Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Tutorial on SFML 2.1 with VC++ 10  (Read 3786 times)

djtmaranhao

• View Profile
    • Email
Tutorial on SFML 2.1 with VC++ 10
« on: September 26, 2013, 12:44:08 pm »
Just for the record, the tutorial here is great, but there's one thing wrong there that costed me a lot of time today when I was configuring it. In the part that the tutorial says that you have to add the .lib files(sfml-graphics.lib, sfml-window.lib and sfml-system.lib) it shows a picture where all the files are only separated by an empty space like " "(e.g.: sfml-graphics.lib sfml-window.lib sfml-system.lib kernel32;...). Actually it needs ";" between them( sfml-graphics.lib; sfml-window.lib; sfml-system.lib; kernel32;...). Okay, I had to come here to say this because maybe it'll save a lot of time for new users like me.

Fitzy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tutorial on SFML 2.1 with VC++ 10
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 01:36:52 pm »
Hey, djtmaranhao.

Is there any reason why you're using VC++ 10? Why not VC++ 11(2012) or VC++ 12(2013).

I have a post of how to setup SFML in Visual C++ 12( Visual Studio 2013 RC) I have compiled the libs for you, setup a template for you that adds the libs to the project settings so all you need to do is follow a few "unzips" in the right directories and you're set.

The link: http://en.sfml-dev.org/forums/index.php?topic=13010.0

This method just makes it far easier to beginners and uses a more up-to-date IDE which I personally think is the best C++ IDE currently available, couple that with Visual Assist X and you're good to go with C++ re-factoring, easy code navigation, syntax coloring and much more.

- Hope this helps.

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 02:15:27 pm »
Last time I mentioned the same issue, Laurent said that it's working fine with spaces in Visual Studio 20058, which is what he seems to be using. When I use spaces in VS10 or VS11, I'll get a linker error...

I have a post of how to setup SFML in Visual C++ 12( Visual Studio 2013 RC) I have compiled the libs for you, setup a template for you that adds the libs to the project settings so all you need to do is follow a few "unzips" in the right directories and you're set.
Suggesting to use not yet released software isn't always that good. Things might crash for no reason what so ever. An upgrade to VS11 is certainly an option though. ;)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 04:46:20 pm by eXpl0it3r »
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 04:02:55 pm »
1.6 was supposedly maintained with 2008 Professional. :-X Downgrade makes little sense?(bugs, even more incompliance to standard than 2008, less features(express) or cost and hard to get(professional)).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 04:05:54 pm by FRex »
Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 07:31:06 pm »
Hey, I'm using VS 2012 now :P
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Fitzy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 11:14:15 am »
It's all about Visual Studio 2013 ^^. Regardless, it's on RC now and I've seen no issues with it, it's faster in everyway!