Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [Important] I need beta-testers for SFML  (Read 7326 times)

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
[Important] I need beta-testers for SFML
« on: September 21, 2007, 03:38:38 pm »
Hi !

In order to avoid the issue which happened with SFML 1.1 (some major bugs to fix quickly) in the future, I'd like to do some beta-tests before releasing any new version of SFML.

So, I'm looking for persons who :
- Would have enough free-time to test properly each new version of SFML
- Can use SVN to get and compile the SFML source code

Your help will be very precious and will help me to make SFML even better.

I you want to contribute, please answer to this post, and I'll contact you by PM.

Thank you :)
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Pwndja

• View Profile
I'm down
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 06:07:38 pm »
If you need things to be tested I wouldn't mine helping out. Just reply to this and let me know what needs to be tested.

Happy coding :)

PS: I check your forums like 3 times a day... So I will respond promptly.

lancel00t

• ICQ Messenger - 449212638
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dripdropliner@ao
    • View Profile
    • http://www.watsontechgroup.com
Willing to Beta Test
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 10:51:08 pm »
Hi Laurent, drop me a PM, as I am willing to participate in Beta Testing.

PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 11:31:24 am »
I'm not signing up for the beta-test team, I just want to make suggestion.

Why don't you release the "Release Candidate" versions before making the actual release?
For example, when you think you're ready to release the next version. You release the "SFML 1.2 RC1". Then you wait. Waiting for a week or two should be enough. If bugs are reported in the RC1, you fix them, and release "SFML 1.2 RC2" and so on. When you reach the stage where no bugs are found in the RC version - you simply rename that RC version to "SFML 1.2" (you simply remove the "RC#" part), and you call that the official stable release.

I think, that would be a lot better, because *anyone* who can download the RC versions would be able to test them, not just some (possibly small) group of beta testers.

Anyway, it's just a suggestion. ;)

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 01:18:00 pm »
Each release (candidate or not) is a lot of data to upload / organize, and it just takes me too much time. And if I need to make a new release just to test a bug fix, it's even more time wasted. Add the fact that I need to contact external people for some builds (like the OSX one, or AMD64 Linux), and it's completely unmanageable.

What will help me with this new idea, is the fact that people will use SVN, so that I can only upload all the stuff for the official release.

But... In fact I could just announce when a new release candidate is ready, and then wait for feedback from people using SVN. No need to create a beta-test team.

No more need for beta-testers, thank you :D

(Sorry, I'm moving from France to Singapore, my thoughts are not currently very clear)
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer