Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: LibGDX's Scene2d in SFML  (Read 6379 times)

malkierian

• View Profile
LibGDX's Scene2d in SFML
« on: November 07, 2013, 06:35:20 pm »
Anyone know of anything that people have made that's like LibGDX's Scene2d for SFML?  I have a game that I was programming in Java with LibGDX, and I was just going to get into D because it looks like it could finally handle things like I would need them to and be native code (security), but without a Scene2d equivalent, it's going to be much harder than I was expecting.

By the way, I posted this in the D section because from what I understand, D would be required to even write something like Scene2d for SFML.

Jebbs

• DSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: LibGDX's Scene2d in SFML
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 08:59:15 pm »
I'm not very familiar with libGDX, but I can tell you that game development in D isn't very mature yet so I would be very surprised to hear about any kind of Scene2D equivalent for the D binding for SFML.

I would ask in other parts of the forums on Scene2D-esque stuff for the C++ version of SFML and then see if there's a way to port it to D. That's probably your best bet. It's actually pretty easy to port C++ code to D.

Hope that helps!
DSFML - SFML for the D Programming Language.

malkierian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 05:28:22 am »
Yeah, that's why I asked in here, as I'm almost certain some of the things they do in LibGDX's Scene2d aren't possible in C++, but would be in D.  Guess I'll just have to try my hand at porting/creating it myself.

By the way, I read somewhere that SFML could possibly have batching going on for sprite rendering.  Is that true, and where could I go to read up on more of that?  It's kind of crucial to the entire Scene2d thing.

Jebbs

• DSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 08:35:11 am »
SFML doesn't have any built in stuff for batch drawing. I feel like I remembered seeing a wiki entry about that though, but I am having trouble finding it.

That said, you can use a Vertex array instead of the Sprite class to draw multiple things at the same time. with the same texture.
DSFML - SFML for the D Programming Language.

malkierian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 06:53:39 pm »
Guess I'll just have to do that from scratch too, lol.