Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: HSL Color Standard  (Read 18861 times)

quarks

• View Profile
Re: Wiki
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 05:43:30 pm »
If we change page naming scheme, maybe we can manage keeping existing links in the same way than we do with mediawiki (wikipedia and rosettacode), with just a #redirect "NewName" in the old page.
I don't know if github wiki is able to manage this.

I would be pleased to help with the wiki.

The things I would be happy to do are:
- contact all the contributors to ask for a license change (Laurent or the community have to choose a license first)
- check for all code samples to have a consistent formating
- rename pages with a consistent naming scheme
- maybe import the most important/usefull contents from the old wiki (also needs to contact authors)
- maybe other things, if you provide a TODO list

But to do so I would need your help arround because I know mediawiki quite well, but I just created a github account to access SFML's wiki.

By the way I don't know how to rename a page. Github's wiki even renamed a page I've created yesterday, by removing the case.
I've not found yet how to contact (private message) someone from his github account.

Also I've noticed that this appeared on my newly created account:
https://github.com/blue-prawn/SFML
I do not have planed to fork SFML, and I don't remember having done something even by accident, so why is this thing here ? how can I remove it ?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 05:46:34 pm by quarks »

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
Re: HSL Color Standard
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 05:53:25 pm »
Well for wiki page renaming you're kind of late... See here. ;)
GitHub does not support redirects, and creating x dummy pages just with a link to the new page doesn't seem like a nice solution. It would not only make the wiki pages have a nice overview, but it will also prevent people from actually changing the links...

As for the importing entries from the old into the new wiki, I don't see really see a need for contacting the authors. I mean if it's at place A or at place B doesn't really matter and since it's still the wiki of SFML and not some other project you don't actually change anything.

Also see this thread about a default license, but feel free to contact every contributor (if you find out who's behind the projects). :)

As for the consistent formatting, you should make the decision probably for each wiki page, because every developer has a different idea of what 'the correct way' is and many probably won't like your style. So if you find some irregularities within the source code of someone, feel free to change it, but changing every code to your style won't please everyone. ;)

Also you must have once clicked "Fork" on the SFML GitHub site. It then automatically forks SFML, if you want it to or not. But you can easily remove it again (Admin->Repositories or similar).

Github's wiki even renamed a page I've created yesterday
No, that was probably me. ;D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 05:55:23 pm by eXpl0it3r »
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

quarks

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 07:35:05 pm »
Well for wiki page renaming you're kind of late...

Please avoid acerbic tone.

I was refering to this (in this same thread):

I'm unsure though, if it makes sense to change all the titles, because it will probably break every link on the forum to a specific topic, then again that's just a small problem and the bigger win would be a nice title naming scheme... ;)

Yeah, I don't know exactly how to handle existing URLs. But since github change the way they work, something must be done. At least update the rules.

quarks

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 07:35:55 pm »
As for the importing entries from the old into the new wiki, I don't see really see a need for contacting the authors. I mean if it's at place A or at place B doesn't really matter and since it's still the wiki of SFML and not some other project you don't actually change anything.

Also see this thread about a default license, but feel free to contact every contributor (if you find out who's behind the projects). :)

If the license is not the same, we should ask the authors for changing the license of their content.

quarks

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 07:43:21 pm »
As for the consistent formatting, you should make the decision probably for each wiki page, because every developer has a different idea of what 'the correct way' is and many probably won't like your style. So if you find some irregularities within the source code of someone, feel free to change it, but changing every code to your style won't please everyone. ;)

No, this is not what I meant.
I mean when there are real formating errors. Like different levels in the same block of code, or real inconsistency. (There was some in the HSL piece of code.)
The point is to keep code readable, not to change the style of the original author.

Also some people read pages on small screens. Other people use bigger font size than the original submiter. So very long lines of code (more than 120) are sometimes impossible to read until the end.

quarks

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 07:46:57 pm »
Also you must have once clicked "Fork" on the SFML GitHub site. It then automatically forks SFML, if you want it to or not. But you can easily remove it again (Admin->Repositories or similar).

Maybe, because there are several display bugs for github with the web browser I use.
But still I don't think so, because I also see forks without any changes on the page of the other people that have contribute to the wiki. I know that github will automatically fork if one makes a pull request, so mabe there's something similar for the wiki?

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 11:03:21 pm »

I was refering to this (in this same thread):
[...]

:o
There wasn't any tone in my sentence I just said the obvious truth. ;D
And if you still didn't get it, I've already changed all the titles and page names, there is nothing to be done anymore and if you had read the linked thread you'd also see that now all the links are broken. So the decision has already been made and executed, thus if you were willing to do it, you're already too late, because it already happened. Get it? :D

Please don't write a post for each quote, it makes it much harder to read and uses a lot of unnecessary space... :-\

If the license is not the same, we should ask the authors for changing the license of their content.
Sure! ;)
It's just for the future entries and for the ones you can't reach. We've already informed every reader of the forum with the other thread I linked, so they know, if they want a different license they have to change it now, otherwise the default license will apply.

