Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Poll

Do you listen to music while you program, if so what do you listen to?

Yeah, the genre depends on my mood though.
13 (26.5%)
No, never.
3 (6.1%)
Yeah, mostly Heavy Metal //Metal, Power Metal or 90's-ish Metal etc.
7 (14.3%)
Yeah, mostly Moderate Rock.
1 (2%)
Yeah, mostly Blues.
0 (0%)
Yeah, mostly Country.
0 (0%)
Yeah, mostly Soft Rock.
0 (0%)
Yeah, mostly Hard Rock.
3 (6.1%)
Yeah, mostly General Pop music.
0 (0%)
Yeah, mostly Funk.
1 (2%)
Yeah, mostly Folk.
0 (0%)
Yeah, mostly Rap & Hip hop.
0 (0%)
Yeah, mostly Electronica //Techno, 90's Video Game music or Trance etc.
12 (24.5%)
Yeah, mostly Dub Step.
3 (6.1%)
Yeah, I'll be more specific in my comment //Other.
6 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: Do you listen to music while you program, if so what do you listen to?  (Read 7875 times)

xylr117z4

• View Profile
    • Email
I'm a huge music guy so I'm wondering what you listen to while you program, if anything.  Vote above and maybe we can chat about cool bands we all listen to.  Maybe I'll get a chance to show off my collection that I have sitting in the drawer behind me.

gyscos

• View Profile
I think music is too vast to be MCQ'ed.
I mainly listen to progressive metal (Fair to Midland, Dream Theater, Green Carnation), doom jazz (Bohren und der club of Gore) and 19th century 'classical' music (Gustav Mahler, Offenbach), none of which are options - expectedly.
Also, you didn't start with your own preferences :p

Aster

• View Profile
I mostly listen to Coldplay, 2CELLOS and Avenged Sevenfold while coding. Recently more Coldplay, since I'm learning OpenGL and I need slower music to not rage at all the bugs/mistakes I make, but when I'm working with something familiar (like SFML), I listen to more fast-paced music.  :P

thePyro_13

• View Profile
I prefer music without lyrics when working on something. So I tend to listen to soundtracks. Currently I listen to the Bastion soundtrack while programming.

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
Depending on the mood, I usually code under my collections of Dubstep, Classic Rock / Grunge or even classical music, it all depends :D But I indeed code pretty much *always* with music :D

awsumpwner27

• View Profile
Music from video games. I should probably start listening to more of it these days.

Anything from the Pikmin series is good, and Kirby Air Ride had some sweet music. Super Mario World's music was quite good too.

Groogy

• MSN Messenger - groogy@groogy.se
    • View Profile
    • http://www.groogy.se
    • Email
Nu-jazz, Electroswing :P Love Goldfish <3
Developer and Maker of rbSFML and Programmer at Paradox Development Studio

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
Music from video games. I should probably start listening to more of it these days.

Anything from the Pikmin series is good, and Kirby Air Ride had some sweet music. Super Mario World's music was quite good too.

Wow, I have a hard time hearing that kind of music at all times :p Something that is also cool to listen to is instrumental progressive rock, something like:

xylr117z4

• View Profile
    • Email
I think music is too vast to be MCQ'ed.
I mainly listen to progressive metal (Fair to Midland, Dream Theater, Green Carnation), doom jazz (Bohren und der club of Gore) and 19th century 'classical' music (Gustav Mahler, Offenbach), none of which are options - expectedly.
Also, you didn't start with your own preferences :p

I listen to basically any while I program, it just depends on my mood but I mostly listen to Power Metal (Iron Savior, Blind Guardian, Hammerfall.)
Also sorry I missed some genres I listed as many as came to mind including some I dislike but talking about disliking something would be a dick move so I'm going to avoid that.
Classical Orchestra music and things are enjoyable at time, that's what my girlfriend mainly listens to.  Sometimes I listen to Hip hop type things but it all depends on my mood really.

cpolymeris

• View Profile
    • Email
To work for coding it has to be a) energetic but b) not distracting (no vocals, no comlicated melodies), hopefully a little trace-inducing. So I usually end up listning to electronic music. Lately, a lot of .

...(Gustav Mahler, Offenbach), ...

With those choices, I would be thinking about the music, instead of the code.

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
Mostly soundtracks since I'm kind of a soundtrack fan, movies, TV shows, games, anything.
Then again, I'll listen to anything that has some harmony to it and doesn't just sound like noise to me (e.g. about all metal music, sorry guys! :D).
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

FRex

• Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023
    • View Profile
    • Email
I do listen to Nightcore (remixes that are making songs sound fast and sweet and oh-so-nice) but I'm trying to cut it out because after trying out pomodoro technique I noticed that silence and focus visibly increase my productivity.
Back to C++ gamedev with SFML in May 2023

AFS

• View Profile
I like to listen to a little bit of everything. Right now I've been listening to a lot of jazz and blues.

Pretty catchy.

Yemeni Cpluspluser

• C/C++, Soon Java and SQL ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Email
Not no, and not Yes  :-\

here it how it goes
I start the music, mostly Arabic lyrics, then I start programming, then after the first few several syntax I debug, found error, decrease the volume little bit and fix the error, then after that continue programming, program gets more complicated and I need to focus more, syntax after syntax I decrease the volume, several hundreds of lines later I find the volume set on 0 and the music is playing, so I guess the answer is No. LOL
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 07:20:42 pm by Yemeni Cpluspluser »
sf::signature mySignature;
mySignature.setPosition(forum.x,forum.y);
window.draw(mySignature);