Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Why change the spelling of functions  (Read 8448 times)

supperpiccle

• View Profile
    • Email
Why change the spelling of functions
« on: April 03, 2013, 12:58:17 am »
I was developing a game using sfml 1.6 and anytime i would ask a question here i would get doged to go to 2.0.  Well i would gladly do it if most of the game had not been wrote.  What was the reason for going to camel case on all the functions?

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
Re: Why change the spelling of functions
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 01:10:06 am »
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=SFML+naming+convention

Maybe Google should spend their billions on the next improvement to their search engine usability and create a real, non-hoax brain-to-computer interface that eases the inhumane burden of typing into a search box. And at the same time Laurent should make forum search somewhat usable ;).
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

supperpiccle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 01:46:20 am »
You know what? this is the absolute worst community i have ever seen everyone seems to treat everyone like an idiot and i can tell you it is not appreiciated.  If we did not need the help i wouldnt ask and thank you very much i did google with why did sfml 2.0 go to camel case and got no results.  Don't worry it's not just you it's every stinken "hero member" or "full member" or whatever.  You all just need to get off your high horse and just humble yourselves.  If your gonna help somebody don't make them feel like an idiot.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 09:55:59 am »
You know what? this is the absolute worst community i have ever seen
Interesting to draw conclusions about the whole community from a single answer. If you knew the single members a little bit better, you would not take everything so seriously.

The naming convention was mainly changed because the new one is more widespread and popular. Laurent didn't want to change it again later, so SFML 2 seemed like the best opportunity for it.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 10:10:28 am »
I got another one: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sarcasm ;)

supperpiccle, indeed the community around SFML is very nice and newbie-friendly. However there's really a thread that's discussing the whole naming convention stuff (the lmgtfy link shows it). Maybe binary1248 should have linked to that instead, but I'd recommend to not take things personal in forums. ;)

Since we're all in peace again, let's discuss switching from javaStyleNamingConvention to hacker_cpp_convention. I'm sure Laurent is very open-minded in that regard! ;)

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 11:41:53 am »
Since we're all in peace again, let's discuss switching from javaStyleNamingConvention to hacker_cpp_convention. I'm sure Laurent is very open-minded in that regard! ;)
Is there even a library apart from Boost that uses the standard_style convention? :P
SFML Game Development:

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 12:02:32 pm »
Is there even a library apart from Boost that uses the standard_style convention? :P
Yes! FWMS, FWCS, FWU and FWSG - yeah all FlexWorld libraries. ;D
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 01:28:17 pm »
Yes! FWMS, FWCS, FWU and FWSG - yeah all FlexWorld libraries.
Don't forget the upcoming FWB (FW Build) and FWL (FW Language). :P

G.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 02:31:07 pm »
and thank you very much i did google with why did sfml 2.0 go to camel case and got no results.
When I google why did sfml 2.0 go to camel case, there are 131k results, and the "New naming convention" thread is the sixth (or third) result of the first page, I wouldn't call that "no results".  ???

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 02:40:40 pm »
To make it interesting I think You, Nexus and Laurent should take turns using all three in a way so that every lib has different convention than the other two. To make it even better replace hacker_cpp with something else to not be consistent with STL either. :D
Yes! FWMS, FWCS, FWU and FWSG - yeah all FlexWorld libraries.
Don't forget the upcoming FWB (FW Build) and FWL (FW Language). :P
You use hacker_cpp_convention?? Seriously? ???
Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 02:45:34 pm »
so that every lib has different convention than the other two
Too late, Nexus already got weak and changed to helloJava. SFGUI is still at OldSchool, so it's already different. ;)

You use hacker_cpp_convention?? Seriously?
Yep.

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 03:01:37 pm »
Stop calling it helloJava(even if it sounds so funny ;D), I hate Java but I like the camelCase.
You use hacker_cpp_convention?? Seriously?
Yep.
what_the_hell("?!?!?");
I was telling that someone just the other day. And now Tank comes out with his hello_stefan_convetion.. :(

Maybe we should open a thread in General Discussion about our coding standards and naming conventions and share them and oh, it's so cute and sweet..  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 03:05:16 pm by FRex »
Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 03:10:19 pm »
what_the_hell("?!?!?");[...]And now Tank comes out with his hello_stefan_convetion
I assume you don't like it? I even don't get why people use different styles for C++. In other languages people tend to stick to the naming conventions the standard lib uses, at least in Python, JavaScript, Ruby and similar languages.

back_to_the_roots please. :) (and btw, I'm typing on a QWERTZ keyboard with German layout, that means I have to hold shift and then press - to get an underscore!)

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 03:18:22 pm »
Too late, Nexus already got weak and changed to helloJava
Hey, while you were saying "good that you did it", I fought the camelCase convention! :D

And imagine Thor as a direct SFML extension to call everything differently -- it would be a giant mess, especially at classes like thor::BigSprite which inherits sf::Drawable and sf::Transformable ;)

I even don't get why people use different styles for C++.
Because the default_one seems to be awful enough that almost nobody likes it. Probably because people consider all the underscores less readable, especially in combination with operators.
SFML Game Development:

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 04:03:46 pm »
Hey, while you were saying "good that you did it", I fought the camelCase convention!
That's one point for you -- however the "good that you did it" was targeted at the "I change the naming convention", not the camelCase. ;)

Because the default_one seems to be awful enough that almost nobody likes it. Probably because people consider all the underscores less readable, especially in combination with operators.
Strange, because underscores are easier on the eyes than helloJavaWorld (compare with hello_java_world, I can better separate the words). But well, in the end it's just personal taste.

I'm fine with the conventions -- at least they're consistent, that's important.