Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFML rendering issues on different computers [SOLVED]  (Read 1611 times)

Jungletoe

• View Profile
    • Email
SFML rendering issues on different computers [SOLVED]
« on: December 23, 2012, 09:37:39 pm »
I've been having this issue (on all computers except my own) for months now. The graphics for my game render perfectly on my computer (specs below), but on some other people's computers, the graphics appear to be extremely distorted and the text skips characters.

This is what it looks like:

I'm using TGUI as well, although it seems that switching from TGUI's text to SFML's text still renders improperly. 

My specs: (It works fine on my computer, 450+ uncapped FPS)
Gateway DX4860
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz 3.00 GHz
6GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit

Person 1's specs: (Rendering problems as seen above, 30 FPS)
4GB RAM
Has AMD/ATI Graphics Card (I'll ask him for specifics the next time he's online)

Person 2's specs: (Rendering problems as seen above, 450+ uncapped FPS)
32GB Ram
Windows 7 64-bit
Nvidia graphics card

Any ideas as to why this is happening? It's currently STATICALLY LINKED and I've tried switching around the way graphics are rendered to no avail. Is this a problem with SFML or am I doing something wrong?

And no, I cannot produce a minimal example because of the overwhelming amount of code I have atm.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 12:14:16 am by Jungletoe »

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
Re: SFML rendering issues on different
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 10:20:29 pm »
As note: It's always possible to make a minimal example, it's just a question of will and time. ;)
And it's often useful to write an example from ground up, that just does what fails in game (e.g. loading and drawing texture), that way you can confirm, that it's not an SFML problem, but something within your code and can try to figure out what the difference is.

The text rendering seems like some threading/text issue we had a few times already on the forum, but I wonder why there's no issue on GitHub, anyways you can 'fix it', by calling the OpenGL function glFlush(); see here.

The distored texture seems quite strange and I'm not sure what's going on there. Usually if you don't clear the render target (window or render texture) things like that could happen, but when simply loading an image, I'm not sure... :-\
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Jungletoe

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: SFML rendering issues on different
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 10:42:46 pm »
Ok, I'll try it out.

Do I have to glFlush() it every time I call setText() or only when the text object is created?

EDIT:
Never mind, the text bug is now fixed, but now that inventory loading bug is happening to my computer too. I'll see what becomes of it...

EDIT 2:
Seemed to be a problem with TGUI. I simply switched everything to a spritesheet instead of a picture. Works fine now. Everything is resolved :)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 12:13:29 am by Jungletoe »