Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [Development] UnknownName  (Read 3846 times)

Fred50

• View Profile
    • Email
[Development] UnknownName
« on: November 28, 2012, 05:47:33 am »
Hey guys, I guess this category is for SFML Projects, so I will tell you about mine.

Let me bore you for a little bit and tell you why i started this project ;). I have been learning Java for years and know a lot of things about it. In fact i have a couple games of mine that get played. After a while things in Java got a little boring, so i decided to learn another language AKA. C++.

About my game :):
Its going to be a platform game. Consisting of Upgrades, falling troopers, and tanks. Also helicopters. Right now im in the beginning stages of development thats why i named it UnknownName.

Im also asking for help on a couple things. Right now im not getting howto code Gravity and Jumping. If anyone could assist me on this please contact me on here.

Fred50

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: [Development] UnknownName
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 06:14:14 am »
Thanks

masskiller

• Pointers to Functions rock!
    • MSN Messenger - kyogre_jb@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 06:44:59 am »
After a while things in Java got a little boring, so i decided to learn another language AKA. C++.

I started with Java, but I was lucky to start C++ only half a year after being in Java. Definitively my best programming language choice so far. You won't regret it I assure you. I also began with a nameless project, just recently it got a name at last.
Programmer, Artist, Composer and Storyline/Script Writer of "Origin of Magic". If all goes well this could turn into a commercial project!

Finally back into the programming world!

mateandmetal

• The bird is the word
    • View Profile
    • my blog
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 01:06:16 pm »
Its going to be a platform game. Consisting of Upgrades, falling troopers, and tanks. Also helicopters.

Metal Slug clone?  :)
- Mate (beverage) addict
- Heavy metal addict _lml
- SFML 2 addict
- My first (and free) game: BichingISH!

Barlog

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 03:25:12 pm »
You could use physics engine instead of writing your own.
Look at this page (might be incomplete)
http://content.gpwiki.org/index.php/Libraries:Physics

Mario

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 05:33:58 pm »
From my experience, a physics engine will make it far more complicated than it has to be. You won't have to implement your own collision detection, but at the same time you'll have to play around a lot more to get your "physics" to feel right, e.g. platform games usually feature rather odd physics, like Mario (the video game one :P) being able to jump several meters high, being able to turn almost instantly and being able to control his jump.

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 05:48:58 pm »
From my experience, a physics engine will make it far more complicated than it has to be. You won't have to implement your own collision detection, but at the same time you'll have to play around a lot more to get your "physics" to feel right, e.g. platform games usually feature rather odd physics, like Mario (the video game one :P) being able to jump several meters high, being able to turn almost instantly and being able to control his jump.
It really depends on what you want to achieve, there just isn't 'the solution' to everything. ;)

For a simply platformer a simplified physic will do and as Mario said allow you to adjust the parameters as you want and think 'feels' right.
For a game where the main purpose is to move objects around that will have different shapes and should behave very close to actual physics you will make your life way more easier by using an external library. The convex collision detection alone will be a pain to get right and have a good performance.

It's nice to do things on your own and learn something, but if you don't have infinite time at your hands and don't want to read a few books to really understand how such algorithm work and how the physics is done right, then you could take a library, read the API doc and start using it. ;)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/