Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: [Updated 21/12/13] Dirty Spatula in Vegas - Alpha-2  (Read 5783 times)

datMoka

• Wooo!
    • View Profile
[Updated 21/12/13] Dirty Spatula in Vegas - Alpha-2
« on: December 12, 2013, 01:10:38 am »
Dirty Spatula in Vegas

New update[21/12/13]! Alpha-2 is out!

About
Hey all! After finally pursuing a project that doesn't have a ridiculous scope, I present to you the Tower Defence game I'm making with a colleague: Dirty Spatula in Vegas!

This is the first proper build of the game as we set ourselves some goals that we wanted to achieve in order to do an initial release so it's very non-user friendly so I would absolutely recommend that new players read the Read Me file! It has controls, bits of information and the currently known bugs.

Obviously it will be very boring at the moment as the game is only balanced up to around wave 4-5 so due to the lack of enemies (progression) you get to a point where you're killing them all at a set point. We do have a long way to go but we've really wanted to show off progress so this is the first playable (lives, gold, waves) build we've strived for.

We hope you enjoy it!

Media

Screenshot from Alpha-1
link incase the picture doesn't work

Downloads

Current version: DSIV_Alpha-2

Last version: DSIV_Alpha-1
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 01:41:03 am by datMoka »

AlexAUT

• View Profile
Re: [Tower Defence] Dirty Spatula in Vegas first version
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 01:33:38 am »
Good work keep it up!

I really like that you haven't used asstes from other games (if so, you've choosen the wrong games to steal assets.  8) )

Some ideas:
  • Maybe give the tower a max. rotation speed, so they can't instantly switch targets
  • Tower can't shoot through other towers
  • Add a possibility that the tower will miss the target (I miss this "feature" in this genre)

AlexAUT

datMoka

• Wooo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 01:53:31 am »
Good work keep it up!

I really like that you haven't used asstes from other games (if so, you've choosen the wrong games to steal assets.  8) )

We decided to make the textures ourselves, thought it would give it more of a personal touch rather than finding some nice already made textures :)

Some ideas:
  • Maybe give the tower a max. rotation speed, so they can't instantly switch targets
  • Tower can't shoot through other towers
  • Add a possibility that the tower will miss the target (I miss this "feature" in this genre)

AlexAUT

Cheers for the suggestions! Out of those three I'd say the third one is something that I could see in this game but would probably have to wait until I've put health bars over the enemies. With a tower defence game I don't think your second suggestion is really that feasible; maybe instead some towers might need more than one tiles space or something.

Thanks for the feedback and for playing! :D

AlexAUT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 02:02:36 am »
With a tower defence game I don't think your second suggestion is really that feasible.

Yeah it depends on the game you want to create.

If I would make such a game i would seperate the offensive towers into 2groups.
1: Can't shoot through other towers, short range (e.g. a Gatling gun)
2: Can shoot over other towers, long range. (e.g. Rockets)

But I can understand that you have different ideas how the game should work. :)

AlexAUT

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 02:42:22 am »
I agree with AlexAUT in his suggestions except for the second item. I don't think it makes sense to occlude towers with towers. My reasoning for this is that the board is fixed most of the time, as in, unless you're placing new stuff, the same turrets won't fire at the exact same points by occlusion.

This is really undesirable because it will reduce the damage dealt by a constant amount every wave. If this is what you want, just reduce the base damage of turrets and achieve the same. This would only make sense, in my opinion, where placing turrets was a crucial part of the strategy and you couldn't just swarm all the borders in turrets, like you usually can in the genre.

Anyway, keep it going, good job so far :D

datMoka

• Wooo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 04:50:31 am »
This would only make sense, in my opinion, where placing turrets was a crucial part of the strategy and you couldn't just swarm all the borders in turrets, like you usually can in the genre.

Anyway, keep it going, good job so far :D

Cheers :) We plan to make it quite tactical with different towers doing more damage to different enemies; so in the future it will show what will spawn the next wave so you need to build tactically, not just place something and forget about it and generally just mass horde turrets to win.

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 06:28:44 am »
Just a tip, polish the game from the start! It will be easier and will impress people more :D

Think about using the following development style:
1. Implement one new feature
2. Polish it until it looks releasable and final
3. Repeat

Like this, every iteration consists of a playable game with growing quality but always a good game! :)

datMoka

• Wooo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 06:36:34 pm »
Just a tip, polish the game from the start! It will be easier and will impress people more :D

Think about using the following development style:
1. Implement one new feature
2. Polish it until it looks releasable and final
3. Repeat

Like this, every iteration consists of a playable game with growing quality but always a good game! :)

Good idea! I reckon we'll polish what we have here before adding more stuff then.

nebula

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 06:53:59 pm »
hey :D i will test it as soon as i can. can u tell me in what language you're programming and the dependences? just personal interest :P

datMoka

• Wooo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 06:57:31 pm »
hey :D i will test it as soon as i can. can u tell me in what language you're programming and the dependences? just personal interest :P

It's in C++ and obviously SFML :) Unless I'm misinterpreting what you mean by dependences, we have none.

nebula

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 07:01:55 pm »
that was exactly what i meant :D sry i am not well enough known to english :P

datMoka

• Wooo!
    • View Profile
Re: [Updated 21/12/13] Dirty Spatula in Vegas - Alpha-2
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 01:47:16 am »
Alpha-2 is out! Download link has also been added to the OP.

Changelog:
- Menu working: Able to launch six different levels.
- Improved upon the user-friendliness with new UI
- Tutorial option on the menu gives the basic rules and how to play the game
- Added (quite badly made) music - Will most likely loop a song every now and then as only three have been added
- Behind the scene tweaks getting ready for Alpha-3 features!

Enjoy :)