pm »
Actually, I do have a case like that. I have a particle based map I am working on that has many small textured quads. When I get to a high enough amount of  particles/quads with the vertex array, it starts to really lag. I don't have the best graphics card myself, but I redid it with VBOs and the performance was MUCH better, as it should be. I don't think that it would really be necessary for MOST games, but when you have a ton of stuff to render, VBOs are the way to go. There's a reason pretty much everything else is deprecated ;).