Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: MParticles - 2D C# Particle System  (Read 9375 times)

Mister

• Zomg
    • View Profile
MParticles - 2D C# Particle System
« on: September 06, 2013, 04:42:30 am »
MParticles is a 2D -- Graphics Agnostic -- Particle System

MParticles
I just recently started using SFML .Net and it was brought to my attention that SFML .Net didn't have any particle system that was actively developed. This was a bummer because I am planning on using SFML .Net for all my future 2D Game endeavors and not having a proper Particle System was simply out of the question -- thats when I got to work.

Now before I go on I must tell you that I have never made a particle system before -- not even a little test emitter  just to play around and get the feel of things -- never. So this was a whole new experience for me to say the least; so far I think I am doing pretty good  ;D

Graphics Agnostic?
This particle library (by itself, not including the renderer library) can be run in any C# environment (XNA, SFML, SDL, etc). The ONLY thing that requires a reference to the 2D Graphics Library that you are using is when you go to Draw the particle systems to the screen; for that I have an MParticles.Renderers.SFML.dll that will take care of that.

Wheres The Source?
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mparticles/

Wheres The Latest Demo Binaries?
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mparticles/files/latest/download?source=files

Screen Shots:

« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 06:17:14 am by Mister »
Check out My Blog.

Estivo

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: MParticles
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 10:10:32 pm »
Looks really great. What about C++ port?

Ixrec

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 11:59:45 pm »
Thor has a particles system, and that's in C++, so try that.  I *think* this project was based on Thor in some way but it wasn't quite clear in the other thread.

@Mister: Is this a port of Thor's particle module or is it completely new?

zsbzsb

• Active Maintainer of CSFML/SFML.NET
    • View Profile
    • My little corner...
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 12:59:50 am »

Mister's particle system (MParticles) is not based on Thor, the codebase is entirely different. However my project NetEXT (see my signature) is a C# port of Thor.
Motion / MotionNET - Complete video / audio playback for SFML / SFML.NET

NetEXT - An SFML.NET Extension Library based on Thor

Mister

• Zomg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 02:18:23 am »
Looks really great. What about C++ port?

Thanks :D, I won't be porting it over to C++ however -- I am strictly keeping C#.

Thor has a particles system, and that's in C++, so try that.  I *think* this project was based on Thor in some way but it wasn't quite clear in the other thread.

Like Zsbzsb said -- it's a completely new particle system.  ;)

Mister's particle system (MParticles) is not based on Thor, the codebase is entirely different. However my project NetEXT (see my signature) is a C# port of Thor.

This is correct  :). Mine is heavily based on a closed source XNA particle system; DPSF.
Check out My Blog.

Ixrec

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 05:16:54 am »
Well that explains my confusion.

By the way, since I haven't tried out any of these particle systems yet, are there any major differences between Thor/NetEXT and MParticles that are easy to explain?  Or would I just have to try all of them to figure it out?

Mister

• Zomg
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 06:10:32 am »
Well that explains my confusion.

By the way, since I haven't tried out any of these particle systems yet, are there any major differences between Thor/NetEXT and MParticles that are easy to explain?  Or would I just have to try all of them to figure it out?

I have't tried Thor/NetEXT -- So I can't really speak for them. zsbzsb said MParticles was entirely different from either of their source code, so I can only assume that there are major differences between them.

I would say you should try it out  8)
Check out My Blog.

zsbzsb

• Active Maintainer of CSFML/SFML.NET
    • View Profile
    • My little corner...
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 04:53:59 pm »
Or would I just have to try all of them to figure it out?

Since NetEXT is a port of Thor you can directly use Thor's documentation with NetEXT.

I have't tried Thor/NetEXT -- So I can't really speak for them. zsbzsb said MParticles was entirely different from either of their source code, so I can only assume that there are major differences between them.

I wouldn't call it major differences, after all most particle systems will have some common functions because they are all particle systems. I haven't looked very closely at MParticles, but the drawing for sure is entirely different. MParticles uses IDrawable interface for what it draws without using a vertex array. NetEXT follows Thor's implementation uses a Particle class that is then converted into a vertex array before being drawn.
Motion / MotionNET - Complete video / audio playback for SFML / SFML.NET

NetEXT - An SFML.NET Extension Library based on Thor

Gobbles

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: MParticles - 2D C# Particle System
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 11:15:19 pm »
good stuff, the snow and the "One Ring" were my favorites. The rain (i think it was rain) looked more like jumping to warp speed :P

Good job overall

Mister

• Zomg
    • View Profile
Re: MParticles - 2D C# Particle System
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 01:30:25 pm »
Thanks for the comment! I thought the Ring was pretty cool too when I finished making it  :D

And yeah it was rain lol  ;) I gotta fix that one up -- find a new texture -- tweak the variables -- or something.. I'll update it when I have time again  8)

Thanks for trying it out!
Check out My Blog.