Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: sf::Image::loadFromFile test case  (Read 6159 times)

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
Re: sf::Image::loadFromFile test case
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 11:13:26 am »
If there's something that can convert them on the fly or in batches that would be fine, but there are thousands of them. Manually converting them is out of the question.

If you're using Windows (may also work in wine) you could use IrfanView which is very small, fast and contains a batch mode that lets you do many diffrent things.
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Silvah

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 04:37:27 pm »
What are you trying to demonstrate with this blog article about web development?
That people are using 8-bit PNGs, isn't it obvious? There's more to that article than web development, though: it shows that 8-bit PNG is sometimes the best choice if you want the smallest possible file. Good lossless compression is the whole point of PNG, isn't it? Sure, the gain may be just a few kilobytes per image. But it adds up.

If so, this is totally irrelevant here.
Why do you think it's irrelevant?

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 05:27:15 pm »
That people are using 8-bit PNGs, isn't it obvious?
That web developers are using 8-bit PNGs. Which has nothing to do with this conversation.

Why do you think it's irrelevant?
Because it doesn't help anyone in this thread.

I truly like the fact that you correct my least important errors on this forum, I appreciate. But you do it in such an irritating way... and, sadly, I don't have the time to be 100% correct in my answers anymore, so this is even more irritating. Try to be more friendly, and less "ah ah!! stupid you, one more mistake!". Please :)
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Silvah

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 01:42:56 pm »
That web developers are using 8-bit PNGs. Which has nothing to do with this conversation.
You miss the point. I could explain you why 8-bit PNG support is a good thing to have and why they're sometimes quite a tangible improvement over 24-bit or 32-bit PNGs (and why optimizing PNGs is a good idea in general), but I'm afraid you're not willing to listen.

But you do it in such an irritating way... and, sadly, I don't have the time to be 100% correct in my answers anymore, so this is even more irritating. Try to be more friendly, and less "ah ah!! stupid you, one more mistake!".
I'm sorry if you feel that way, I don't mean to cause any offense. Aren't you taking this far too personal?

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 02:45:56 pm »
I just wanted to say that, in my opinion, it would be far more helpful if you posted clear and detailed replies instead of your short answers that feel like "you're stupid, I know the truth, but I'm not going to tell you". Do you remember your reply in another thread about Unicode literals? and you remember that I didn't reply? guess why... ;)

I really appreciate your posts on this forum, because you obviously know much more than most of us in many areas, and your answers are always technically accurate. But just say what you want to say, loud and clear.

For example, instead of "Yeah sure" you could have written:
Laurent, let me disagree, I think that 8-bit PNGs are still very useful for the following reasons:
So I think it's important to support them in SFML, if possible.

I'll open a new issue on the tracker so that other users can share their opinion, and you can investigate it later if you're convinced.

This would be much more efficient and helpful, in my opinion.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

anything