Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Searchable documentation?  (Read 11850 times)

Pap

• View Profile
    • Email
Searchable documentation?
« on: April 19, 2013, 03:51:12 am »
Dear SFML community,
after some testing of the available multimedia libraries (namely SDL, allegro, Clanlib, SFML of course, and a few other "minor" ones), I decided to stick with SFML, as it seems to me easier to use and at the same time full of features. I compiled version 2 (RC) from sources and already experimenting with it. Documentation is, without any doubt, an absolutely necessary companion. Documentation (either the online version in the website or the offline generated one) is well organized in modules/classes/files, but unfortunately it lacks a "search" option (similar to the one found in SDL), which would be very handy. Is there such a feature, say in an alternative website documenting SFML?

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Re: Searchable documentation?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 06:14:45 am »
Google search:
keyword site:www.sfml-dev.org/documentation/2.0

In the documentation you build, you can change the Doxygen options to enable a search field.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Pap

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 12:33:37 pm »
In the documentation you build, you can change the Doxygen options to enable a search field.
I am not familiar with Doxygen (and I wonder why such a search field is not enabled by default). Anyway, if the end of doxyfile.in I noticed a tag, "SEARCHENGINE", which is disabled by default. Is that all I need to change?

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 12:56:50 pm »
If it's easy to do, I'd also suggest to enable it for the official website. Doesn't hurt anyone I guess.

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 01:30:31 pm »
Anyway, if the end of doxyfile.in I noticed a tag, "SEARCHENGINE", which is disabled by default. Is that all I need to change?
Test and find out.™ ;)

If it's easy to do, I'd also suggest to enable it for the official website. Doesn't hurt anyone I guess.
+1 :)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 03:04:51 pm »
Doesn't hurt anyone I guess.
It requires JavaScript, so it may not work depending on the security settings. In Internet Explorer, it triggers a security warning.
SFML Game Development:

Tank

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 03:54:06 pm »
In Internet Explorer
I stopped reading there. ;)

Pap

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 04:58:10 pm »
Anyway, if the end of doxyfile.in I noticed a tag, "SEARCHENGINE", which is disabled by default. Is that all I need to change?
Test and find out.™ ;)

Well, nobody wants to recompile a big library with several dependencies just because *maybe* changing a tag will fix the problem. Looking at the doxyfile doesn't make it clear at all by the way, not to mention most people don't have prior need to use doxygen to even know where to look. Sorry if I wasted your time, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask in the forums before recompiling everything, and I admit I expected an answer. A simple "yes" or "no" would waste less of your time anyway, instead of "try it out", "it's simple to do it" but no hint.

I use Mozilla on a 64-bit Debian system, so I guess javascript won't be an issue. And yes, search enabled on the website is mandatory, in my opinion.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 05:37:49 pm »
Yes, that's all you need to change. And you don't have to recompile the library, just compile the documentation (make doc)
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Pap

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 06:11:55 pm »
Yes, that's all you need to change. And you don't have to recompile the library, just compile the documentation (make doc)
Merci Laurent :)
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work. I now get a search box in /usr/local/share/SFML/doc/html/index.htm but it is dead, whatever I type there doesn't have any effect. I am using Debian's Iceweasel, which is actually Firefox. Javascript is enabled. Note that the rest of the compiled SMFL 2 works perfectly.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 06:15:16 pm »
I tried and got the same result. I have no idea why it doesn't work. Using Google is probably the best option.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 06:17:39 pm »
Well, nobody wants to recompile a big library with several dependencies just because *maybe* changing a tag will fix the problem. Looking at the doxyfile doesn't make it clear at all by the way, not to mention most people don't have prior need to use doxygen to even know where to look. Sorry if I wasted your time, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask in the forums before recompiling everything, and I admit I expected an answer. A simple "yes" or "no" would waste less of your time anyway, instead of "try it out", "it's simple to do it" but no hint.
I'm sorry if that offended you. The problem is though, that most of us won't really know it either or not in all details. So rather then relying on others to search Doxygens documentation, or test it out on their own, you could test it yourself, thus not wasting ours nor your time.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work. I now get a search box in /usr/local/share/SFML/doc/html/index.htm but it is dead, whatever I type there doesn't have any effect. I am using Debian's Iceweasel, which is actually Firefox. Javascript is enabled. Note that the rest of the compiled SMFL 2 works perfectly.
As you see now, the "yes" didn't really help you that much and you had to try it out anyways. ;)

I'm gonna test it now as well and will report back.
——————————————————————

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 06:20:10 pm »
The javascript backend is buggy (maybe it worked in the past with older version of doxygen ?). For a school project, we had to use the php backend to make it work.
SFML / OS X developer

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 06:28:45 pm »
The main problem here is, that SFML uses it's own header, which doesn't include the search JavaScript file and thus, all JavaScript calls fail.
If however you add
<script type="text/javascript" src="search/search.js"></script>
<link href="search/search.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>
to the header it works, but it isn't really integrated into the design.

The javascript backend is buggy (maybe it worked in the past with older version of doxygen ?). For a school project, we had to use the php backend to make it work.
Seems to work fine. :)
Though it is stated in the official documentation, that one should use a different solution for bigger projects.
——————————————————————

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 06:33:43 pm »
I stopped reading there. ;)
I almost wrote something because I expected exactly such a statement. Sometimes, you are really predictable. It's a pity that such comments are ever-present as soon as Microsoft products are mentioned.

And I don't even start to defend IE, but your comments helps no one. Since there are SFML users that have IE, you can't just ignore this browser.
SFML Game Development: