Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Is it possible to get a profesion of a programmer without a diploma?  (Read 8128 times)

Mark

Hello guys, I wanted to introduce myself and ask for one life advice from much more intelligent and experienced people like you  :)
  • My name is Mark Miller (the real one is Marius Macijauskas, but I guess the former one sounds much more natural for the rest of the world  :D)
  • I'm a 16 years old teen from Lithuania (a small European country near Baltic Sea, famous by it's basketball players and stuff...)
  • I am sick of school and my controlling parents. I mean, like really, really sick of them...
All I want is freedom and a job I'd like to work, even if I'd get a minimum wage (actually, I would be satisfied by any amount of money that would let me survive). And I want that ASAP. You don't event imagine how much do I hate the situation I'm in right now. You might think I'm crazy and most probably I am, but...
  • a valuable programming experience...
  • a right to code after midnight...
  • a right to dismiss the subjects that waste my time because I don't really need them and I hate them (more or less everything but maths, physics and IT)...
  • my own place and privacy...
  • an opportunity to find new friends and change the living environment (not like the douchebags in this provincial school, only interested in alcohol, tobaco, weed, muscles, boobs and booties)...
  • an opportunity to learn English better than ever (I guess I could only get such a job in UK or USA, considering the fact I can only speak Lithuanian and English, and I don't think there are any chances for me in my country)
has a much greater value for me than a comfortable living with strict parents that make me keep the average of marks of ALL subjects (even the most worthless ones for me, like arts and sports!) above 9.8, and if I fail they confiscate my laptop I bought for my own money for DAYS! They steal my laptop at night too, so I would be sleeping and wouldn't be able to code (sleep, school, karate and homeworks added-up eat a terrible amount of time).

So, is there a chance for me to get a job as a programmer without a diploma? Could my recommendations be my programs I'd create since now? I promise I'd sacrifice all my freetime for coding because I love it. And what would I need if the answer would be yes? I don't think that C++, SFML and STL would me enough... What more I should look up? OpenGL? Qt maybe? Multithreading?

Of course, I don't imagine myself working that job for the rest of my life. It's just for a couple of years, until I get enough experience to start my own indie games business or something like that...

And maybe there are opportunities for programmers to code online? Other ideas and solutions?
I would be very thankful for every opinion of yours. Help me decide my future :)

By the way, how did you became a programmer?  ;)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 01:21:15 pm by Mark »

Lo-X

• View Profile
    • My personal website, with CV, portfolio and projects
Re: Is it possible to get a profesion of a programmer without a diploma?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 01:32:54 pm »
I don't think you could work for any game company at 18 without diploma, because it's already very hard to work there with experience and/or diploma.

I would advise you to find some programming school, even if you already know a lot, it helped me to go further on some points, discover new things, etc...

What you absolutely need is experience, so never stop to make games, programs, stuff you will be able to get out of you magic hat someday and that will make the difference between you and some random bachelor guy with no experience in video game programming.

In France, Ubisoft only take two or three programmers for an internship each year and a lot less to hire and they expect an engineer degree. (Dunno the exact situation in other countries, but I think that pretty similar)

Mark

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 01:42:50 pm »
Yeah, so I guess that the only way to making a living from programming without a diploma is your own little indie game company ;D I'd like to "find some programming school", even though I rather teach myself independently from the material on the internet, but I think I will try to take a shot for my own skills before signing in :) Most probably I'm going to go bankrupt and I'll just get the diploma later, but... who knows  ::)

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 01:58:41 pm »
Yes. You can find a job as a programmer as long as you have the skills for it. Is it easy? Probably not, but it is indeed possible!

Of course you need to start by junior job positions and grow up from there in experience. It also depends on what kind of programming you will be doing.. But indeed it happened to me and to people I know, so its doable, depending on where you are and what you know..

Lo-X

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 02:02:21 pm »
Yeah, so I guess that the only way to making a living from programming without a diploma is your own little indie game company ;D I'd like to "find some programming school", even though I rather teach myself independently from the material on the internet, but I think I will try to take a shot for my own skills before signing in :) Most probably I'm going to go bankrupt and I'll just get the diploma later, but... who knows  ::)

Don't think you can learn absolutely everything from the internet : you can't.
I had a lot of C++ knowledge when I entered mine, I still learned a lot of useful things, especially about networking, multithreading, UML, and even about things I thought I knew well.

Internet will never replace a competent guy stanting in front of you that can see where you're good and where you're not. And it's hard to know for sure where you're not ok by yourself.

That was my 2 cents

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 02:15:54 pm »
It is however possible to learn computer science with online courses and materials, as well as good books, sample code and healthy brainstorms about the topic with a community!

University education level knowledge can be obtained in a self-taught way, even though the path to it may become longer than having some tutoring in an adequate institution.

Other than that, many of the skill required for advanced jobs doesn't come from the university anyway, you usually get it from other means. However, people have a hard time learning physics / math by themselves, and this is essential for computing, especially games. This is where you really should take an official education path.

zsbzsb

• Active Maintainer of CSFML/SFML.NET
    • View Profile
    • My little corner...
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 02:22:38 pm »
There is always a chance of landing a job without a diploma, but as others have said you need to have skills.

Not to sound harsh, but I think you have a ways to go before you have enough skills to land a job. For example in your post here you said that the collision detection code was hard to understand. Well out in the world you will see a lot more crappy code / hard to understand stuff than that. And your employer will expect you to understand it. I'm not saying give up and that it is impossible to get for you to make it in life without a diploma, but sometimes it is easier to follow the system than trying to go around the system.  ;)

And maybe there are opportunities for programmers to code online? Other ideas and solutions?

Google around, there are sites out there where programmers can offer themselves for hire. But your better off going to a university and getting an intern position.  ;)

I am sick of school and my controlling parents. I mean, like really, really sick of them...

Alright, you are entitled to your opinion. But I think you should consider everything you will end up paying for once you get out on your own. Far from a definitive list... clothes, food, rent, gas, insurance, monthly bills (internet, electric, water, phone, tv, ect...). I'm not sure you realize how much your parents are actually helping you and trying set you in the right path.

I promise I'd sacrifice all my freetime for coding because I love it. And what would I need if the answer would be yes? I don't think that C++, SFML and STL would me enough... What more I should look up? OpenGL? Qt maybe? Multithreading?

Getting a job isn't (for the most part) knowing a specific library or specific language. It is more of the concepts behind coding (logic thinking, problem solving, data handling, ect...). With good skills you should be able to pickup any language or library and get going with it in just a few hours. That is why employers mainly look for people with experience under their belt.

Oh and if you want to test your aptitude for coding / problem solving take a look at facebook's test. It should give you an idea where you stand.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 02:34:28 pm by zsbzsb »
Motion / MotionNET - Complete video / audio playback for SFML / SFML.NET

NetEXT - An SFML.NET Extension Library based on Thor

SHIROKAGE

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 02:44:52 pm »
Hi Marius,

I wanted to take the time to respond to your post (it's my first one on these forums, but I've been a lurker for a few years but felt your questions were important enough to speak up) and hopefully give you some insight from someone who has been working as a software engineer here in the US for the past 10 years in the simulation and game development industries.

First off, please understand I'll never claim to know everything nor do I think anyone should ever stop learning and take my advice for what it is - some random-guy-with-a-bit-of-experience's words on an internet forum.

• My name is Mark Miller (the real one is Marius Macijauskas, but I guess the former one sounds much more natural for the rest of the world  :D)

Please don't try to change who you are on the account of everyone else. There are enough people in this world who try to be just like everyone else. Be an individual. Be proud of the name you were given and who you are. Don't change it just because someone may not pronounce it properly or is unfamiliar with it. Don't ever tailor yourself to fit in with other individual's ignorance or myopic view of the world, because at the end of the day, you're just lowering yourself to their standards.

All I want is freedom and a job I'd like to work, even if I'd get a minimum wage (actually, I would be satisfied by any amount of money that would let me survive). And I want that ASAP. You don't event imagine how much do I hate the situation I'm in right now. You might think I'm crazy and most probably I am, but...

I remember thinking almost the exact same thing when I was close to your age. And now at the age I am now (almost twice as old), I look back wishing I had spent more time doing the things typical people of that age did. Be happy you don't have to work yet and have your parents to help support you. All parents suck but keep in mind that they are doing what they feel is best for you. Remember that they have a few more years of experience on this planet than you do and they are most likely trying to keep you from repeating their mistakes ;).

Also keep this in mind that the working environment sucks for 99% of the world. Theoretically, you may be doing what you love to do, writing code, but it will never be _your_ code that you write when you're working for someone else. It's always _their_ code. It may be satisfying to solve difficult problems for the company you work for and feel accomplishment when you do, but at the end of the day, you work to their standards and specifications and you never get to choose what you work on. And the majority of my job, unfortunately, is not writing code, it's designing systems and creating documentation artifacts to demonstrate how that system works to a team of individuals that work with you to build what was designed. In my industry, nearly 60-70% of the time is spent on front end analysis and design and only 30-40% is spent actually coding (far less on projects that rely on previously written libraries). I can't think of any companies in my industry where this is any different.

Working at a game development company is a little bit different. There's not as much documentation and design involved (depends on the studio of course) and much less structure than formal software engineering companies. This has greatly changed in the past 10 years or so where now game development companies are starting to move more towards formal software engineering practices rather than "cowboy coding" and "shooting from the hip" so to speak.

Also keep in mind that game development companies are beholden to their publishers who invest vast sums of money for a game that they have ultimate creative control over. In this environment, your work is even further removed from your control in that now your boss's bosses have bosses who exert their "creative influences" into a design for better or worse  :). At the end of the day, the person actually writing the code has very little say in what gets written.

Going back to what companies look for in potential employees, my experience in the game development industry is pretty much the same. Again, a more well-rounded individual will get the job over someone who only has a narrow focus on their learning. And here's the major problem with working in the game development industry - everyone is a replaceable commodity. EVERYONE. One person leaves and there are a hundred more willing to take their place. Everyone has dreams of creating video games but the reality of actually doing it is pretty horrible. Game development employers expect you to give 100% of your life and energy into creating _their_ game for very little compensation or commendation. If you're unwilling or can't keep up, again, you are replaceable and 100 more people are standing in line behind you to take your place. Don't have a degree? That's ok. There are 100 more behind you that do. This highly desirable competitive environment is how you can get individuals with doctorates and many years of experience working entry level positions for 80 hours a week for not much pay just because they have zero experience working in the game industry. Let me tell you, it's not fun or enjoyable.

And that's what it really boils down to - the working world and life in general is a competitive market where you try to sell yourself and your abilities for the highest bid you can, to do work for something you'll never own yourself. Limiting yourself to only learning computer related subjects really inhibits the industries you can work in and what companies you can work for. Take my advice in that you may not enjoy learning about other subjects (I wasn't fond of them either), but take the approach that it only makes you much more competitive in this competition called "life".

A higher education degree is paramount to obtaining a job in any software related industry. From my experience working in the simulation industry, you need to be familiar with software engineering practices and not just be able to program software to even get a entry level position. You need to understand the engineering process and be able to communicate ideas effectively to other people and be able to document everything you do. This is where a higher education degree and peripheral school subjects come into play. You may only be interested in learning how to program or computer related subjects at this time, but focusing only on those subjects narrows down your abilities which is not desirable when working in either industry. Companies look for individuals who are well rounded and can be tasked with many other things than just sitting down and writing code.

Another word of advice would be to find a well developed open source project you're interested in and offer to contribute. Learn the code base and how to work with other individuals in a single development environment. That's how I started out. I demonstrated my willingness to learn and had great mentorship on a project I really enjoyed learning to develop on.

Whatever you choose to do please keep this in mind. I can't tell you how many people we've hired at the companies straight out of college I've worked for that had no idea how to properly work with other individuals using a content management system. The good ones were the people who already understood how to work with a team of developers and didn't take several months to figure out why blindly committing to SVN or git is a bad idea. Stuff like that isn't generally taught in schools so it isn't just about obtaining a degree either. The strongest individuals in my field are the ones who put in the time to learn the basics as well as many other subjects and have a true desire to continue learning and growing. Having only book smarts or only desire to program is not enough to truly be successful in these industries - you need both.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 02:52:49 pm by SHIROKAGE »

Mark

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 04:25:39 pm »
First, I want to thank you all for the dedicated time, shared experience, knowledge and different advices, opinions you gave me. I didn't expect that so many people will give so much devotion to my question. This forum is just swarming with honest, kind-hearted people. Actually, almost every programmer or hardware tech guy I've been communicating with on the internet was this awesome. I don't know why, maybe it's just a global trait in our profession or I'm just living surrounded by wrong people. I'm eager to work in a team, I think it should feel totally amazing. I tried to show initiative in school to some guys that said they knew photoshop but few days later they told me they don't work on pixels. Obviously, they expected me to make something like a Quake or GTA. And I'm not really sure how could I find a coding/graphics/any project partner on the internet, how and when (timezones, eh?) we would connect and discuss the thing we would create. Maybe I need some more experience before entering the arena ;D Anyways, thank you. Now I will take some time to respond to all of your thoughts.
Please don't try to change who you are on the account of everyone else. There are enough people in this world who try to be just like everyone else. Be an individual. Be proud of the name you were given and who you are. Don't change it just because someone may not pronounce it properly or is unfamiliar with it. Don't ever tailor yourself to fit in with other individual's ignorance or myopic view of the world, because at the end of the day, you're just lowering yourself to their standards.
I'm not changing myself on the account of everyone else. If I did, I would be already drinking alcohol, smoking and following my classmates as a dog. It's quite opposite - I blow against the wind and keep neglecting their priorities and virtues. They have no power to change my character and beliefs. For example, I am an open atheist, even though it's against to the whole system. My new name is a part of me - I decided to change it because I wanted to. Yes, now it may sound that it was because it's difficult pronounce for the others, but I know that in the future it will cause problems to me too! I am almost sure I won't be living here, in Lithuania. I dream to live in an English-tongued country. There, this new name will help me to blend in and feel native faster. Secondly, it shows my beliefs. I can say without any fear - I am no patriot. I am a cosmopolitan. If my country will be an aggressor I won't go to it's side, I may even go against it. Because I look at the world as a land of people with global problems and perspectives, not as a ripped pieces, each looking for their own good. Therefor, my name has to be global too - understood and natural for the most of the people in the world.
I don't think you could work for any game company at 18 without diploma, because it's already very hard to work there with experience and/or diploma.
Yes. You can find a job as a programmer as long as you have the skills for it. Is it easy? Probably not, but it is indeed possible!
There is always a chance of landing a job without a diploma, but as others have said you need to have skills.
&&
Don't think you can learn absolutely everything from the internet : you can't.
It is however possible to learn computer science with online courses and materials, as well as good books, sample code and healthy brainstorms about the topic with a community!
University education level knowledge can be obtained in a self-taught way, even though the path to it may become longer than having some tutoring in an adequate institution.
&&
What you absolutely need is experience, so never stop to make games, programs, stuff you will be able to get out of you magic hat someday and that will make the difference between you and some random bachelor guy with no experience in video game programming.
I love different opinions! Those let you know the best arguments for each side and you can find something in common, that means, something stated by all and most likely to be true in them! So I did here.
  • I may or may not find a job without a diploma. It all depends on the country you're living in, the economy, your skills and, of course, luck. And there is no real answer - it's risky, it's probably not going to work, but who knows? But there's one for sure - if one is creating his own business, diploma doesn't matter - all that is important is his/her skills.
  • There are things you can't learn on the internet. But the internet may be enough to provide you with enough resources to fit for a job, and you can get the rest of the lessons later... Anyways, a good education institution can't be a bad shot.
  • Whenever, wherever, your skills are the most important thing. You have to practice. You have to code. You have to advance and improve yourself. That is mandatory. You must learn! I get it and I'll try to improve my skills as much as possible since right now.
Not to sound harsh, but I think you have a ways to go before you have enough skills to land a job. For example in your post here you said that the collision detection code was hard to understand. Well out in the world you will see a lot more crappy code / hard to understand stuff than that. And your employer will expect you to understand it. I'm not saying give up and that it is impossible to get for you to make it in life without a diploma, but sometimes it is easier to follow the system than trying to go around the system.  ;)

