Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Re:Volved, a game of evolution and other things  (Read 5261 times)

Gobbles

• View Profile
    • Email
Re:Volved, a game of evolution and other things
« on: March 25, 2013, 04:13:50 am »
Hi guys,

In my introductory post I spoke of working on transferring my current XNA game over to SFML and exploiter made an excellent comment about documenting the process. While detailing the entire process would be a long boring read I figured speaking about a couple of hiccups or issues I ran into here and there could be well worth noting.

As well as part of these posts ( I will probably try to give weekly updates), I will introduce some of the game as it becomes available. Currently since I am mid transfer I cannot showcase too much on it, however I can show off some of the concept art currently crawling it's way into the game. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks or so I can have a bare minimum combat area built for people to test and give some feedback :)

So here we have a few of the characters many evolution designs. These are still very early, however each evolution bases itself one of the games 4 major areas. These are: Forest, Mountain, Desert and Aquatic. Now these are the 'completed' forms and the player is by no means limited to the entirety of one form, the idea is for the player to play and use many of the different 'Body Parts' and construct a player that they like, using attacks and abilities they enjoy.

Feel free to ask any questions, I will try to add more content as the weeks progress.

Gobbles

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 03:02:43 am »
So Update #1, as I promised I would discuss some of the issues and hiccups along the way of working between XNA(C#) and SFML(C++).

To start off, I felt it prudent to port over my file loading code first, this includes the map layout files, character format files and map format files. For the most part this should of been pretty simple, data exported in C# editors, take it over to C++ and load it in. Unfortunately I remembered three-quarters of the way through that a)the files are binary and b) duhh, C# data is UTF16 and C++ data is UTF8 (I was trying to do a straight port without doing anything fancy).

So I had a few choices here, I could get fancy and write a proper converter to handle it all, scour the internet for the plethora of ideas and test the good from the bad or go the lazy me route. Lazy me decided to convert the output of my editors from binary to regular text, this way I could load it into another project specifically for taking in all the data and converting it into binary and spitting out a proper C++ format. This made loading my data simple and easy (although I'll admit, I do feel a bit dirty, but that's OK for now).

I should clarify a few things items here. I originally built a map editor, character editor and the game itself all in XNA. With the death of XNA and some other factors, I decided to move over to here, however I didn't feel a need to rebuilt the editors, as they worked great and I could just take the files they spit out and use them in the new sfml game. Clearly from the issue I described above, it would require for then a simple port that.

So enough of the boring stuff for now, time to introduce: Stone Fox(working name)

These guys dwell in the lower mountain regions and feast upon any rare minerals in the area. Extremely territorial, Stone Fox evolutions will grant the player devastating but slow slashing attacks and unwavering stability, preventing knockdown and push back while granting some nice health boosts.

As always feel free to ask any questions :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 03:04:38 am by Gobbles »

santiaboy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 03:22:11 am »
The drawings look really nice :D I'm guessing you went to an art school or something

How far are you in the game? concepts stage or do you have some screenshots/videos?

Gobbles

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 03:37:43 am »
Haha no, I don't draw. My friend does all the drawings(I pay her for them) and she's a professional artist, I take care of all the designing, programming, story, sound and well anything else that falls into my lap.
I'm past initial concept stage, more working towards an Alpha atm. The drawings are all concept however as they work towards being completed.

It'll be a little while yet before they are all finalized, but as they get finished, I will be adding them in. As for screenshots and videos, I COULD take them of the XNA version, but I'd much rather wait until this is working properly. Another reason also being I'm also doing upgrades at the same time :P

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 08:12:17 am »
C# data is UTF16 and C++ data is UTF8
C++ data can be anything. It depends on what you input. E.g. if your text editor is saving UTF-8, then your string literals are UTF-8. If you process UTF-8 strings in any of your editors/games, then yes, UTF-8 will be stored. However the term "C++ data is UTF-8" is not correct.

You can use SFML to convert between encodings. SFML internally uses UTF-32. Take a look at this: http://www.sfml-dev.org/documentation/2.0/classsf_1_1Utf.php . Especially the specializations are of interest, e.g.:

sf::Utf16::toUtf32( begin, end, output );

My friend does all the drawings(I pay her for them)
Is your friend still available for tasking? ;)

Gobbles

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 03:29:14 pm »
Yes, my apologies I mispoke on that. I meant that MY data is UTF-8. Thank you for the link, I didn't know this existed within SFML and could prove very useful.

I will gladly ask my friend if she's up for doing more work, I'm basically her only client atm so I'm sure she'd be glad to take on some more artwork.

Gobbles

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 01:38:18 am »
Wow it's been a while since I've been able to update anything. Time to get back into the groove of things.
To showcase what I've been working on lately I took a screen-cap for a small sneak peek ;)

Still a lot of work to do, but I'm excited! things are finally starting to come together and take shape!

Gobbles

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 02:42:01 am »
Splash art!
Just some temporary splash work by an awesome friend.

Gobbles

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 05:00:52 pm »
So about that time again to show off a little Art update. Here we finally have all 4 of the first forms all sketched out and completed! Game is making good progress and I hope to be able to show a gameplay video soon. Here's hoping.

Forest & Desert

Mountain and Aquatic

Mercy404

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 07:22:02 pm »
The artwork looks great!  How are the other aspects of the game coming along?

Gobbles

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 07:50:23 pm »
They are all coming along pretty good. So much to do, yet so little time in a day. My overall focus at this point is the combat and AI systems. The combat being a complete combo system that allows the player to explore a wide variety of combos and abilities based on which body parts he is using.

The AI is a little more tricky, not only do I need to replicate a lot of what the player is doing (most enemies behave just like the player would, so they can combo as well) but they also learn and adapt to the players actions.

Hopefully soon the game will be at a state that I feel comfortable showing it off, at which point I will gladly post a build/video for everyone.

anything