Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: sf::Text Help with alignment!!  (Read 3260 times)

supdawg

• View Profile
sf::Text Help with alignment!!
« on: December 04, 2012, 08:43:40 pm »
i want to create an sf::Text which has a few words of text in the middle of the screen and right below that more words of text.

e.g.
           New Game
           Exit

something like that. do i need 2 sf::Texts? or is there a way to do it with one sf::Text?

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Re: sf::Text Help with alignment!!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 08:53:48 pm »
One text and the '\n' character is enough.

But in the long term, you want multiple sf::Text instances for your menu, to allow hover effects and mouse click recognition.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

NightCabbage

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 01:03:29 am »
Yes, I agree with Nexus, you'll want multiple text objects for a menu.
In fact, you may even create a "MenuItem" object that contains a text object - for each item on your menu, to make things nice and simple :)

supdawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 05:41:17 am »
hmm. i see thats a cool approach. but im being over whelmed with all the classes and headers. for a simple project, how many headers/source files should there be on average? i already have 9. ScreenManager, InputManager, TitleScreen, SplashScreen, Animation, FadeAnimation, GameScreen, MenuScreen and main. am i on the right track in terms of splitting up code into files?

supdawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 05:42:21 am »
like for example, for the MenuItem object, i would need to create another class and etc. etc. im finding it hard to decide whether to split a task up into a different thing or just do it in the same cpp file.

supdawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 06:08:47 am »
and for animations (such as choosing menu options with arrow keys and doing some animations when pressing arrow keys) should i just keep creating classes that inherit from my Animation class, or should i incorporate it into another class (e.g. coding the animation of choosing a menu option in the MenuScreen class)? some advice would be great :)

NightCabbage

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 06:16:09 am »
Hehe it's a lot to think about, isn't it :P

Well, in my current engine, I've got just under 50 classes for the engine alone - not including the actual classes for the game itself. About 8 classes for menu related stuff (menus, buttons, lists, etc.).

It's all a matter of what you want to do, and how much effort you're willing to put in now to save you time later.

For example, I've used this engine for about 4 prototype games, so I've saved a LOT of time using the same code. It's much more flexible.

supdawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 10:59:36 pm »
holy 50 classes!? right now i only have about 7 but i absolutely understand why its important to split tasks. it does make it a lot easier in the long run. but one more question. how exactly do you manage editing many classes? and i assume you have a makefile that you use to compile everything right? i tried creating a makefile and it works, but not like its supposed to. a makefile is supposed to compile only the recently changed files but my makefile compiles all files all the time no matter what.

but i did split everything up. i have a few directories such as Headers, Source, Images, Fonts

NightCabbage

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 04:55:13 am »
I'm using C#, so it makes all those annoying little things go away :D

I just create a new project, add in the SFML stuff, and away I go!

C/C++ is so old fashioned ;)
hehe...

anything