Ha, not to sound harsh  ;D [/quite]I know that I need to climb mountains to get the required skills, I am very new to programming, but I will do my best from now on :) And by the way, I said that it seems to be difficult, but I didn't actually read the code. I just searched for a quick few-lines solution, and apparently, there isn't one like that. Give me time and I will implement my own algorithm, without using that code snippet. I already know how to check alpha channels and made some nice working rounded buttons, and that is a step to the collision detection.
Google around, there are sites out there where programmers can offer themselves for hire. But your better off going to a university and getting an intern position.  ;)
I am happy there are opportunities! Though it will be really useful only when I'll learn a bit more, because right now I definitely lack skills but later, I'll have this in mind! Thanks!
I am sick of school and my controlling parents. I mean, like really, really sick of them...

Alright, you are entitled to your opinion. But I think you should consider everything you will end up paying for once you get out on your own. Far from a definitive list... clothes, food, rent, gas, insurance, monthly bills (internet, electric, water, phone, tv, ect...). I'm not sure you realize how much your parents are actually helping you and trying set you in the right path.
wowow, I don't expect to live like a king after I leave them ;D Gas? What gas? You think I'll have a car? You think I'll be changing clothes very often? Or renting a luxurious flat? And wait, a TV? Why do I need a TV when I've got all in one, my 350$ laptop? I understand the help of my parents and I am thankful for them. When I said I am sick of them I didn't want to say I hate the or something like that. I just want to try to live on my own. A worse life. A poor life. But, a free life. I meant I am sick of that good, nice, yet locked life...
I promise I'd sacrifice all my freetime for coding because I love it. And what would I need if the answer would be yes? I don't think that C++, SFML and STL would me enough... What more I should look up? OpenGL? Qt maybe? Multithreading?
Getting a job isn't (for the most part) knowing a specific library or specific language. It is more of the concepts behind coding (logic thinking, problem solving, data handling, ect...). With good skills you should be able to pickup any language or library and get going with it in just a few hours. That is why employers mainly look for people with experience under their belt.
I'll have this in mind.
Oh and if you want to test your aptitude for coding / problem solving take a look at facebook's test. It should give you an idea where you stand.
I will definitely try it! Only a little bit later. Because I know that now my results won't be very surprising  ;D I'll try it just after the holidays end, because these holidays will be all dedicated for programming, so I could achieve much better results after them :D I think that repetitive test trying (now and later) would spoil the results, because I would know some answers from the last time...
I remember thinking almost the exact same thing when I was close to your age. And now at the age I am now (almost twice as old), I look back wishing I had spent more time doing the things typical people of that age did. Be happy you don't have to work yet and have your parents to help support you.
I am happy to know there were (and are) people that thought (and think) just like me. But I'm not sure I should be happy I'm not working yet. That's like avoiding responsibility. Trying to prolong the easy part of life. But if I worked harder earlier, wouldn't it be easier earlier too?
All parents suck but keep in mind that they are doing what they feel is best for you. Remember that they have a few more years of experience on this planet than you do and they are most likely trying to keep you from repeating their mistakes ;).
Well, I know some parents that don't suck so much ;D They seem to give more freedom to their kids (well, they aren't using it to do the right things, like learning what they like to), but maybe it's just because the grass is always greener on the other side :) But do they really try to keep me from repeating their mistakes or they just follow the system? I see too many things that are totally bad in the system (especially in educational, because it's the one I meet the most), and I don't trust it because of it. There are so many ways the educational system could be drastically improved but nobody there, higher, seem to give a damn about it.
Also keep this in mind that the working environment sucks for 99% of the world.
Then the world is obviously missing the course. And I don't think the numbers are that big. I think that almost many people that created their own business are happy about their choice and job. Rarer case between the employed ones, as they are not bosses to themselves, but still, there should be things they like. And yes, I understand that there will be many things I won't like, but again, it should be temporary, until I build up grounds for myself. Then I will try to create my own little indie game company and give 100% of myself.
And that's what it really boils down to - the working world and life in general is a competitive market where you try to sell yourself and your abilities for the highest bid you can, to do work for something you'll never own yourself. Limiting yourself to only learning computer related subjects really inhibits the industries you can work in and what companies you can work for. Take my advice in that you may not enjoy learning about other subjects (I wasn't fond of them either), but take the approach that it only makes you much more competitive in this competition called "life".
Well, that's when there's an overflow of the workers of that profession. You described that as a monopoly of employers. But I've heard things are little different at least here, in Lithuania. The whole class of programmers just finished their university course was grabbed out immediatly. And I've heard that the there is a lack and need of programmers not only in Lithuania. Are you really sure there will be 100 people that will stand in line of another programmer? Is there such an overflow of us? Not contrary? And I think that lines to McDonalds cashier positions are longer :D

