Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Language switching  (Read 3098 times)

CJ_COIMBRA

• ICQ Messenger - 13077864
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cjcoimbra.com
    • Email
Language switching
« on: January 11, 2011, 04:25:05 am »
Greetings,

Most of my games were just prototypes and tests, but recently I´ve finished an entire game and I presented it in english and portuguese. I made this by setting the texts in both languages and just switching them according to player´s choice on start screen. Then the engine just instantiated the language handler with the right language.

I was wandering how do you guys handle this topic in your games. Is it better to just recompile it into another build totally apart on from the other?

Does it really make any difference having the player to choose the language? Would someone be bothered by doing this?
CJ

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
Language switching
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 05:04:27 am »
Yes, it is tottaly worth to have multi-language(localization) and don't even think of making different builds : )

And what you're doing seems like a very valid approach! Load strings from files acording to the language can be efficient and in my opinion, the solution used the most :D

If it is only english, it is ok, if you can make it more rich with more languages, its welcome, and comunnity apreciates it :D

CJ_COIMBRA

• ICQ Messenger - 13077864
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cjcoimbra.com
    • Email
Language switching
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 05:24:03 am »
How strange... I just realized after reading some of your blog that we are chatting here in english about stuff made with a library developed by french programmer but we both speak portuguese... :shock:
CJ

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
Language switching
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 08:37:40 pm »
Yes we do, globalization :D