Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFML Game Jam Time info  (Read 13888 times)

Jebbs

• DSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
SFML Game Jam Time info
« on: August 08, 2013, 06:28:25 am »
Hey guys,

Out of all the things we should decide on for the next jam, I feel like when the next jam should be is the most important thing to decide as soon as possible. On the same lines, we can also talk about how often we should have the event.

Currently, I'm thinking every 4 months, which would put the next jam in December.
DSFML - SFML for the D Programming Language.

Aster

• View Profile
Re: SFML Game Jam Time info
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 06:33:47 am »
I think every four months is too close to what the Ludum Dare is doing. We'd be three weeks ahead. And I don't really like the idea of being so closely tied to the Ludum Dare.

We could do the next one in 6 months, then every four months from thereon. That would separate the SFML jam from the Ludum Dare, and it would give people less excuses not to participate. ("Yeah, but the Ludum Dare is soon, and one jam a month is enough!")

Of course, these are just suggestions.

Lo-X

• View Profile
    • My personal website, with CV, portfolio and projects
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 07:53:30 am »
I'd like it to be every 3 months :p

Jebbs

• DSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 05:33:15 pm »
We could do the next one in 6 months, then every four months from thereon. That would separate the SFML jam from the Ludum Dare, and it would give people less excuses not to participate. ("Yeah, but the Ludum Dare is soon, and one jam a month is enough!")

This is a good idea and a good point. I would be ok with doing this.

I'd like it to be every 3 months :p
Did you have that much fun? :P
I'm worried that having the jams too close together is going to make them lose their luster. With out any data it's hard to decide when that is, though.

Something else I forgot to mention that I would like some feedback on is the start time. Any thoughts on that?

zsbzsb

• Active Maintainer of CSFML/SFML.NET
    • View Profile
    • My little corner...
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 05:52:41 pm »
I'm worried that having the jams too close together is going to make them lose their luster. With out any data it's hard to decide when that is, though.
I agree entirely about having them too close together, doing one in 6 months and then every 4 months is a good idea and gets my vote.

Something else I forgot to mention that I would like some feedback on is the start time. Any thoughts on that?

The time itself for me was fine, but what I think is that the start and ending times needs to be made clearer. Make sure that everyone knows that the theme will be announced at 1400 UTC with 1 hour for planning (not coding) and then the coding can start exactly at 1500 UTC.
Motion / MotionNET - Complete video / audio playback for SFML / SFML.NET

NetEXT - An SFML.NET Extension Library based on Thor

Lo-X

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 06:15:42 pm »
The starting time was fine for me too (16:00 and 17:00 in France, I got time to get out of work looking for the theme and get home on time to start coding)

That's one hour less in the UK wich is, IMHO, fine too.

Dunno how it was in the USA ...

Jebbs

• DSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 06:18:33 pm »
It was 700 and 800 for me(West Coast US). I actually posted the Thread that started the jam while at work. :P

Gobbles

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 09:50:58 pm »
11-12 here for me in Atlantic Canada. I was stuck in work and didn't get to start until 8ish my time. No big deal though, would of hurt much worse if it was a 24h jam.

Aster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 11:28:54 pm »
You could start the jam on a newday UTC (00:00 UTC). Or just decrement the starting times by two hours every time (like that everyone gets their time to shine ;D).

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 04:30:09 pm »
Do we now know when the next Jam will be? :)
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Jebbs

• DSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 12:29:08 pm »
I really liked Aster's suggestion of creating an offset with Ludum Dare and then doing it every 4 months there after. If we decide to do it 6 months from when the thread was started(also like Aster suggested) and we leave everything else the same, it'll be February 2nd starting at 15:00 UTC.

I'm totally ok with that, and work will be slow for me so I'll be able to take time off and join this time!

Lo-X

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 02:45:56 pm »
I really liked Aster's suggestion of creating an offset with Ludum Dare and then doing it every 4 months there after. If we decide to do it 6 months from when the thread was started(also like Aster suggested) and we leave everything else the same, it'll be February 2nd starting at 15:00 UTC.

I'm totally ok with that, and work will be slow for me so I'll be able to take time off and join this time!

I relayed that and openGL discussion on the french forum, explicitely saying that it still can change.

I cannot wait so long 'till the next jam :p And that would be nice if you could participate

Jebbs

• DSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 07:58:34 pm »
I relayed that and openGL discussion on the french forum, explicitely saying that it still can change.
Cool! I'm going to post some more in there today and hopefully we'll get it all settled.

I cannot wait so long 'till the next jam :p And that would be nice if you could participate

It is a long time, but look how much you're looking forward to it! :P Also, it provides time to have some kind of website up and running for the next jam. That's the plan anyway.

lockandstrike

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 06:14:26 pm »
I know this thread as sat still for a long time and I'm sorry I'm reopening it but I had something that I thought I should share.

The SFML Game Jam always starts on Friday

I don't know if its already like that but if it isn't it should start to be like so

Jebbs

• DSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 07:56:22 pm »
I know this thread as sat still for a long time and I'm sorry I'm reopening it but I had something that I thought I should share.

The SFML Game Jam always starts on Friday

I don't know if its already like that but if it isn't it should start to be like so

It has been at a stand still, but don't feel bad about posting here. I've just been really busy with other projects to be able to focus solely on the jam. I'm trying to wrap a few things up so hopefully I can put more of my time towards this near the end of the month.

The last one was on a Friday, and I think having the following jams start Friday is a great idea. Every 4 months on the nearest Friday? January 31st then? Works for me!