Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Versioning numbers  (Read 16931 times)

jbadams

• View Profile
Versioning numbers
« on: September 21, 2007, 12:50:54 pm »
Regarding the bug-fix update to SFML 1.1 announced on the website and in the releases thread, would it be possible to get a new revision number (a minor one such as 1.1.1 if you wish) for such fixes in future?  I understand that it's unlikely to cause significant if any difficulty given the current low install-base of the library and with this site being the only download source, but it's not particularly good practice that there are now effectively two different versions of the library out there labelled v1.1, particularly given that one of the versions is apparently buggy.  

As the library gains popularity similar releases in future without a new revision number could cause quite a headache for people supporting the library: "But which version x.y are you using?"

This isn't an issue with code checked out from the source repository as people should expect reduced support and the possibility of bugs from those, but I strongly feel that every official release should always be distinctly marked from previous versions.  You've created an excellent library with great documentation, and it would be a shame to see any increased difficulty in usability and support in future due to confusion about which version someone is using.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Versioning numbers
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 03:28:50 pm »
You're right. But this update was an exception, there was one or two bugs that needed to be fixed as soon as possible ; it was not an "official release". And it won't happen again ;)

By the way, I makes me think about a solution to avoid such situations. I'm going to open a new discussion for this.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

anything