Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Poll

What IDE do you use/wish you could use?

Visual Studio
39 (42.9%)
Code::Blocks
16 (17.6%)
Xcode
1 (1.1%)
Eclipse
3 (3.3%)
Netbeans
0 (0%)
CodeLite
3 (3.3%)
KDevelop
0 (0%)
QT Creator
10 (11%)
Dev-C++
0 (0%)
Plain Text Editor (Badass)
11 (12.1%)
Other (Sorry if I left one out)
8 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Author Topic: Favorite IDE  (Read 26324 times)

Lo-X

• View Profile
    • My personal website, with CV, portfolio and projects
Re: Favorite IDE
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2013, 11:07:14 am »
By the way, Sublime Text costs too. Some IDEs require a commercial operating system.

I do not agree about Sublime, you can use it freely and without any limit in time. But, even if it is my favorite tool for web things, I don't like it for compiled languages because it's NOT an IDE... It does not handle projects, it does not allow compilation. If you want to do so, you have a lot of plugins to install, and even so it's still not an IDE.

My fav is by far QtCreator, that is capable of auto-complete things from libs, other files and everything, as well as a very very helpul integrated Qt documentation.

wintertime

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2013, 11:26:41 am »
Sublime Text does cost. As you can read on their website, you can--evaluate--it without an enforced time limit, but the moment you start to use it continuously you need to buy a license, and it seems you do.

Lo-X

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2013, 12:06:50 pm »
Sublime Text does cost. As you can read on their website, you can--evaluate--it without an enforced time limit, but the moment you start to use it continuously you need to buy a license, and it seems you do.

I do have a licence for my pro work with Sublime, yes, but still you can use it freely, the term "continued" is a bit fuzzy. Anyway, the question is not about the interpretation of that word but the usage of the sofware. Plus, I highly recommand Sublime to everyone that want to do website coding (or any coding). I just prefer IDEs for compiled languages.

Celtic Minstrel

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2013, 04:26:44 pm »
I usually use XCode 4 for C++ projects, Eclipse for Java projects, and a text editor (specifically TextWrangler) for everything else. I'd say my favourite is definitely XCode.

I used Visual Studio back in ... 2004/5 or so? I think it might've been VS7, not sure. I'd say it was pretty good  then; I've no idea what it's like now. I'd probably go with Code::Blocks when developing on Windows though, mainly because it's free. I tried it on Mac once, but it was literally unstable (kept crashing), so I'm not actually sure what it's like in practice.

Veltas

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2013, 11:53:02 pm »
Well I use a plain text editor. It formats and colour-codes the text, has all usual text editor stuff, and it's mainly gedit on GNU/Linux and Notepad++ on Windows.

Project management, code completion, error checking while you write, and automated building with multiple build profiles. These are the advantages I see IDEs as having.

Project management isn't really necessary, I use a solid directory structure and store my project in a git repository.
Code completion would be nice (in fact there are plugins for it) but I've never cared enough to get it.
Error checking while you write is irritating and I'd turn it off. I've become very good at figuring out compiler and linker errors so I have little use for this.
Build management is great, but I am fine with a Makefile right now and will be fine with CMake or something if pushed to it.

I've noticed that people want to mention GNU/Linux as an IDE. It almost is, as what I describe (give or take the editor) is how most people on GNU/Linux manage projects. Still though, I think the 'plain text editor' option applies to these people.
< veltas> MJBrune: Debian GNU/Linux
* MJBrune mounts veltas

Kojay

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2013, 12:30:02 pm »
Qt creator on linux (and used it on windows a bit before that)

• debuggers (either gdb or microsoft's one on windows) integrate very well, breakpoints are a given, can check values at any level on the stack
• the usual, auto complete, refactoring, jumping to definition
• customize code style,  syntax highlighting
• easy and full control of the build and run environments
• version control integrated, a git commit is a shortcut away, managing branches etc
• can use either qmake or cmake
• valgrind can also be run from within (though I 'm used to running that from the terminal)

No more hiccups than I had with visual studio.

WaiHak

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2013, 12:56:11 pm »

1 picture is worth 1000 words

Lo-X

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2013, 03:32:22 pm »
1 picture is worth 1000 words

Perhaps to visual studio users, but as a Linux (and not Visual) user, I do not see any differences jumping to my eye with QtCreator. Can you add some more comments ?

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2013, 03:54:24 pm »
Perhaps to visual studio users, but as a Linux (and not Visual) user, I do not see any differences jumping to my eye with QtCreator. Can you add some more comments ?
Not sure, but I think he just wanted to communicate that he's using Visual Studio (with big green boxes). ;D
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

ChronicRat

• C++ programmer
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2013, 04:31:23 pm »
he's using Visual Studio (with big green boxes). ;D
:)
And he's using int instead of size_t. =)

MorleyDev

• "It is not enough for code to work."
    • View Profile
    • http://www.morleydev.co.uk/
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2013, 06:29:13 pm »
If we're going pictures, what Visual Studio has going for it over all other C++ IDEs at the moment for me is summed up in this picture:

It's a plugin, true (actually I use two for C++) but none-the-less that I can put the cursor over graphics::Texture and hit Alt+Enter and have that appear is nice...Are there any other C++ IDEs that offer this kind of thing, but perhaps have better C++11 support (the plugin doesn't recognise Variadics yet)?

I know a lot of code completion works via Clang nowadays, any refactoring tools leveraged that yet?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 06:32:20 pm by MorleyDev »
UnitTest11 - A unit testing library in C++ written to take advantage of C++11.

All code is guilty until proven innocent, unworthy until tested, and pointless without singular and well-defined purpose.

anything