Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Input differences for different controllers  (Read 1894 times)

Jebbs

• DSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Input differences for different controllers
« on: September 23, 2012, 10:20:48 am »
Hey guys,

I've been playing around with some joystick stuff today and it made me wonder how the input varies from controller to controller. Does anyone know if companies make them more or less the same in terms of which thumbstick relates to which set of axis, button numbers to button locations, etc? I only have one controller so I can't really test this out, but I would really want more than one kind of game pad to work with my games with out the need to a lot of testing in this area.

Also, if input does varies from controller to controller, how do you guys handle things?

Thanks as usual!
DSFML - SFML for the D Programming Language.

thePyro_13

• View Profile
Re: Input differences for different controllers
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 02:13:15 pm »
Their's no guarantee that they'll be the same between different brands. I suspect the a lot of companies will be following the 360 controller 'standard'(at least on Windows PCs) but their are a lot that don't; and many controllers which pre-date the 360.

The best way to deal with it is simply to provide a really comprehensive rebinding menu and use a common controller(probably the 360 one) as the default layout.

mateandmetal

• The bird is the word
    • View Profile
    • my blog
Re: Input differences for different controllers
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 08:23:05 pm »
I think all the gamepads have the same X and Y axes, so you can do your game character move on the screen according to this axes.

The rest of the axes and the button numbers are different on each device. The start button on a PS controller != start button on the X360 controller.

The best way to deal with it is simply to provide a really comprehensive rebinding menu and use a common controller(probably the 360 one) as the default layout.

Exactly
- Mate (beverage) addict
- Heavy metal addict _lml
- SFML 2 addict
- My first (and free) game: BichingISH!