Huh, that was a lot of typing. I know I've did a hell lot of mistakes... Sorry. I think I should just practice programming until 18 (no better options?), maybe try some communal programming online (maybe someone has tried it? How to start it?) and then the things will get more clear as I'll know my capabilities better.

And SHIROKAGE, I wanted to thank you once more - I've never seen a such big, helpful and informative post :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 07:41:44 pm by Mark »

Grimshaw

• Nephilim SDK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 06:51:00 pm »
" I tried to show initiative in school to some guys that said the knew photoshop but few days later they told me they don't work on pixels." HILARIOUSLY IRONIC

SHIROKAGE

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 07:08:21 pm »
And SHIROKAGE, I wanted to thank you once more - I've never seen a such big, helpful and informative post :)

Not a problem and you're welcome. Thanks for spending the time reading and responding :).

I'm not sure if you're familiar with Coursera or not but they offer online courses in tons of different subjects. The material is written by some of the top notch professors at some of the top schools in the world.

Their website is here:
https://www.coursera.org/

They offer many different types of classes on lots of different subjects. Best of all, it's free! They offer a more guided and structured approach to learning with a set course of materials that I generally find more useful than trying to tackle something completely new on my own. Some of the classes have interactive portions where you can talk to fellow students and get guidance from more experienced people as well.

MIT also has their Open Courseware initiative that contains a ton of classes of varying subjects posted entirely online:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/

I really wish courses like this were offered for free back when I was in high school :).

Those are a few examples of coursework offered for free online involving computer science. If that's something you decide you're interested in doing, I would suggest sticking with publications from major universities. The reason being is that there's a wealth of good information out there on computer science and programming in general but there are also tutorials and instructions that will, with good intentions of course, teach you bad habits that will be hard to break or just generally wrong ways of doing things. It's difficult to know the difference between the two especially when you're first starting out without much experience. The material provided by major universities are generally well accepted and generally the "right" way to do things (depending on who you talk to and which decade they learned to program) :).

From my years of lurking, I've noticed there's a good collection of people on these forums that know what they're doing as well and willing to help with questions as long as you put forth the effort to attempt to figure it out yourself first. They are more than capable of steering you in the right direction if you seem to get off course.

ChronicRat

• C++ programmer
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 07:17:54 pm »
I have no any diploma, just usual school and Russian army that is all my education. But i'm a programmer, i worked in Wargaming.NET (World of Tanks creator) for three years and now i'm working for myself. Но если ты хочешь стать инженером или хирургом, то конечно лучше поучиться. =)

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 09:04:11 pm »
Something that people often forget, is that a university degree doesn't just express skills in a specific field like computer science. It also proves that you're doing a lot of things you don't like (such as the "irrelevant" subjects you mentioned), and you have the motivation and discipline to sacrifice a lot of time for questionable tasks whose purpose is not immediately clear. Furthermore, you sometimes have to work together with difficult people and advertise own projects to people such as professors. You may also acquire teaching experience (in many universities, students are employed for exercise sessions), and you get insights into the scientific world and research. These are all skills that can prove very valuable when you start working.

Another thing to consider is that a lot of people who are already in the industry for several years, but without a degree, may create a misleading impression. A decade ago, there was a huge demand for IT people, which allowed a lot of newcomers to start a career. Today, not only more people are choosing an IT-related education, but there is also a large amount of people who do things like webdevelopment, webdesign, networking, etc. in their free time and acquire additional knowledge by doing so. A university alone often doesn't teach these concepts very deeply, you have to bring additional motivation on your own.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

Lo-X

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 02:01:29 am »
I agree with Nexus. I've also learnt some useful mathematics in university, like probabilities that I often need in programming. But that's just an example.

