Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: I'm trying to add Music Module and MIDI playback to SFML.  (Read 2754 times)

SamuraiCrow

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - samuraileumas
    • View Profile
I'm trying to add Music Module and MIDI playback to SFML.
« on: January 14, 2009, 03:45:32 am »
Hello,

I've written a primitive music compiler for the old Amiga computers and I'd like to port it to SFML as cross-platform portable code.  This will allow the embedded stand-alone music code to link itself in to the host executable and avoid the overhead of a complete music file interpreter.

I've seen in the MIDI thread under the Audio help forum that there is a demand for something like this but it is difficult to implement.

What I need to know is does OpenAL Soft allow me to enqueue a looping sample after a non-looping one?  What about a looping sample that alternates between playing frontward and backward?  (This is also known as "Ping-Pong" looping.)  These are all techniques that will be required to make an OpenAL Soft version of MIDI or Music Modules.

Please let me know what you think about this idea.

SamuraiCrow

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - samuraileumas
    • View Profile
I'm trying to add Music Module and MIDI playback to SFML.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 02:01:59 am »
Update:

Ping-pong looping will have to be converted to standard looping by doubling the length of the sample and making the second half reverse order.  It wastes memory but it will work.

anything