Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: A book on SFML -- looking for author(s)!  (Read 46223 times)

Groogy

• MSN Messenger - groogy@groogy.se
    • View Profile
    • http://www.groogy.se
    • Email
Re: A book on SFML -- looking for author(s)!
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2012, 04:57:56 pm »
Is the book really targeted at C++ newbies? To learn C++ there are already a lot of books that do explain that very well. I'm always annoyed by books that are about a specific area of programming and try to teach the very basics of the underlying programming language.

The target group according to Packt is "Young C++ Developers" which means they know C++, more or less. But I guess most who will read the book will know ONLY C++ and not even how to link a library.
Developer and Maker of rbSFML and Programmer at Paradox Development Studio

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2012, 04:59:22 pm »
Do you have anything to say about the first revision that has been posted here?
Looks good.

A few comments:
- the document doesn't mention what kind of game is implemented in the book (so we're a little lost when you talk about tilemaps, player, projectiles, etc.)
- the chapter about lighting looks big, probably too advanced (compared to its importance for the game)
- do you think you can put all these chapters in 220 pages? In fact 220 pages doesn't seem to be a lot for this kind of book, but maybe it's just me

I think using C++03 is better, too. As long as it's modern C++03 ;)
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Groogy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2012, 05:06:48 pm »
Do you have anything to say about the first revision that has been posted here?
Looks good.

A few comments:
- the document doesn't mention what kind of game is implemented in the book (so we're a little lost when you talk about tilemaps, player, projectiles, etc.)
- the chapter about lighting looks big, probably too advanced (compared to its importance for the game)
- do you think you can put all these chapters in 220 pages? In fact 220 pages doesn't seem to be a lot for this kind of book, but maybe it's just me

I think using C++03 is better, too. As long as it's modern C++03 ;)

Ah crap, thinking like a simple platformer and somehow cover everything Packt requested. And yes that chapter is quite big and it was the first thing to be flagged for being "cut". Though it would cover the "eye candy" request very well with render textures and shaders. It would give the reader a big "WOW!" factor for what is possible to do with SFML so it's a shame it probably won't fit. Most probably it will be non-shadowed light sources for bullets or something.  And I have sent it as a question to the editor on how soft the 220 pages limit is and what potential alternatives would be. Hopefully I will be able to work with them over time, if they see that there is something awesome that I need a little extra time for they could be kind enough to give that to me :)

Anyway don't think anything is cut in stone. This was more or less just brainstorming by several people that we wrote down. Go ahead to come with your own ideas guys, it's still open if you want to participate or if you want to write with me.

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2012, 05:27:00 pm »
I read the latest entries of the topic diagonally, and i want to backup my initial position, I will help without a problem!

I even have a few ideas on it, will try to join IRC tonight as well!

Being unemployed , time won't be a concern i guess, and any money is welcome, given the circumstances!

Just a little addendum here, I've put together a pretty draft-stage MOBA game, online and everything, which is  working well, even though it is basic for now. Since that genre is a simplified multiplayer RPG, and is pretty popular these days, could be a nice idea to elaborate on it... Just throwing out the idea since it's a good difficulty/length relation from the developer point of view, while covering the client-server principles of any game..

Groogy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2012, 05:29:38 pm »
I read the latest entries of the topic diagonally, and i want to backup my initial position, I will help without a problem!

I even have a few ideas on it, will try to join IRC tonight as well!

Being unemployed , time won't be a concern i guess, and any money is welcome, given the circumstances!

Just a little addendum here, I've put together a pretty draft-stage MOBA game, online and everything, which is  working well, even though it is basic for now. Since that genre is a simplified multiplayer RPG, and is pretty popular these days, could be a nice idea to elaborate on it... Just throwing out the idea since it's a good difficulty/length relation from the developer point of view, while covering the client-server principles of any game..

Nice :D
I'm just wondering, do you do anything custom or is everything pure SFML? No extra OpenGL commands and so on? I think that's a requirement we should abide by as it could become easily too much otherwise. Anyway I'll look forward to talk with you on IRC :)

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2012, 05:57:35 pm »
I do use custom things in my code, but we can focalize pretty much anything for an exclusive sfml use!

