Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SFML Game Development  (Read 1695 times)

darthgernot

• View Profile
    • Email
SFML Game Development
« on: September 17, 2013, 07:48:38 pm »
Hi guys;)

First my english is bad because i am just a student from Austria.

I dunno if i am here right but i try it :D

I bought the book "SFML Game Development" and now i stuck. I load the folder with the dates and i dunno o.O
I am at the end of capitel 1. I used Visual Studio and Static libaries but i dunno what is Cmake? and should i use it? What makes it? how should i use it? i have no plan i dont understand the tutorial...

greats
Gernot

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
Re: SFML Game Development
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 08:03:50 pm »
Welcome to the SFML forum! :)

I'd like to help, but I guess due to translation difficulties, I don't understand what your problem is.
If you're having a hard time understanding the official SFML tutorials or the book, then things will be quite hard.

If your question is mainly about setting things up then you can read the official tutorial on how to work with Visual Studio. CMake is a tool with which you can write one build file and generate make or project files for a number of compilers on different platforms. The books makes use of it to simplify things. It's a very useful tool and you should learn about it, but you can also create projects manually, add the source files and add linking information.

Overall you have to keep in mind though that the book requires you to have solid understanding in C++ which also includes working with your choosen IDE (i.e. Visual Studio). If you're lacking in those areas you should go and read a good book on C++.

Also since you're from Austria you could pay the German SFML community a visit. It doesn't have a high population, but it might still be easier for you.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 08:06:18 pm by eXpl0it3r »
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

darthgernot

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 08:15:56 pm »
Oh no i havnt that problem do understand the book or the tutorials but dont get it with this cmake. And C++ isnt my problem too because we learned it in the school and if i have a little problem i can ask my teacher.

Ok my problem is just CMake i dont get it.

what should i do with this programm? where and what should i fill in there? btw i have visual studio 2012 and windows 8 if this make a difference

Clockwork

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 03:38:58 am »
Welcome!

If you're using Visual Studio 2012 you shouldn't need to use CMake.  There's already a download of SFML for it.  I use VS 2012 and I just used the download for VS 2012 and ignored CMake.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 09:30:46 am »
Take a look at the official ReadMe.txt which is supplied with the code of the book. Make sure you follow it step by step and you understand everything; otherwise ask again.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

anything