Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: You cannot use the screensaver on this computer (MacOsx 10.6.8, SFML 2.0, xcode  (Read 11817 times)

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
I used cmake to create the "SFML.xcodeproj"
There's your error and here what's the tutorial says about it :
Moreover, the installation process (described later in this document) may not work with the "Xcode" generator; therefore it is higthly recommended to use the "Makefile" generator on Mac OS X.
;)

11 & 12) No I don't think it's useful because Obj-C's GC is already deprecated. Now there is that ARC-thing which is better on every point I think (and Apple promotes only ARC right now). Beside that, you're the first one that needs it so... I prefer not distributing something that might lead people to use some deprecated stuff; and if one needs it (s)he can simply recompile SFML.
SFML / OS X developer

starmessage

• View Profile
    • View the moon phase and write your name in the stars
Huira, thanks very much for your help and guidance.

13) Indeed, I did not use the "Makefile" generator because I would not know how to proceed afterwards with the compilation. What would be the output of CMAKE and how should I compile it?
I know how to proceed with xcode project, so I prefered to go against the warning of the tutorial instead of going to a totally unknown place (makefile generator).

14) Also, I tried to enter the garbage collection= supported in the CMAKE parameters (see attached screenshot) but I was not successful. The setting I added was removed from the configuration screen of CMAKE when I click configure or generate. So the only place I know for this setting is inside the xcode project.

I will read to learn how to accomplish these two tasks and report back here the results.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 08:56:16 am by starmessage »

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
very short answer because I'm waaay behind schedule for a lot of things :

13 & 14) everything is in the cmake tutorial. in case you don't know anything about makefile just google it a bit. you don't need to write makefile yourself but should be able to use one (i.e. use the make command). for the configuration-thing, make sure you pressed the 'configure' button before generating anything – and use makefile generator.
SFML / OS X developer

starmessage

• View Profile
Dear Hiura, thanks a lot for your help.

I was finally able to compile OK with makefiles on mac.
The resulting screensaver, stopped having the problem with the garbage collection.

However, when I copied the .saver package to a mountain lion mac, I saw again the same error message, which probably means that mountain lion needs a different treatment for GC. That was a quick test, I cannot report more details right now. (I am working on window's part this period of time.)

Thanks again

Acrobat

• View Profile
Up. What do you do if there is no errors in console log ?
I have no problems on my computer, but it does not work on other.
Error :
Contact the developer of this screen saver for a newer version.
You cannot use the Lagoon screen saver on this computer.

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
There has to be a more detailed error somewhere. At least I hope so!

Did you try to launch your screen saver from the command line ? Maybe you'll get a better picture of the error.
SFML / OS X developer

starmessage

• View Profile
this error is probably due to a miss match between 32 vs 64 bit OS and/or
garbage collection Off/ Supported.

You can see a more detailed error if you run it via xcode and using the ScreenSaverEngine as the runner of your .saver

Acrobat

• View Profile
this error is probably due to a miss match between 32 vs 64 bit OS and/or
garbage collection Off/ Supported.
this works on my computer.

I did some test, looks like my dylib can't be loaded by screensaver (SFML linked static), without this library it works on other machines

I also tried to copy this library to all possible directories in copy phase
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 10:22:50 am by Acrobat »

Acrobat

• View Profile
I've managed to run screensaver on other computer, the problem is i had to copy my dylib and snd framework to ScreenSaverEngine content. Any ideas how to solve this ? Seems to me the @executable_path is wrong for loading dylibs

starmessage

• View Profile
in xcode you can add an extra build step of type "copy files" that you can configure to include the dylibs or frameworks inside the screensaver bundle.

Acrobat

• View Profile
in xcode you can add an extra build step of type "copy files" that you can configure to include the dylibs or frameworks inside the screensaver bundle.
Please read again.

I also tried to copy this library to all possible directories in copy phase

I copied sndfile and dylibs to ScreenSaverEngine Content and it worked, but i need them to be loaded from my bundle, can't find the solution.

Acrobat

• View Profile
Found a solution with
install_name_tool -change @executable_path/name @loader_path/name

works within console, but not with system preferences ui

Acrobat

• View Profile
well, i've managed to compile it correctly for 10.5 and 10.7 MacOS  ;D

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
good to hear that !  ;)
SFML / OS X developer

Acrobat

• View Profile
Well, it was to early, seems to me sfml is not compatible with garbage collector.