I think its a good idea to write the book as a way to take the sfml "legos" to build your way up until a concept game. That said, seems reasonable to introduce basic ui systems, animations and so on!

I am excited about this work, it seems it will actually bring something good for the gamedevelopers :D

masskiller

• Pointers to Functions rock!
    • MSN Messenger - kyogre_jb@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2012, 06:04:11 pm »
I am willing to help in proof reading and will surely give ideas if needed to. Given a community book is too much of a hassle then it's better the normal way. I do not compromise myself entirely in any way, but I want to help if I can and it doesn't disrupt my University and game programming time (which probably won't happen, but I still make the exception).

I was thinking in a common space shooter or a platformer, both cover plenty of topics respecting game programming and unless they are extravagant (like my shooter), they don't require that much work and can be easily kept simple, without having to worry a lot about background stories (you can't have an RPG without it) and a whole lot of things that have nothing to do with SFML and game programming.
Programmer, Artist, Composer and Storyline/Script Writer of "Origin of Magic". If all goes well this could turn into a commercial project!

Finally back into the programming world!

xylr117z4

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2012, 09:09:03 pm »
This is a really good idea.  I would definitely read this esspecially to get more into SFML 2.0.  I've been using SFML 1.6 for over a year now and 2.0 has a large enough difference that a few examples of functions would be nice.
On that note... I do like how all the documentation of 2.0 has an example of the function or variable type but it would be great to get an explination on how to use the returned values and such.

Edit: also there's a slight problem I see with the concept of this book... SFML wasn't necessarily made for the development of games.  While that may be a common use for it I think a more correct concept of a book would be more of a general tutorial on using SFML.  While I personally am using SFML to develop a game of my own. The reason I mention this is Laurent has said that SFML is a general media library not a game engine for not adding a few functions is the fact that SFML is a broad libaray.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 09:25:57 pm by xylr117z4 »

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2012, 09:31:31 pm »
also there's a slight problem I see with the concept of this book... SFML wasn't necessarily made for the development of games.
From what did you deduce this? ???
Surely SFML offers more than a library just for games, but it's main purpose was I believe directed towards game development. ;)

Also that it should involve game dev wasn't a decision we made, but it was what the publisher wanted us to do and I think it's the best way to clearly give an example that uses (nearly) everything SFML has to offer. :)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Groogy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2012, 05:10:19 pm »
Got another answer from Packt and I guess I am the lead author :)

Anyway they want me to make a list of the people who wants to contribute as authors in an official capacity. Right now it looks like me, Haikrainen and DevilWithin. Anyone else please let me know so Packt can start with the needed paperwork!

Also we need to have a clear way to communicate with each others. So DevilWithin I still haven't heard from you, can you come in to IRC or contact me by mail on how you want to communicate? groogy@groogy.se

They liked my initial outline of the chapters. They want me to add a bit more in there so I iron out the chapters a bit more. So if you want to be part of this you have to hurry up and "apply".

Also what's your opinion on how the Brainstorm Revision 2 document looks right now Laurent?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 05:12:01 pm by Groogy »

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2012, 06:17:03 pm »
Also what's your opinion on how the Brainstorm Revision 2 document looks right now Laurent?
Looks good so far. I'll probably have more to say when there are more details written :)

Also we need to have a clear way to communicate with each others.
I can open a (private) forum here, if you feel like it would be a good way to communicate.

Groogy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2012, 07:16:37 pm »
That sounds awesome! Sure open up a forum for us.

So far it is me, Haikrainen and Nexus just PM'ed me. DevilWithin if you still want to just tell Laurent to add you as well :)

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2012, 07:47:19 pm »
Do you want a category with several forums? Or just one forum?

Groogy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2012, 07:49:36 pm »
Just one forum will be enough :)

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2012, 08:13:37 pm »
Done.

Let me know if everything works fine:
- you're moderator
- only the members you mentioned should be able to see and use the forum

Send me a PM whenever a new member must be added (or maybe you can do it directly?).

anything