Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Will a SFML program run on "ALL" PCs?  (Read 12588 times)

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Re: Will a SFML program run on "ALL" PCs?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 05:52:51 pm »
I don't see why one should look into CMake, it's great and so simple. After you know how to use it, you won't depend anymore on precompiled libraries (not only limited to SFML).
He is a beginner and he's lost. I think he expects a simple and clear answer -- "CMake" and "recompiling SFML" can be scary for a beginner.

You're always so much against statically linking the runtime library. I know there are more pros for dynamic linking than static linking but the argument that you really need to know what you do seems really scary although it's not
It is scary. I don't even know if SFML behaves as expected with this option on all compilers, according to how its dependencies were compiled (which I don't remember, of course).
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

zenroth

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 04:30:49 am »
It is scary. I don't even know if SFML behaves as expected with this option on all compilers, according to how its dependencies were compiled (which I don't remember, of course).
I did this with our recent product. From what I recall, I had to recompile the static SFML libs to use the same static linked runtimes, as the main app was using, otherwise it would pretty much just crash out. I was also only using the windowing/audio/input portion of SFML as well, so not sure if other dependencies would of needed similar treatment.

Raptor88

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 09:46:14 am »
capz, eXpl0it3r, Laurent and zenroth,

Thanks much for the info you all posted in this  thread.  I'm currently on vacation so have not checked the internet until now.

It sounds like one has to "pull some teeth" to get everything everything required to run a program in one .exe file.  But as long as it's possible and not "too" complicated, I'm willing to do the research necessary.  I'll just get my program working dynamically on my own PC first and cross that bridge if I ever get to it.  I'll be better versed with SFML by then and might have an easier time understanding everything.

Thanks much for all your posts,
Raptor

anything