Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [LD 27] 10 seconds barrier  (Read 4315 times)

Lo-X

• View Profile
    • My personal website, with CV, portfolio and projects
[LD 27] 10 seconds barrier
« on: August 25, 2013, 11:21:10 pm »
This week end I've submited my very fist Ludum Dare game : 10 seconds barrier.

You're an athlete that wants to get under the 10 seconds barrier in a 100m race. Can you ?

To accelerate, press your keyboard keys while your character is running over the corresponding letter on the lane. But don't miss if you don't want to slow down !

The difficulty and the speed increase after every race you win !

My experience for this LD48 #27

I was very worried about the time, 48h isn't much to do a game when you're coding it in C++ from scratch ! Plus I'm very not an artist and I'm alone, so I wanted to do something very simple that I could finish within the 48 hours.

The result is that I finished the basic game and arts in 24h, so I decided to get into another challenge for me : network my game ! Indeed I never did it before (for a game), so it was tricky. I finished just in time, with some bugs : I can't get internet network game working every time, but it works in LAN. Wierd. Well, I learned things, that was the point !

Technical points

The game was made entirely with SFML (every modules), with my potato framework based on the SFML Game Development Book that, once again, helped me a lot THANKS !. I had trouble to set up the network part and there's still some network bug I don't understand, but I learned a lot (and it works on my LAN so whatever).

You can find my entry post here

Download for windows

Download for linux (x64)

Video on Vimeo

Improvements

I think I'm gonna add some more characters. It was funny to add a unique posture to each one of them, even if I'm not a graphist and my artwork is approximative.

I'll definitely fix nnetworking part as well. Sounds like I will use it in other games. It's always fun when you can play with friends.

I'll add some levels between level. Difficulty is growing hard and it's repetitive. I thought about adding an infinite mode, longer levels, variable distance between and number of key zones. Perhaps event objects for networking mode, that can alter letters, slow down players ahead... Fun stuff !

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
Re: [LD 27] 10 seconds barrier
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 11:56:36 pm »
I really like the art style! :)

Not sure how fun it is to play against each other, but the solo mode is not really challenging... :-\

Added to my SFML News list.
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

Lo-X

• View Profile
    • My personal website, with CV, portfolio and projects
Re: [LD 27] 10 seconds barrier
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 07:56:03 am »
Not sure how fun it is to play against each other, but the solo mode is not really challenging... :-\

Added to my SFML News list.

The difficulty increases pretty fast, but the game loses its fun fast.
I wanted to do something very simple for my first LD48, but I think I planed too simple...

Thanks for the news (and for the news with SFML Jam games !) :D

anything