Maybe, because there are several display bugs for github with the web browser I use.
But still I don't think so, because I also see forks without any changes on the page of the other people that have contribute to the wiki. I know that github will automatically fork if one makes a pull request, so mabe there's something similar for the wiki?
You got some strange assumption there. ???
Just because the browser does show somethings differently won't change the data on the GitHub servers. ^^
Could be that there's some other way how you get a fork, but I did never get one when editing the wiki. But like I said just remove it and everything is fine again. :D

@Laurent: Could you please make this discussion into an own thread since it doesn't have anything to do with the HSL code... ;)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

masskiller

• Pointers to Functions rock!
    • MSN Messenger - kyogre_jb@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2012, 06:14:33 am »
This is the same code, only the variable and class names are different.
The implementation is exactly the same, while one could implement this in different ways.
So please...

I strongly support this argument, the formula for conversion is not mine at all, I just took it and put it in C++ after trying to comprehend it a bit. Then again while I get quarks' point for making a big fuss over code copyrights, in my case I currently just don't care if my code gets stolen or used/modified in anyway (18 year old student with no "real" work experience). I just wanted to help out and save others from the headaches concealed if this types of functions.

I mean when there are real formating errors. Like different levels in the same block of code, or real inconsistency. (There was some in the HSL piece of code.)
The point is to keep code readable, not to change the style of the original author.

This was my bad, it was my first time trying to put something into the wiki and after two hours of trying I just gave up. I just checked it and saw that eXpl0it3r took the time to fix it while I had left my page untouched for over a week, thanks and sorry for the inconvenience.

Sure! ;)
It's just for the future entries and for the ones you can't reach. We've already informed every reader of the forum with the other thread I linked, so they know, if they want a different license they have to change it now, otherwise the default license will apply.

I am young and ignorant in regards to this, if there is anything I should learn to not have an issue like this again happen with my code I'm willing to learn.

Programmer, Artist, Composer and Storyline/Script Writer of "Origin of Magic". If all goes well this could turn into a commercial project!

Finally back into the programming world!

guarks

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2012, 09:34:45 pm »

:o
There wasn't any tone in my sentence I just said the obvious truth. ;D
And if you still didn't get it, I've already changed all the titles and page names, there is nothing to be done anymore and if you had read the linked thread you'd also see that now all the links are broken. So the decision has already been made and executed, thus if you were willing to do it, you're already too late, because it already happened. Get it? :D

Thank you for your work on the wiki. It is indeed better now.
But the "obvious truth" as you said is that you did that after we started to talk about it.

For the acerbity, I guess you don't talk to your customers or boss or teacher that way.
Please do not do it here too.

guarks

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2012, 09:39:10 pm »
Please don't write a post for each quote, it makes it much harder to read and uses a lot of unnecessary space... :-\

my teachers taught us to do so: "one subject = one message"

I'm not the kind to follow blindly what I'm taught. I've tryed with and without, and in practice I can say that this is always the better option.
Sometimes I don't because it's a little bit harder to do, and takes more time, but when I don't it happens quite often that I have to regret it.

I would recommend everyone to do the same, being for emails, posts, and even phone calls.

guarks

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2012, 09:43:41 pm »
Sure! ;)

We can not assume that wiki contributors will read this message on the forum.

We need a real and explicit approbation of the authors to change their content licensing.

guarks

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2012, 09:46:30 pm »
You got some strange assumption there. ???
Just because the browser does show somethings differently won't change the data on the GitHub servers. ^^

The "logout" button is just displayed as an empty rectangle, so I had to try click on it to see that's the logout button.

Maybe the "fork" button is also displayed in a buggy way, and maybe I've clicked on it by accident.

guarks

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2012, 09:57:04 pm »
This is the same code, only the variable and class names are different.
The implementation is exactly the same, while one could implement this in different ways.
So please...

I strongly support this argument, the formula for conversion is not mine at all, I just took it and put it in C++ after trying to comprehend it a bit. Then again while I get quarks' point for making a big fuss over code copyrights, in my case I currently just don't care if my code gets stolen or used/modified in anyway (18 year old student with no "real" work experience). I just wanted to help out and save others from the headaches concealed if this types of functions.

I just said that I was surprised to read the same piece of code with different author names. I'm not the police.

In practice I know that a lot of people who provide code don't really care, or even don't care at all.
But I also know that there are also a lot of people who care a lot about their code and the licensing they have chosen.

guarks

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2012, 09:59:52 pm »

This was my bad, it was my first time trying to put something into the wiki and after two hours of trying I just gave up. I just checked it and saw that eXpl0it3r took the time to fix it while I had left my page untouched for over a week, thanks and sorry for the inconvenience.

Don't worry, wikis are made for this.
Just dump your draft, and don't loose your time.
Someone will correct if it needs so.

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2012, 10:07:31 pm »
my teachers taught us to do so: "one subject = one message"
Over a quarter of the space you used was the space between posts.
For the acerbity, I guess you don't talk to your customers or boss or teacher that way.
Last time I checked exploiter was not your student or employee..
We need a real and explicit approbation of the authors to change their content licensing.
Why? What were they thinking when putting it there and not in projects forum or on own website? If anything there should be a rule that everything is under zlib or MIT with deafulting to zlib if not specified, else it goes to projects forum. What is the use of a wiki that is a projects catalogue instead of being quick free solution to problems?
Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023