Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Writing a config file/converting string to sf::Event?  (Read 6550 times)

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
Re: Writing a config file/converting string to sf::Event?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 02:08:57 pm »
I've quickly recorded a video and showed how to build SFML and Thor with Visual Studio 2010 (it's the same process for any other Visual Studio version).
It's really not hard once you get used to it and you can make it even easier by utilizing the command line. ;)

(Watch in 720p to actually see what's going on :D)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSMjXycPhs4

I'm not sure though how long I'll keep that video up, since it's better to read and understand the official tutorials, rather than possibly outdated YouTube videos... ;)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

fuerchter

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 02:52:52 pm »
first of all, why are you getting angry at me? i stated that i never worked with cmake before

secondly i'm sorry, but i just read past the note about the install project file (in the sfml tutorial it just says "You're now ready to compile SFML. Of course, how to do it depends on what makefiles/projects you've generated. If you created a project/solution/workspace, open it with your IDE and compile like any other project.", i didn't see on your site that it say INSTALL)

besides that i'd admit too that i didn't see you saying the github project but just the latest version (and on the website in the downloads section it represents 1.1 as latest version, granted there are github links again... >.<)

i got it to work now, but could you please have a bit more patience with someone who has never gone through this kind of build process before

//EDIT:
the string/key methods all work nicely thanks for the help guys ;)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 03:39:12 pm by fuerchter »

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 03:39:57 pm »
I've quickly recorded a video and showed how to build SFML and Thor with Visual Studio 2010
Thanks a lot :)

first of all, why are you getting angry at me? i stated that i never worked with cmake before
I am not angry, but I expect some initiative from users, instead of just "it doesn't work, please help". This includes at least reading the tutorials, for some reason Laurent and I write them. If you still have questions, you can of course ask here, but please try to first solve the most obvious mistakes on your own.

Apart from that, many people have already had exactly the same problem, so using the forum search can often lead to quick solutions. Consider this an advice, not a blame ;)

i didn't see on your site that it say INSTALL
IMPORTANT: Do not only compile SFML, but also install it. That means, you have to build the install target. You do that as follows:
  • Visual Studio solutions: Compile the INSTALL project.
  • NMake: Execute nmake install in the VS command line.
  • Make: Type make install in the terminal.
  • MinGW: Type mingw32-make install in the command line.
I don't know how I can make it more explicit. Maybe I should add a flashing pop-up :D
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

fuerchter

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 04:38:14 pm »
the thing is, i honestly tried installing it with the help of the tutorials but i just felt lost in all the variables and stuff that i didn't understand, it kind of seemed beyond my reach

anything