Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [Game]Request for 1:1 Teaching/advising/guiding.  (Read 4128 times)

Zeneus

• View Profile
    • Email
[Game]Request for 1:1 Teaching/advising/guiding.
« on: July 01, 2012, 05:12:29 pm »
Hello folks :) My name is Harry and I am kind of new on SFML, although I have finished the tutorials, I need some guiding.
I have a small idea/vision, <like all of us, duh!>, of creating a game, of creating a game engine to make my life easier on creating a game.
I want to make a First Person Shooter game, in 3D.. I know I sound like most of the guys out there botting for help.. But are there any people in here that can 1:1 guide me or teach me ways of making this idea come true?
I mean, mailing/replying on a thread or something.
I have a very good knowledge on C++, and want to start learning OpenGL (on which I'm planning on creating the game.). If there are any people out there, please let me know :)

EDIT:: by the way if i'm in wrong section please move this :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 11:12:02 am by Zeneus »

game_maker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: [Game Engine/Game]Request for 1:1 Teaching/advising/guiding.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 05:33:51 pm »
I want to make a game engine too.
If u want, we can create a study group.

My MSN: pedroh.souza13@hotmail.com
My GMAIL: ↑                     @gmail.com

MorleyDev

• "It is not enough for code to work."
    • View Profile
    • http://www.morleydev.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 09:53:53 pm »
Today class, I recommend the following reading materials.
How to make a Video Game Engine in an easy flowchart
Write Games, Not Engines.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 09:56:37 pm by MorleyDev »
UnitTest11 - A unit testing library in C++ written to take advantage of C++11.

All code is guilty until proven innocent, unworthy until tested, and pointless without singular and well-defined purpose.

game_maker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 12:20:24 am »
Yes.

I am making a general game, so I will create an engine based in the game.

Goodbye!

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 12:52:17 am »
metazoa@live.com.pt

Its my msn contact, we can talk now and then if you want :)

Zeneus

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: [Game]Request for 1:1 Teaching/advising/guiding.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 10:58:03 am »
Today class, I recommend the following reading materials.
How to make a Video Game Engine in an easy flowchart
Write Games, Not Engines.
Thanks for the reply mate. But I want to make clear that I want to make a Game Engine, so that is easier to build games based on it. I know what an Engine is and what it does, but I dont know exactly how to start building it , and thats why I need guiding. I will give a shot to the links you provided, and I'll let you know :)

EDIT:: First of all, good luck with your website morley. second, i kind of agree, and now i get why unreal got so cool and stable, they were building a game, and trying to make it smoother and more efficient, when they turned it into an engine to create more games. Thanks for the enlightenment :)  So after editing the thread, is there anyone out there that can guide/teach/advise me for where to start and/or continue developing an fps game? any help will be appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 11:07:47 am by Zeneus »

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 05:14:57 pm »
You could always join the unofficial IRC #sfml channel. You probably won't get a direct 1:1 there, but you may get some hints from diffrent people and some might even take a bit more time to try to explain somethings.

Have you looked at various existing engines? They could let you focus more on the game logic part, or if you want still want to create your own engine they might teach/inspire you.
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Zeneus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 04:41:54 pm »
You could always join the unofficial IRC #sfml channel. You probably won't get a direct 1:1 there, but you may get some hints from diffrent people and some might even take a bit more time to try to explain somethings.

Have you looked at various existing engines? They could let you focus more on the game logic part, or if you want still want to create your own engine they might teach/inspire you.
Hey! Thanks for the tips eXpl0it3r :)
Ill try to join the irc, since i've never joined one, and see what i can get out of it.
And yes, I have used several engines, Unreal, Unity, Irrlicht, and some minor ones.
I can basically understand what engines are made for, from, what they do, how they do it, but i cant get to make one my self, because i dont know where to start from.i recently found a tutorial\guide (call it how ever u want) on how to build an advanced particles engine for various effects (blood, explosions, im sure u know), and im thinking of following it so i can get a bit of opengl :)
any more suggestions are welcome :)
yours faithfully,
                  Harry

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 07:49:02 pm »
I'm still not sure if you'll find someone that will guid you through creating an engine 1:1, because some people get paid to teach such stuff and the task isn't even near trivial (it can take years to create a complete engine)...
I guess you'd be better off by reading some books on that topic. Also google can reveal you so much knowledge (e.g. this). ;)

For a start you have to think about what an engine is, what its purpose is, which elements it should contain, etc. In combination with that you can think about how your engine will be organized (e.g. you could create an engine using the MVC design pattern). After that you have to think about how you'll map your idea onto C++ and OpenGL, what are the limitations, how should the interfaces look like. This step requires good knowledge in C++ and OpenGL, so you'll have to temper with them beforehand.
And only after planing it out carefully you can start coding. For this part I'd suggest to use TDD with reasonable refractoring steps.

This is the way I'd probably go...

Ill try to join the irc, since i've never joined one, and see what i can get out of it.
You should really get used to it, since it's the best and fastes source to get questions answered (e.g. you can post on a forum and if you're lucky someone will answer, but his answer is completly wrong and it can take you another day for an another answer. On IRC in the right channels you get instantly help and most of the time directly with the right solution and the follow up questions can be adress very fast too.)

i recently found a tutorial\guide (call it how ever u want) on how to build an advanced particles engine for various effects (blood, explosions, im sure u know), and im thinking of following it so i can get a bit of opengl :)
I don't really see how this should relate much to your game engine, since a partical engine is something compeltly diffrent...
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Zeneus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 03:01:26 pm »
I'm still not sure if you'll find someone that will guid you through creating an engine 1:1, because some people get paid to teach such stuff and the task isn't even near trivial (it can take years to create a complete engine)...
I guess you'd be better off by reading some books on that topic. Also google can reveal you so much knowledge (e.g. this). ;)

For a start you have to think about what an engine is, what its purpose is, which elements it should contain, etc. In combination with that you can think about how your engine will be organized (e.g. you could create an engine using the MVC design pattern). After that you have to think about how you'll map your idea onto C++ and OpenGL, what are the limitations, how should the interfaces look like. This step requires good knowledge in C++ and OpenGL, so you'll have to temper with them beforehand.
And only after planing it out carefully you can start coding. For this part I'd suggest to use TDD with reasonable refractoring steps.

This is the way I'd probably go...

You should really get used to it, since it's the best and fastes source to get questions answered (e.g. you can post on a forum and if you're lucky someone will answer, but his answer is completly wrong and it can take you another day for an another answer. On IRC in the right channels you get instantly help and most of the time directly with the right solution and the follow up questions can be adress very fast too.)

i recently found a tutorial\guide (call it how ever u want) on how to build an advanced particles engine for various effects (blood, explosions, im sure u know), and im thinking of following it so i can get a bit of opengl :)
I don't really see how this should relate much to your game engine, since a partical engine is something compeltly diffrent...

first of all thanks for the replies, i appreciate it :).
i actually know what an engine is and what is its job.
I found an OpenGL tutor, andi have already started. I am checking the links u provided right now.
Also I think that particles are a part of the game engine, when talking on the graphics part.(designing via engine/adding effects.)
and now a question, is there a way to create a sfml window, with the given base as the tutorial on the website, and implement in it some opengl code? lets say a polygon or a square?
thanks again!