Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Dynamically linked SFML on Fedora  (Read 2105 times)

pdinklag

• JSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • JSFML Website
Dynamically linked SFML on Fedora
« on: August 27, 2012, 12:57:20 pm »
I recently tried to run SFML on Fedora 17, only to get an error that I was missing libjpeg8. The problem here is that the Fedora repositories do not maintain libjpeg but only libjpeg-turbo, hence I had to grab it from an external source as an RPM package.

Now the SFML build I tried is one that I linked on an Ubuntu system, where I linked against libjpeg. The API of libjpeg-turbo is downward-compatible to that of libjpeg, so in theory, it should all just be fine. However, the package name is different, and that's where the problems begin

Is there any way I can link SFML (or modify the shared objects) so that both libjpeg and libjpeg-turbo are supported? Or will I have to link specifically against libjpeg-turbo to make things work for Fedora?
Do the SFML build scripts have any special rules for this, btw?
JSFML - The Java binding to SFML.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Re: Dynamically linked SFML on Fedora
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 08:16:40 pm »
I think it's your distribution that should create a link libjpeg -> libjpeg-turbo, so that all applications linked against libjpeg can work out of the box. I don't think that every library should have a special rule because some distribution has a jpeg lib with a different name.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

pdinklag

• JSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • JSFML Website
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 08:42:41 pm »
OK, good to know.
I'm surprised nobody seemed to have tried this on Fedora yet, because I'm sure they would have had the same issue. Either a lucky incidence or I'm doing something terribly wrong. :)
JSFML - The Java binding to SFML.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 09:06:23 pm »
There has to be a simple official solution. I can't believe they would live with such a difference.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

anything