Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFML 2.0  (Read 103568 times)

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
SFML 2.0
« Reply #165 on: November 12, 2010, 11:53:47 pm »
Though the idea that we have a OpenGL object oriented interface would be really really nice. Though I would understand if it would be too much to implement.

Honestly, if I was starting SFML now I would do that. Too bad I didn't have this idea before.

By the way, Qt have this kind of object-oriented OpenGL layer now.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Groogy

• MSN Messenger - groogy@groogy.se
    • View Profile
    • http://www.groogy.se
    • Email
SFML 2.0
« Reply #166 on: November 13, 2010, 12:13:32 am »
Quote from: "Laurent"
Honestly, if I was starting SFML now I would do that. Too bad I didn't have this idea before.

Well it would be pretty cool. If I had more time after school I would love the idea of helping out with creating a public class separated from the internal GLContext class (encapsulating it or something and providing an interface and then providing functions for the OpenGL calls). Though I must say I don't got enough knowledge/experience on OpenGL to create something like that or the time to learn it currently, Damn school forcing me trough DirectX since that's what the industry demands -.-'
Developer and Maker of rbSFML and Programmer at Paradox Development Studio

bastien

• View Profile
    • http://bastien-leonard.alwaysdata.net
SFML 2.0
« Reply #167 on: November 13, 2010, 10:06:14 am »
I don't care about other back-ends, OpenGL is widely implemented and every new hardware supports an OpenGL variant by default. And SFML is an OpenGL library by definition, its interface is made to mix nicely with native OpenGL calls.

As a side note, crappy drivers make 2D programs terribly slow, on GNU/Linux at least.
My laptop has Intel's driver, but it can just display like 100 sprites at 60 FPS. The LinCity game runs fine with the SDL backend, but the OpenGL one is terrible. Generally speaking, I can't imagine that games like Wesnoth would run fine on it if they used OpenGL since I already have trouble displaying 200 sprites with SFML.
My desktop computer has the same problem, but it uses a WIP open source driver, so it's somewhat normal.

So I'm all for OpenGL, but it's sad to see SDL has much better performance on the computers I use. :(
Check out pysfml-cython, an up to date Python 2/3 binding for SFML 2: https://github.com/bastienleonard/pysfml-cython

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
SFML 2.0
« Reply #168 on: November 13, 2010, 11:22:31 am »
Using software rendering with SDL or which backend?

Why aren't you implementing it then? SFML 2 could be something with a good new direction. If it's the bunch of work you're afraid of, maybe try to open your mind for some guys that can help you out. Setup a detailed roadmap and let the magic happen. It would definitely better to realize the stuff you'd love to instead of skipping it because of time reasons or whatever.

sf::Input and sf::Window stuff

Great. The best thing is that sf::Input doesn't require an sf::Window reference anymore, which reduces complexity. Cool. :)

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
SFML 2.0
« Reply #169 on: November 13, 2010, 12:54:00 pm »
Why aren't you implementing it then? SFML 2 could be something with a good new direction. If it's the bunch of work you're afraid of, maybe try to open your mind for some guys that can help you out. Setup a detailed roadmap and let the magic happen. It would definitely better to realize the stuff you'd love to instead of skipping it because of time reasons or whatever.

Maybe I'll do that for SFML 3. Or as an add-on module for SFML 2.

Great. The best thing is that sf::Input doesn't require an sf::Window reference anymore, which reduces complexity. Cool.

1. It's not done nor even decided in details
2. I don't know if it's a good solution, for example when you hit a key you want the focus window to receive it, not the others

Crashy

• View Profile
SFML 2.0
« Reply #170 on: November 15, 2010, 12:48:41 pm »
Is SFML 2 suitable for SFML beginners? I heard that it is already complete and free of bugs (why isn't it released then?). Thanks! :)

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
SFML 2.0
« Reply #171 on: November 15, 2010, 01:08:33 pm »
It may be free of bugs, but it's far away from being feature-complete. And SFML2 will be similar easy to use like the 1.x versions, I guess.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
SFML 2.0
« Reply #172 on: November 15, 2010, 01:31:31 pm »
it's far away from being feature-complete

Don't scare people :lol:
It's almost complete, in fact. A lot of things that I planned for SFML 2.0 can be added to SFML 2.x later, they won't break the existing API of SFML 2.

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
SFML 2.0
« Reply #173 on: November 15, 2010, 06:19:59 pm »
Let's hope so, by goodness! ;)

heishe

• View Profile
SFML 2.0
« Reply #174 on: November 22, 2010, 08:49:12 pm »
Laurent, would it be possible to add a method to sf::RenderWindow that returns a RenderImage (or just Image) containing everything that's "drawn on the window" right now?

Would make setting the texture inside a shader to the current screen's contents very very easy and much more comfortable.

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
SFML 2.0
« Reply #175 on: November 22, 2010, 10:00:29 pm »
Why not simply draw everything into a render image (and if needed draw the image to the window) ?
SFML / OS X developer

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
SFML 2.0
« Reply #176 on: November 22, 2010, 10:52:10 pm »
Quote from: "heishe"
Laurent, would it be possible to add a method to sf::RenderWindow that returns a RenderImage (or just Image) containing everything that's "drawn on the window" right now?
There is no need to do that, as sf::Image::CopyScreen() already provides that feature.

Sometimes, it's worth to take a look at the documentation. ;)
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

devlin

• View Profile
SFML 2.0
« Reply #177 on: January 10, 2011, 04:00:01 pm »
Though the idea that we have a OpenGL object oriented interface would be really really nice. Though I would understand if it would be too much to implement.

As long as it's optional to use it.

Having to refactor rather large existing codebases to work with "OO"-wrappers like Tao/OpenTK to get them to work under C# was a major pain in the baguette. I would rather not have to do again in order to get them to work with future versions of SFML. (which btw is looking very neat) :)

badlogic

• View Profile
    • http://www.badlogicgames.com
SFML 2.0
« Reply #178 on: January 14, 2011, 05:46:42 am »
Hi there,

i just stumbled over sfml by accident and was intrigued by it's well thought out design and ease of use. I'm usually a Java guy (ya, start running and screaming :)) but i like getting back to C++ every now and then. SFML is a more than welcome alternative to the mess that is SDL. Great job so far.

I'm actually maintaining a very similar library for Java and was wondering how you pulled of sprite/glyph rendering in SFML. I first had a look at Drawable, Sprite and Renderer and was surprised to find that you actually use immediate mode rendering and only remember the last bound texture to reduce binds.

Now, i figured you have a reason for this and searched the forums. I found this thread, you seem to have tried batching already but reverted to immediate mode rendering. Shortly afterwards i found this thread which gives a little bit more details on why you ditched batching all together.

With our Java based project we have created something very similar to SFML (Win/Lin/Mac/Android). Our Sprite classes look nearly identical from an API point of view, the internals are of course a little different. The interesting part is this: we use batching heavily as it is mandatory on mobile devices like Android. And what's good for a mobile GPU is good for a desktop GPU as well. We support OpenGL ES 1.x as well as 2.0, which is more or less the same as desktop GL minus display lists and immediate mode. So we are forced to go the batching route.

I wanted to compare the performance of both SFML and our lib and create a little microbenchmark. Here's the SFML version:

Code: [Select]

#include <SFML/Audio.hpp>
#include <SFML/Graphics.hpp>

#define SPRITES 50000
#define randf() ((float)rand() / RAND_MAX)

int main()
{
// Create the main window
sf::RenderWindow window(sf::VideoMode(800, 600), "bench");

// Load a sprite to display
sf::Image image;
if (!image.LoadFromFile("badlogicsmall.jpg"))
return EXIT_FAILURE;
sf::Image image2;
if (!image2.LoadFromFile("bob.png"))
return EXIT_FAILURE;

sf::Sprite* sprites[SPRITES];

for(int i = 0; i < SPRITES; i++) {
sf::Sprite* sprite;
if(i < SPRITES / 2) {
sprite = new sf::Sprite(image);
sprite->SetBlendMode(sf::Blend::None);
sprite->SetPosition(randf() * 800, randf() * 600);
sprite->SetOrigin(16, 16);
} else {
sprite = new sf::Sprite(image2);
sprite->SetBlendMode(sf::Blend::Alpha);
sprite->SetPosition(randf() * 800, randf() * 600);
sprite->SetOrigin(16, 16);
}
sprites[i] = sprite;
}

sf::Clock clock;
float timePassed = 0;
unsigned frames = 0;
while (window.IsOpened())
{
sf::Event event;
while (window.GetEvent(event)) {
if (event.Type == sf::Event::Closed)
window.Close();
}

float elapsed = clock.GetElapsedTime();
float scale = timePassed>0.5?1-timePassed / 2:0.5f + timePassed / 2;
clock.Reset();

window.Clear();
sprites[i]->SetRotation(sprites[i]->GetRotation() + elapsed * 45);
sprites[i]->SetScale(scale, scale);
window.Draw(*sprites[i]);
}
window.Display();

timePassed += elapsed;
frames++;
if(timePassed > 1.0f) {
printf("fps: %d\n", frames);
timePassed = 0;
frames = 0;
}
}

return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}

Please forgive my poor C++, it's been years since i actively worked with it.

