Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Window icon shows up late on the start bar and slow window switching  (Read 1557 times)

Chunker120

• View Profile
I have a big game written in SFML, and a problem that has been occuring is that the game takes a while to show up on the windows taskbar, and if I do the following steps, I can't switch windows anymore, it's like a constant window lag, even though the game runs at 65 FPS:
step1: Open the game, icon shows up after 8 seconds
step2: click on another windows icon on the start bar
step 3: click on the game icon again
step4: Now I can't click another icon again, I can alt+tab out of the game, though it will sometimes crash and call abort()

I'm not sure what code to show because I'm not sure what can cause this. It's been happening for a while but I thought it was just my computer (it isn't)

Additional details

• I built SFML myself, I didn't mix up debug and release.
  • I'm using Windows 7 32-bit, AMD Athlon 64 processor 3000+
  • I'm using Visual Studio 2012 as the IDE
  • It could possibly be an operating system error, a friend of mine that is using windows 8 has said that the game has no problem with switching windows, but a friend that uses the exact same version of windows like me has reported this issue.
  • I am using a thread.
  • The sf::RenderWindow is not global

Again, I'm sorry about no code, it's a general question, and I don't really know which part of the code to show, I have about 20 files of game engine, and no idea what could be causing this. However, my speculations are that the thread is causing this. I am using a sf::Thread to load resources during a loading screen, and I don't terminate it.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer