Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFML 2.0  (Read 103415 times)

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
SFML 2.0
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2009, 03:54:55 pm »
Ok I get it. I'll do my best ;)
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Mr. X

• View Profile
SFML 2.0
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2009, 07:20:11 pm »
Quote from: "Laurent"
Another suggestion: GUI

I'd love to do it, really. But it's too much of work and not necessary at all for the other SFML modules, so I just can't do it now.

Is that the latest state? Because it would be great to have a GUI so that not every programmer must use CEGUI or develop his own GUI.

If the only problem is, that you couldn't do it because you haven't got the time to implement it, it could be delegated to another person...
I would offer to do this (I've already developed a small GUI-System that works), if necessary and wished...

Ceylo

• View Profile
    • http://sfemovie.yalir.org/
    • Email
SFML 2.0
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2009, 07:23:19 pm »
But would your work fit SFML philosophy ?
Want to play movies in your SFML application? Check out sfeMovie!

Mr. X

• View Profile
SFML 2.0
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2009, 07:26:50 pm »

What do you exacly mean with "SFML philosophy"? That it is small, easy, flexible, portable and object oriented?

Ceylo

• View Profile
    • Email
SFML 2.0
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2009, 07:29:56 pm »
Quote from: "Mr. X"

What do you exacly mean with "SFML philosophy"? That it is small, easy, flexible, portable and object oriented?

Only Laurent can really answer this, but I think that's most of it.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
SFML 2.0
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2009, 07:44:59 pm »
Actually, I'd like to do it myself.

This is a funny and interesting thing I'd love to do, after I've worked hard on a lot of boring stuff for SFML 2.0 :)

Mr. X

• View Profile
SFML 2.0
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2009, 08:24:37 pm »
Quote from: "Laurent"
Actually, I'd like to do it myself.

This is a funny and interesting thing I'd love to do, after I've worked hard on a lot of boring stuff for SFML 2.0 :)

Great...

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
SFML 2.0
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2009, 08:29:24 am »
But you other guys shouldn't hesitate to implement your own SFML-compatible GUI and release it. I need one for my current project and CEGUI and guichan are no real options for me (CEGUI is misconfigured and refuses to build, guichan would be possible, but needs a new driver for SFML, thus the efford you put into that could be better used for a clean SFML-based GUI), so I started one myself. It's a bit inspired by the gtkmm hierarchy. As soon as it gets usable, I'll release a version here.

Ceylo

• View Profile
    • Email
SFML 2.0
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2009, 09:25:12 am »
Do you know there are about 4, 5, maybe more "small SFML gui" that are being developped by users right now (I'm doing one myself too) ?

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
SFML 2.0
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2009, 12:22:29 pm »
No, I don't. Since I only read the English (and German) forums, I haven't seen a proper thread in the projects board recently. My French is just too bad.

The question is how flexible those "small GUIs" are. Most people program their stuff to fit (only?) into their current project. Are the mentioned GUIs flexible enough to be used more generally? Also, if you could provide some links, I'd be thankful. I wouldn't do my own GUI if I knew of another good GUI for SFML.

Ceylo

• View Profile
    • Email
SFML 2.0
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2009, 01:35:18 pm »
I can't tell you of any fully usable GUI for now.
I know one that uses widget hierarchy, one that does not, but none of these is finished.

I can speak a bit of mine.

It's an immediate mode GUI (widgets can't contain sub-widgets) made for a video game I'm developing with some friends of mine but I don't think it's limited to my project.

I'm focusing on three points :
 - customizable : the whole GUI design (widgets' background/border color, text color, color when it's enabled/disabled, border width) can be loaded from an XML file
 - extendable : you can make your own widgets really easily by subclassing my base Widget class
 - easiest use : minimal functions (developer), intuitive interface behaviour (user)

It's obviously portable. For now it depends on libxml2, boost and SFML. I'll drop the libxml2 dependency as soon as I think of it.

What I've done till now : global interface event handling, global interface drawing, focus handling, base widget, text field (insertion, moving with cursor and deletion), button (using boost for target function binding) and simple box. Plus an XML file loader and a Matrix class. What I'm working on : TableView, Label, Checkbox and RadioButton.

Now.. if you wish.. I can give you the current sources. They are mostly not commented.

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
SFML 2.0
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2009, 05:11:23 pm »
That sounds really good, but I'm not a friend of immediate GUIs. I'd like to have a similar approach like gtkmm, that means: Specify an XML file with all widget definitions, load it with one function call and connect signals/events to callbacks. This is maybe not really a "game-ish" approach, but I just like it better than immediate.

Everything else of your GUI just sounds good, it seems to be well advanced. What about showing some screenshots? I'd be interested in seeing it. Or is there a demo/video available?

Ceylo

• View Profile
    • Email
SFML 2.0
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2009, 05:57:56 pm »
I don't want to go on talking about this in the SFML 2.0 topic. I'll send you a private message.

Wolfram

• View Profile
GUI
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2009, 04:28:27 pm »
This is a funny and interesting thing I'd love to do, after I've worked hard on a lot of boring stuff for SFML 2.0

Great!
In which version of SFML do you integrate a GUI? SFML 2.0?

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
SFML 2.0
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2009, 04:40:40 pm »
No. Hopefully in version 5.0 or something :lol:

anything