Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Install for OSX Mountain Lion  (Read 4394 times)

DavidJohns

• View Profile
    • Email
Install for OSX Mountain Lion
« on: August 03, 2012, 07:59:15 pm »
Just wanted to post about my experience installing on Mountain Lion.  I had used SFML 1.6 on Xcode 3.4 under Snow Leopard and updated everything in one day... OS, XCode and SFML and was getting the errors others reported on the forum like not finding the include files for framework based projects and not finding the libs for non-framework projects that prevented even a straight template project from building.  I had first tried 2.0 RC installer.  But then downloaded the latest 2.0 snapshot and built it and used the templates from it rather than the RC.  I thought RC meant it was the latest, but now I get it that the snapshot has several things fixed that the RC doesn't have yet. I had to install XQuartz also to get the project to run.

All this done, and it seems to be working ok.  Thanks for a great cross platform solution!

Bocaj

• View Profile
Re: Install for OSX Mountain Lion
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 08:11:19 pm »
Why you must install Xquartz: https://github.com/SFML/SFML/issues/241

DavidJohns

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 10:52:36 pm »
Yes, thanks, I saw that.  I'm still uncertain how to go about distributing this application without requiring XQuartz. I'm a couple months away from that, maybe some best practices on that and good walkthrough on how to do it will be available by then.

jokoon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 11:47:07 am »
But then downloaded the latest 2.0 snapshot and built it and used the templates from it rather than the RC.  I thought RC meant it was the latest, but now I get it that the snapshot has several things fixed that the RC doesn't have yet. I had to install XQuartz also to get the project to run.

Could you be more precise about the steps you achieved ? After generating the xcodeproj with cmake, how do you install it ?

How are the templates installed in xcode ? (I checked the tickbox in cmake)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 11:49:15 am by jokoon »

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 06:15:42 pm »
Read the tutorial carefully, every questions you currently have are answered in it; especially the part where it say you should not use Xcode generator for CMake...
SFML / OS X developer

jokoon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 06:39:45 pm »
Read the tutorial carefully, every questions you currently have are answered in it; especially the part where it say you should not use Xcode generator for CMake...

So you can confirm the SFML 2 rc installer doesn't work on mountain lion ? Or is there a fix ?

DavidJohns

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 06:55:44 pm »

I will try to recall the steps.  I followed the tutorial link from the 2.0 download page. (click on the download sidebar from the main SFML page, You see the 2.0 snapshot link where you can download the dev files.  Just below that is the tutorial link.)

I downloaded cmake and used the gui version.  I created a unix make file rather than an xcode template under the configure step.  At that point it wouldn't work until I downloaded XQuartz.  Then it configured and I was able to generate the make file.

Then I opened Terminal and cd'd to the output folder where cmake put the build files and did, make -f Makefile (I think that was the right syntax, took me a bit to get it right as I recall.)

I had manually copied the templates from the 2.0 snapshot download.  They are in tools/xcode/templates.  I just copied the SFML folder in there to my /Library/Developer/Xcode/templates  folder.  It seems that everything else got copied ok.  I studied where everything went by looking at the manual installation package for the 2.0 RC (mac OSX 32+64bits)  The readme in there explains where stuff goes.

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 06:59:04 pm »
I didn't test it personally as I don't have ML yet, but it should work. There were two bugs in the RC that are now fixed, however they are not related to OS X directly but rather Xcode. And they don't influence the installation process.

Issue #233 can be fixed "by hand" very easily.

Issue #212 can be workaround by using frameworks and not dylibs.

(However, other bugs were also fixed, like this one. But this doesn't break the installer at all.)

@DavidJohns: if you compile SFML yourself you can automatically install the new version of the templates. Search for "SFML_INSTALL_XCODE4_TEMPLATES" in the tutorial.  ;)
SFML / OS X developer

jokoon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 07:49:14 pm »
adding correct search paths was enough, thanks !

anything