Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFML API ugliness  (Read 12305 times)

kurasu1415

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: SFML API ugliness
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 07:21:47 pm »
I don't really understand the point of the hate. If you have criticisms, then state them, and explain how you would change them, or better yet, write your own library. I personally think SFML is definitely one of the best OpenSource APIs, and I think that Laurent has done a fantastic job. Obviously one can't be perfect, but on a realistic level, I think SFML is a great example of a fantastic OpenSource API. Look at something like Direct X. It is gaudy and limited as well as worked on by a LOT of paid people. Despite all of that though the general ease of use and quality of Direct X is horrible.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 09:18:36 am »
Obviously there were no arguments, rather a personal style preference, which is correspondingly useful for an objective discussion. There is not much benefit from resurrecting the thread ;)
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

TheVirtualDragon

• View Profile
    • Control + Alt + Delete!
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2012, 12:38:49 pm »
I know everyone has already stated that it is just BHXSpecter's opinion is just an opinion, but I find this situation strange. SFML is open source, so if BHXSpecter finds SFML so ugly, then why doesn't he create his own version? You can't critisize something if, a) You don't know how hard it is to create something so epic in the first place and b) If you don't have any evidence. BHXSpecter seems to not have a very good argument, which I suspect he/she has realised at which point they started being defensive by saying things like this:

As I said, it is just my opinion. Any ugliness I think there is I just remedy by wrapping them in a function of my own. I don't stress over it, lot easier just to wrap them and keep going than to worry about the developers possibly fixing them.

I strongly disagree with the above quote anyway, because if you can see an improvement, then point it out.

Also, when you say something is good or bad, you are just comparing it to something else. For example, a banana is good because it is better than some chocolate. Here, BHXSpecter is not comparing SFML to other APIs, but rather to his own version of the perfect library, which is completely unjustified. You have to compare things to something similar, which actually exists, not something which you would like to exist. This is like saying, a banana is bad because it is not as exotic as Martian Red Monkey Grape. See what I mean?

Sorry about this, but I feel that SFML is an excellent library, and you just can't say it's bad without having any strong reason.

P.S. If you think SFML is so ugly, then why do you use it anyway? Maybe it's the best library out there? Or maybe you are just not bothered to write your own library?

kaB00M

• View Profile
    • Caffeware
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2012, 07:46:52 pm »

noobie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2012, 08:01:25 pm »
this ^

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2012, 08:12:07 pm »
As Nexus already said:
Obviously there were no arguments, rather a personal style preference, which is correspondingly useful for an objective discussion. There is not much benefit from resurrecting the thread ;)
So please stop writing/ranting/trolling in here, unless it's really related to the topic (ranting about BHXSpecter isn't related to the topic). Als kaB00m & noobie, writing such useless things is imho considered spamming.

Since BHXSpecter doesn't care to answer anymore, this thread should be closed to prevent further ranting/spamming.
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/