Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: MineSweeper  (Read 11851 times)

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Re: MineSweeper
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 04:09:49 pm »
Maybe I should try to make my own sprites/sounds etc., the problem is I suck at that.
Then get better :P

Especially for graphics, I find it quite important to have an own and consistent style. It needn't always be very polished; sometimes, simple graphics fit better. However, random spritesheets patched together mostly look bad (and you have to care about licenses).

For example, take a look at VVVVVV: The graphics are extremely simple, but they match the retro style of the game (although I'm personally not a big fan of this pixel style).
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

MorleyDev

• "It is not enough for code to work."
    • View Profile
    • http://www.morleydev.co.uk/
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 07:39:03 pm »
Don't be afraid of "placeholder" graphics and sounds tastefully acquired from whatever corner of the internet allows it. 99% of programmer art sucks :)
UnitTest11 - A unit testing library in C++ written to take advantage of C++11.

All code is guilty until proven innocent, unworthy until tested, and pointless without singular and well-defined purpose.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 08:25:01 pm »
I agree that there may be a lot of good assets to find, even free ones. However, the difficulty is to combine them in a way such that the game doesn't look like a patchwork, which is usually far worse than programmer art.

But I don't think that most programmer art sucks. If you check out the SFML games in the project forum, there are some with really nice graphics. Even if not all of them can compete with professional art, they still look good. Of course there are also many games with simple graphics made in Paint, but they tend to be smaller projects (often from beginners), where the focus lies on programming and not a shiny result. Correspondingly, the developers are less ambituous at making good graphics.

For music, it's a bit different -- I believe it is much more difficult to create something that sounds interesting and not boring or annoying. Also, it might be easier to find a music theme and some sound effects that match the game. Especially for sound effects, it's not obvious when different artists are involved in the making, while different graphic styles are well recognizable.

Anyway, that's only how I see it :)
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development: