Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: My exploratory narrative game "Postmortem" casting you as Death incarnate...  (Read 13158 times)

Koobazaur

• View Profile

You are Death sent to claim a life in a country torn by
a violent domestic conflict and industrial revolution.

How will you choose?

http://www.postmortemgame.com

Official Trailer

Watch the Teaser Video

We are currently in Closed Beta, so Hurry Up and Register! Don't miss your chance to Preview the game and Influence it's development!

We're also still looking out for one extra writer/editor and potentially graphic artist (in-game sprites, maybe GUI) so if you're interested shoot me an email at info@postmortemgame.com . We'll also be starting a second round of Beta Testing signups soon so keep an eye out!

Please check the Postmortem Homepage
Like on Facebook
Follow on Twitter
Track on IndieDB

What is Postmortem?

Postmortem is a short exploratory adventure game taking place in a fictional industrial-age country of Galicia, ravaged by five years of violent rioting between two ideologically and economically divided communities. You play as death incarnate, sent to a fundraising gala with the objective of claiming a single life from any of its attendants and staff.

By exploring the space, conversing with the patrons, and uncovering various clues, you will learn about the world and the characters, revealing how their deaths might (or might not!) influence the country.

But how much should you meddle with mortal affairs? Perhaps a random choice is the fairest? What other effects could your involvement have?

Quick FAQ

What is the state of the game?
The game is now in fully playable, feature-complete Beta! We are now making final design decisions, replacing and polishing placeholder art, as well as editing all writing + story.

What Platforms is it for?
Currently, only a PC release is planned. Will there be more? If it takes off :)

Will it be free?
Yup! If the game proves successful, I do have ideas for future episodes and projects that may go commercial, but the original will always be free!

Who is developing this game?
Me, with the help of two talented composers, three graphic artists, and a writer, but I am still looking for extra helping hands. So let me know if you'd like to jump onboard and become a part of the team!

When will it be released?
If all goes according to the plan, August 15!

So who is the author?

I am a travelling Cinematographer, Game Programmer and Web Developer currently living in Los Angeles. Aside from hobby game programming since me tweens, I have worked for two years at a small indie studio that published two titles for PCs and consoles. I also have a Masters in Comparative Ethnic Conflict which, as you can see, inspired much of the setting for the game. This isn't intended to brag so I'm skipping details - if you're still curious you can find more details about me here.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 06:20:27 pm by Koobazaur »

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Interesting and unconventional setting! This has a lot of potential :)

Will the playground be that gala or also other places? How do you investigate the different people or how do you learn about their past? I guess they won't talk to death personally :D (or do you pretend to be another human?)
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

eigenbom

• View Profile
Cool, it looks great. :)

Koobazaur

• View Profile
Thanks guys  :D

Interesting and unconventional setting! This has a lot of potential :)

Will the playground be that gala or also other places? How do you investigate the different people or how do you learn about their past? I guess they won't talk to death personally :D (or do you pretend to be another human?)

And that's something you'll have to find out for yourself ;) Stay tuned for further announcements!

Koobazaur

• View Profile
Just a quick update on a new article - Meet the Team: Gelerli, and new Concept Art!

Go read it!

Jungletoe

• View Profile
    • Email
This looks really cool.

How did you manage to do isometric rendering? I assume that you altered vertex arrays to draw isometrically?

Koobazaur

• View Profile
Nope, all the graphics are just 2D iso tiles, rendered with stock SFML. Nothing too complex going on there tbh, though still working some rendering order kinks with non-square objects!

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
Very interesting game idea and nice preview! :)

We have just entered Beta Stage and announced a release date - August 15th!
So it's essentially a birthday present for me? :P
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Koobazaur

• View Profile

So it's essentially a birthday present for me? :P

Well, some are sent to earth to claim lives, others to make awesome birthday gifts ;)

mateandmetal

• The bird is the word
    • View Profile
    • my blog
Very insteresting proyect!  8)
If you need spanish traslation write me a pm  ;D
- Mate (beverage) addict
- Heavy metal addict _lml
- SFML 2 addict
- My first (and free) game: BichingISH!

Koobazaur

• View Profile
Oooh interesting, we haven't considered translations yet. I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

In other new, we got a shout-out at the StartSelect Podcast, Check it Out! Thanks Adam!

And if you haven’t already:
Check the Postmortem Homepage
Like on Facebook
Follow on Twitter
Track on IndieDB

Oh, and a bonus screenshot for your pleasure:

Koobazaur

• View Profile
Just a heads up we're reaching our next milestone soon, with more New Art, Major Rewrites, and Beta Testing opening up next week, if you guys want to get more details and see some new artwork!

Who is this mysterious cast of characters?

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
Looks awesome!
Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

Koobazaur

• View Profile
Big milestone reached with new Official Trailer and Closed Beta Signups! Hurry Up and Register! Don't miss your chance to Preview the game and Influence it's development!

WATCH THE TRAILER!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 06:28:09 pm by Koobazaur »

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
Nice! Signed up! :D

Well I'm still waiting for the activation code of the forum though, not sure what's taking so long... :-\
Had a bit of a delay. ;)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 07:47:32 pm by eXpl0it3r »
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

anything