And even if the internet can bring you a lot to learn in computing, I still think it doesn't bring you all. Plus it's untrue to say that you get equal skills from self-teatching just because of every courses you get in university (maths, economics, project management, theorical cryptography, etc.) that you often learn by yourself because you think it's irrelevant : it is not to a recruiter that will se that you are more flexible or already have some company economics knowledge.

At least it's how it happens in France so I think I can extend the logic to most EU.

Mark

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 06:32:55 pm »
" I tried to show initiative in school to some guys that said the knew photoshop but few days later they told me they don't work on pixels." HILARIOUSLY IRONIC
Well, they meant they don't work on small, fixed size pictures, but yes, that's ironic indeed :)
https://www.coursera.org/
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/
Those are a few examples of coursework offered for free online involving computer science. If that's something you decide you're interested in doing, I would suggest sticking with publications from major universities. The reason being is that there's a wealth of good information out there on computer science and programming in general but there are also tutorials and instructions that will, with good intentions of course, teach you bad habits that will be hard to break or just generally wrong ways of doing things. It's difficult to know the difference between the two especially when you're first starting out without much experience. The material provided by major universities are generally well accepted and generally the "right" way to do things (depending on who you talk to and which decade they learned to program) :).
I've never thought sites like these existed on the internet - I always searched for information in various sites found by Google and in YouTube. I'd have understood how computers work so much faster if I knew these links before, and now they're going to provide me so much information to expand my current knowledge - thanks! But now I'm going to stick with these books for awhile so that I wouldn't be jumping from one place to another too much:
  • Jumping into C++ by Alex Allain
  • SFML Game Development by Artur Moreira, Jan Haller and Henrik Vogelius Hansson (not bought yet, but I'm going to do that very soon, probably tomorrow)
I'm believe they use the "right" way to explain the topics :)
From my years of lurking, I've noticed there's a good collection of people on these forums that know what they're doing as well and willing to help with questions as long as you put forth the effort to attempt to figure it out yourself first. They are more than capable of steering you in the right direction if you seem to get off course.
I've noticed that too!
Something that people often forget, is that a university degree doesn't just express skills in a specific field like computer science. It also proves that you're doing a lot of things you don't like (such as the "irrelevant" subjects you mentioned), and you have the motivation and discipline to sacrifice a lot of time for questionable tasks whose purpose is not immediately clear. Furthermore, you sometimes have to work together with difficult people and advertise own projects to people such as professors. You may also acquire teaching experience (in many universities, students are employed for exercise sessions), and you get insights into the scientific world and research. These are all skills that can prove very valuable when you start working.

Another thing to consider is that a lot of people who are already in the industry for several years, but without a degree, may create a misleading impression. A decade ago, there was a huge demand for IT people, which allowed a lot of newcomers to start a career. Today, not only more people are choosing an IT-related education, but there is also a large amount of people who do things like webdevelopment, webdesign, networking, etc. in their free time and acquire additional knowledge by doing so. A university alone often doesn't teach these concepts very deeply, you have to bring additional motivation on your own.
I agree with Nexus. I've also learnt some useful mathematics in university, like probabilities that I often need in programming. But that's just an example.

And even if the internet can bring you a lot to learn in computing, I still think it doesn't bring you all. Plus it's untrue to say that you get equal skills from self-teatching just because of every courses you get in university (maths, economics, project management, theorical cryptography, etc.) that you often learn by yourself because you think it's irrelevant : it is not to a recruiter that will se that you are more flexible or already have some company economics knowledge.

At least it's how it happens in France so I think I can extend the logic to most EU.
Okay, y'all have convinced me. Plus, there are more freedom in the university, because you are less controlled, live apart from parents, manage your own finances, etc...
Но если ты хочешь стать инженером или хирургом, то конечно лучше поучиться. =)
Я очень хорошо знаю, что хочу стать только программистом :)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 07:02:45 pm by Mark »