Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: New website  (Read 47798 times)

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
New website
« on: April 29, 2013, 07:46:09 pm »
The new website is online.

There's still a lot to do on it, the style is quite neutral.

This thread is open for:
- comments
- bug reports
- ideas
- improvements
- new style / icons / images
- whatever
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

fstream

• View Profile
Re: New website
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 08:06:05 pm »
Bug: It relies on the browser's default styles having a white background.

With a default background of #222 it looks like this:
http://www.hashcookie.net/uploads/29f5f6907c_2013-04-29-200039_1154x879_scrot.png

SpectreNectar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 08:17:34 pm »
Bug:
Inheritance diagram for (...) doesn't seem to work. I'm using Chrome version 26.0.1410.64 m on Windows 7

JS Error: "toggleVisibility is not defined "

stoleks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 08:21:33 pm »
I think it would be great if we could navigate between the pages of the tutorial (with a simple link to the next page), and if there were some buttons to go up in the page in the doc/tutorial pages (it's not very necessary, but it's always great to have some kind of button like that).

Bug : the inheritance diagram do not seem to work on firefox (win 7). 

zsbzsb

• Active Maintainer of CSFML/SFML.NET
    • View Profile
    • My little corner...
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 10:41:07 pm »
Looks good, the forum banner still needs to be updated with the new logo. I will post anything else I notice too.
Motion / MotionNET - Complete video / audio playback for SFML / SFML.NET

NetEXT - An SFML.NET Extension Library based on Thor

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 10:44:33 pm »
Huh, just now it changed :o

Might probably be a bit bigger though... And as soon as we have the "simple & fast multimedia library", we could include that :)
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

eigenbom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 12:09:37 am »
Looks nice and clean. Here's a few comments!

Summary
I think that instead of "Welcome to the SFML website", you should put a short description about what SFML is. For example: "SFML is a Simple and Fast Multimedia Library that provides a solid foundation for developing games and multimedia software." Then you can give your 3 catchy points about multi-media, multi-platform, etc.

Simplicity
I think you should really espouse the simplicity/cleanliness of SFML, as I think that is its primary attraction (Otherwise we'd all be using SDL right?!) You could do that by either having some example code on the front page (maybe in a toggleable pane?), or by having a menu item that takes you to some sample code. (Maybe that could also show examples in the different bindings?)

Showcase
When I check out a new library or engine out, I want to see where it has been used before. So I really think you need a Showcase section on the site. Not a wiki, but a personal selection of say 4 of the best projects you've seen that have used SFML. I think something like ATOM ZOMBIE SMASHER (http://en.sfml-dev.org/forums/index.php?topic=4024.0) would be awesome as a feature item.

Would be nice to see a quote from someone about SFML, maybe in the showcase?

Anyway, congrats on the new website!

Jungletoe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 01:19:49 am »
I really like the new logo. Is there any chance you can upload it for promotion purposes in our games?

zsbzsb

• Active Maintainer of CSFML/SFML.NET
    • View Profile
    • My little corner...
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 03:30:13 am »
I see you updated the forum banner, and now I got a few more things that I noticed.

Your forum avatar still has the old logo; so you might want to update that. Also the flattr page is still using the old logo.

A bug I found is if you make your browser's width smaller than the minimum width of the site the horizontal scroll bars will appear correctly, however if you scroll to the right the green banner at the top will only stay the size of the browser window, basically the green banner needs a minimum width.
Change
#banner-container {
    width: 100%;
to
#banner-container {
    width: 100%;
    min-width: 950px;
The same problem also appears with the black line running across the bottom of the page to separate the footer from the rest of the page.
Firefox 20.0.1 Windows 8 64 bit.
Motion / MotionNET - Complete video / audio playback for SFML / SFML.NET

NetEXT - An SFML.NET Extension Library based on Thor

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 09:11:26 am »
Laurent, you really put a lot of effort into the Graphics tutorials! Nice work!
Maybe you could add again the symbols for the modules in the tutorial overview.

Showcase
When I check out a new library or engine out, I want to see where it has been used before. So I really think you need a Showcase section on the site. Not a wiki, but a personal selection of say 4 of the best projects you've seen that have used SFML. I think something like ATOM ZOMBIE SMASHER (http://en.sfml-dev.org/forums/index.php?topic=4024.0) would be awesome as a feature item.
That could be a good idea. HolySpirit and Ovid The Owl would also be nice candidates, I'm sure there are more.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 09:18:19 am by Nexus »
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 09:18:34 am »
Thanks for your comments :)

Bug: It relies on the browser's default styles having a white background.
I'll fix it this evening.

Bug:
Inheritance diagram for (...) doesn't seem to work. I'm using Chrome version 26.0.1410.64 m on Windows 7

JS Error: "toggleVisibility is not defined "
I already noticed that. I have no idea why it doesn't work, maybe a Doxygen bug?

I think it would be great if we could navigate between the pages of the tutorial (with a simple link to the next page)
Is it really needed? The tutorials are really independant, it's not as if they had to be followed in order.

and if there were some buttons to go up in the page in the doc/tutorial pages (it's not very necessary, but it's always great to have some kind of button like that).
Could be done. But in this case, where should I put these buttons?

Might probably be a bit bigger though... And as soon as we have the "simple & fast multimedia library", we could include that
This was a quick and dirty update. I'll improve it later. That would be great if I could integrate the website's banner directly.

Summary
I think that instead of "Welcome to the SFML website", you should put a short description about what SFML is. For example: "SFML is a Simple and Fast Multimedia Library that provides a solid foundation for developing games and multimedia software." Then you can give your 3 catchy points about multi-media, multi-platform, etc.
Why not ;)

Showcase
The main menu on the website is already full, I can't add new sections (bad design, I know...). So I don't know where such a section would go. I guess it wouldn't be visible enough and kind of lost, on the wiki. Suggestions are welcome :P

Would be nice to see a quote from someone about SFML, maybe in the showcase?
You mean, a list of people who say that SFML is great? I don't think this kind of stuff adds value to the website / library. Unless the quotes are from popular software developers / projects, but I have nothing like that to put on the website :P

Your forum avatar still has the old logo; so you might want to update that. Also the flattr page is still using the old logo.
Done.

A bug I found is if you make your browser's width smaller than the minimum width of the site the horizontal scroll bars will appear correctly, however if you scroll to the right the green banner at the top will only stay the size of the browser window, basically the green banner needs a minimum width.
Good catch, I didn't notice that.

Laurent, you really put a lot of effort into the Graphics tutorials! Nice work!
Hopefully they will now answer most of the common questions asked on the forum, especially about vertex arrays, views and the new rendering API in general.

Maybe you could add again the symbols for the modules in the tutorial overview.
I haven't found a consistent set of icons that all look good. Hum, maybe it's cleaner without them.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 09:21:12 am by Laurent »

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 10:02:35 am »
Although there's nothing wrong with the forum design, it would be kinda nice, if it were consistent with the website site, i.e. green instead of blue. If you agree, but don't want to go through the forum template, maybe you could share it, as it is now and someone could adapt the style. What do you think?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 10:19:22 am by eXpl0it3r »
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 10:19:01 am »
I'll try to improve the banner, this one was just a quick and dirty replacement.

I'll see if I can find nice green themes, but if I find nothing it will probably stay like this; I don't think it's inconsistent to have a different color for the forum. It may even be a better idea, it breaks this "green-everywhere" style :P

Or I could make the whole website blue, that's just one value to change in the CSS

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 10:21:16 am »
I'll try to improve the banner, this one was just a quick and dirty replacement.
I guess a different banner might already give a better feel.

Or I could make the whole website blue, that's just one value to change in the CSS
nooooo, I like the green so far. :)

I just had another idea while looking at the tutorials; it would be nice to have permanent links to the different sections in the tutorial. So if someone had a question for which the answer can be found in the tutorial, one could link him directly to the correct section.
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 10:27:20 am »
I just had another idea while looking at the tutorials; it would be nice to have permanent links to the different sections in the tutorial.
I started to do it and had style problems (anchors and links use the same HTML tag). But I guess it could be solved easily by using a specific CSS class for anchors. I'll see what I can do.