Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Anyone else pick up "The C++ Programming Language - 4th Edition"?  (Read 4353 times)

The Terminator

• Windows and Mac C++ Developer
    • View Profile
I just picked it up today, and I must say it's quite a good book. I wanted a large overview on C++11 and I must say, so far it's given it to me (and I'm only on page 113!) Any other thoughts or opinions?
Current Projects:
Technoport

rubiconjosh

• View Profile
Re: Anyone else pick up "The C++ Programming Language - 4th Edition"?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 06:05:18 am »
I received my copy in the mail two days ago. I just finished chapter 8 and I like the book. It is certainly not for beginners to programming. My introduction to c++ was a book called Starting out with C+: From Control Structures to Objects, it was a much better book for starting out, but does not go into detail nearly as much as Stroustrup.

I picked up a copy of The C++ Standard Library a Tutorial and Reference 2nd Edition a couple of months ago, I also recommend it if you are interested in C++11.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 06:09:32 am by rubiconjosh »

MrBushido

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 11:39:32 am »
Jay Baxter from Blizzard recently released some recommended reading lists for developers for varying levels of experience. They have a heavy focus on C++ material, so perhaps they may come in handy if you're looking for more!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/listmania/byauthor/A3VCLPFBQG9OUU/ref=cm_pdp_lm_all

Klaim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 10:28:36 pm »
I'll wait for the C++14 version. C++14 is a bugfix-minor-improvement release of the C++11 version, and it will be fixed next year (because they work fixed schedule now). So I don't see the point into getting this one.