Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: EmuBoard (Controller Typing Program)  (Read 3191 times)

xylr117z4

• View Profile
    • Email
EmuBoard (Controller Typing Program)
« on: October 22, 2012, 03:37:22 am »
So I have a computer with a video card which I can hook up to my old 40" CRT TV.
My original problem was I only have a early 90s keyboard with a PS/2 hook up and I've yet to see an extender for those.
I heard about the next Steam update not too long ago, the "Big Picture" mode, which includes an interface for typing with a controller.
As my friend was explaining it to me I thought of how that would be and started work on this program before really looking at Valve's interface.
Much to my surprise there's no support for XP (which is reasonable.)
That gave my program a purpose, since I won't be updating my OS until I get a new PC.
The only problem I've been having is designing a UI for my program.

TL;DR: I need some help designing the graphics of my program... here's some screenies of the program as of now...

I also have it forced to the bottom corner of the screen on top of everything (Thanks to 2.0 now having a way to get the system handle :P)
and BTW I'm using the Jewels theme for XP.

Edit: I updated the interface a little since I've been messing around with blender.
Edit2: Updated the program now has support for Hiding the window, a shift key and common punctuation.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 10:55:27 pm by xylr117z4 »

xylr117z4

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: EmuBoard
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 06:53:07 am »
If any one cares I've updated the Background image so it doesn't look like an mspaint piece of shit.

Edit: if any one is interested I could zip this up and post it on the wiki...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 07:27:47 am by xylr117z4 »

masskiller

• Pointers to Functions rock!
    • MSN Messenger - kyogre_jb@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: EmuBoard (Controller Typing Program)
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 04:52:17 am »
Go ahead and post it, I don't have a controller myself so I wouldn't get anything from it, but that shouldn't stop you from posting your code in as much sources as possible, someone might find it useful.
Programmer, Artist, Composer and Storyline/Script Writer of "Origin of Magic". If all goes well this could turn into a commercial project!

Finally back into the programming world!

xylr117z4

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: EmuBoard (Controller Typing Program)
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 06:46:49 pm »
Go ahead and post it, I don't have a controller myself so I wouldn't get anything from it, but that shouldn't stop you from posting your code in as much sources as possible, someone might find it useful.

I'll add mouse emulation support and fix compatablility issues with other controllers then I'll post the program.
and as I said earlier this program is really only useful if you want to use a desktop or what ever from your couch

Edit: I also need to clean up my code I have a fuction in the main loop which looks for what set of characters the buttons would input... I was planning on putting it in a class but havent yet but seeing as sfml 2.0 removed the need for sf::Input& it'll be pretty easy :P

I just remember how messy my code is... I'll clean it up once I get home today.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 08:17:46 pm by xylr117z4 »