Our APIs are so similar that the Java version based on our lib looks pretty much the same (we don't have a classic main loop due to Android being a little bitch).

package com.badlogic.gdx.tests;

import com.badlogic.gdx.Gdx;
import com.badlogic.gdx.graphics.GL10;
import com.badlogic.gdx.graphics.Texture;
import com.badlogic.gdx.graphics.Texture.TextureFilter;
import com.badlogic.gdx.graphics.Texture.TextureWrap;
import com.badlogic.gdx.graphics.g2d.Sprite;
import com.badlogic.gdx.graphics.g2d.SpriteBatch;
import com.badlogic.gdx.tests.utils.GdxTest;

public class SpritePerformanteTest2 extends GdxTest {
static final int SPRITES = 50000;
Texture image;
Texture image2;
Sprite[] sprites;
SpriteBatch batch;
float timePassed = 0;
int frames = 0;

@Override public void create() {
image = Gdx.graphics.newTexture(Gdx.files.internal("data/badlogicsmall.jpg"),
 TextureFilter.Linear, TextureFilter.Linear,
 TextureWrap.ClampToEdge, TextureWrap.ClampToEdge);
image2 = Gdx.graphics.newTexture(Gdx.files.internal("data/bobargb8888-32x32.png"),
TextureFilter.Linear, TextureFilter.Linear,
    TextureWrap.ClampToEdge, TextureWrap.ClampToEdge);

sprites = new Sprite[SPRITES];
Sprite sprite = new Sprite(i < SPRITES / 2?image:image2);
sprite.setPosition((float)Math.random() * 800, (float)Math.random() * 600);
sprites[i] = sprite;
}

batch = new SpriteBatch();
}

@Override public void render() {
Gdx.gl.glClear(GL10.GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT);

float elapsed = Gdx.graphics.getDeltaTime();
float scale = timePassed>0.5?1-timePassed / 2:0.5f + timePassed / 2;

batch.begin();
batch.disableBlending();
for(int i = 0; i < SPRITES / 2; i++) {
sprites[i].setRotation(sprites[i].getRotation() + elapsed * 45);
sprites[i].setScale(scale, scale);
sprites[i].draw(batch);
}
batch.end();

batch.begin();
batch.enableBlending();
for(int i = SPRITES / 2; i < SPRITES; i++) {
sprites[i].setRotation(sprites[i].getRotation() + elapsed * 45);
sprites[i].setScale(scale, scale);
sprites[i].draw(batch);
}
batch.end();

timePassed += elapsed;
frames++;
if(timePassed > 1.0f) {
Gdx.app.log("SpritePerformanceTest2", "fps: " + frames);
timePassed = 0;
frames = 0;
}
}

@Override public boolean needsGL20 () {
return false;
}
}

As you can see both tests load two imgages (32x32 RGB and RGBA images to be exact), create 25k sprites using the first image, 25k sprites using the second image and draw them brute force. To spice things up a little i also scale and rotate each sprite in each iteration. Half of the sprites are blended, the other half isn't.

Now, as i understand the latest SFML 2 code which i used for this your stuff is all shader based. Ours can work with shaders as well, and also interoperate with normal GL operations much like SFML. For the test above i used the GLES 1.x path, meaning no shaders are involved but only fixed function stuff. Both tests output the number of frames per second, each second.

Here are the results on an Asus EEE 1215n, with an Nvidia ION2 card, the latest drivers and vsynch forced off. SFML was compiled in release mode, as was the test project itself of course, with /O2 in Visual Studio 2008 Express. On the Java side i use the latest client JVM from Oracle.

SFML:
fps: 7
fps: 6

Libgdx:
SpritePerformanceTest2: fps: 24

I think this illustrates the case for batching. If you look at the java code you'll see that the difference is the SpriteBatch.begin() and SpriteBatch.end() calls. With the current SFML API there's no need for such explicit batching. However, we decided against the SFML model for two reasons: you are likely to not mix 2D and 3D rendering like draw sprite, draw 3D model, draw sprite and so on. It's also a lot better in terms of state handling since you are forced to cleanly separate your 2D and 3D rendering. I can see though that the SFML model has its merits, especially for newcomers as it eases the code a little bit.

I zipped up the Visual Studio 2008 project which is self contained. You can download it from here. The source code for the Java test can be found at http://code.google.com/p/libgdx/. A runnable cross-platform jar (Windows/Linux/Mac, 32 and 64-bit) can be downloaded from here. To see the fps output you have to start the jar from the command line like this

java -jar bench.jar

You can also double click the jar, at least on windows and the thing will start automatically. Without a console though, but you should see the visual difference in performance.

In any case, i think batching should be reconsidered for SFML 2. Laurent, you could check out our SpriteBatch, Sprite and SpriteCache classes if you are interested in our approach. Given that our crap is Java based it should actually perform even better in C++. Because we all know C++ is 10 times faster than Java, right? :)

Goody, sorry for the wall of text. Keep up your extremely good work. I'm looking forward to the full 2.0 release. As it stands it's already mighty awesome, i'll give it a try in one of my next projects maybe. I really want to get back to C++ again a little, i only write some stuff for our lib in C++ for Android cause their VM sucks.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
SFML 2.0
« Reply #179 on: January 14, 2011, 01:13:02 pm »
Hey, thank you very much :)

In fact I'm currently (trying to) rewriting the entire drawable API in SFML, and then I'll rework on performances optimizations and batching.

Anyway, I'll check your code and see if I can get some interesting ideas from it.

anything