Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Small RPG design layout.  (Read 4675 times)

Luponius

• View Profile
Small RPG design layout.
« on: April 23, 2013, 07:39:03 pm »
Hi there, I've spent the past few days just reading up on various kinds of things to attempt to expand my knowledge before I even bother trying anything interesting and I've always been asking the same question and hunting for a specific answer of it, so I figured I'd open a topic to discuss it.

My current goal, once I can wrap my head around game design concepts well enough is to make a small rpg, oldskool like with a set of stats and some variance in equipment and such.  This of course means the enemies as well as friendly npcs would have the same amount of detail, possibly with the exception of the player due to swappable equipment and such.

Now the reason I made the thread is because I am curious as to how most coders out there would organize this, and what would you inherit from?

I'm still unfamiliar with SFML however I've attached a simple class structure which i kinda got off the top of my head.  Obviously this would not be correct since I've never done this and therefore never had to sit down and tackle the problems specifically, but how would one organize this?

With that in mind I might be able to take a more focused direction in learning.  My guess however, is the simpler the better, a single creature class which contains global stuff would probably be ideal, initiated once for the player, and then multiple more times with different details for the NPCs as well as enemies.

How would the sprites, animations and such be handled for these kind of situations?  Btw I'm mainly seeking just discussion, although code examples would be nice and welcome.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Re: Small RPG design layout.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 08:34:58 pm »
Your class organization looks already good, there are just minor things (creature::Sprite inconsistenly named, player and ally class should not require a destructor).

But you are also right that you could as well leave things simple for now and just go with a single creature class. Not required attributes would then have an empty state. This has the advantage that you don't need to work through polymorphic pointers all the time.

For animations, you could have a look at how I solved it in my extension library Thor (doc, example). You can directly use the Animation module, or write a simplified version if you don't need the flexibility. The class thor::FrameAnimation should contain the important parts in the latter case.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Stauricus

• View Profile
    • A Mafia Graphic Novel
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 09:25:21 pm »
well, i wouldn't change much about it, although i'm too newbie to say if it's good or not :P
how did you created this layout? in which program?
i'm curious to see others opinions too...
Visit my game site (and hopefully help funding it? )
Website | IndieDB

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 09:35:18 pm »
how did you created this layout? in which program?
It's the Visual Studio class diagram. Just one of its many nice features :)
SFML Game Development:

Luponius

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 09:40:12 pm »
@Stauricus As nexus pointed out, in visual studio simply right click your project (Not the solution) and select View Class Diagram.  In here you can see a representation of your relationships.  This however doesn't allow you to create them in here, it's just a representation.

@Nexus.  Regarding the constructors and destructors I wasn't even thinking, I cooked that up in a sketch-pseudo kind of way without thinking too much about the application factor.  However one thing you mentioned which caught my attention was that creature::Sprite was inconsistently named.  Care to explain please? =]

Stauricus

• View Profile
    • A Mafia Graphic Novel
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 10:07:54 pm »
oh, got it. too bad i'm on Lubuntu + Code::Blocks...  :o
Visit my game site (and hopefully help funding it? )
Website | IndieDB

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 11:25:34 pm »
creature::Sprite was inconsistently named.  Care to explain please? =]
All the other member variables of creature are written in lowercase letters, so Sprite should be too.

By the way, why do you also inherit Sprite? Don't do that, the forum is full of reasons why not :)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 11:29:21 pm by Nexus »
SFML Game Development:

Luponius

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 08:24:06 am »
Thanks for the reply, regarding the inheritance, I was just making a wild guess, once again it was something very rough and quick, however what would be best to inherit from, and would the class itself have capabilities of drawing itself to the renderwindow?

If so, how would that be done?  Create a draw method which takes in a reference to the main drawWindow and use that argument to draw the this->Sprite on it or what?

K-Bal

• View Profile
    • pencilcase.bandcamp.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 09:28:44 am »
If so, how would that be done?  Create a draw method which takes in a reference to the main drawWindow and use that argument to draw the this->Sprite on it or what?

Yep.
Listen to my band: pencilcase.bandcamp.com

Luponius

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 10:01:52 pm »
In that case what should the creature class inherit from, then, if anything?

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 10:33:10 pm »
Either sf::Drawable or nothing.
SFML Game Development:

Luponius

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 04:19:52 pm »
When and why would we need to inherit from drawable?

K-Bal

• View Profile
    • pencilcase.bandcamp.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 10:32:56 am »
I would not inherit anything but have a sprite (or whatever you need) as a member of your class and give it a draw function that takes an sf::RenderTarget& because I tend to think of my game objects relationship with their graphical representation as a "has a" relationship.

As a side note: as soon as you start to use inheritance for different types of game objects you should stop that and implement a component based game object system. In such a component system every object that is supposed to be rendered has a rendering component. See Tank's blog posts: http://stefan.boxbox.org/2012/11/14/game-development-design-1-the-component-system/. However, if your game is very simple your approach will make everything work with less headaches.

Have fun and keep us updated!
Listen to my band: pencilcase.bandcamp.com

anything