Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Searching for music compositor software  (Read 4703 times)

math1992

• View Profile
    • Email
Searching for music compositor software
« on: January 31, 2014, 04:08:32 am »
Hi, I am actually using a midi compositor program, named midiSwing, which is a very basic program to write music to the format .mid (I convert it afterward in .wav). However, this software works better with a midi board, which I do not have and I do not really want to pay for one.

So, I am wondering is there other music compositor software that can simplify my life to create music? Of course, I am searching for a totally free software and without the famous 30 days trial.

Thanks for your answer.

Tuffywub

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Searching for music compositor software
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 04:26:25 am »
LMMS is a great free music making program. I personally have Ableton Live, but I used to use LMMS, and it is great for being free.

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
AW: Searching for music compositor software
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 08:20:40 am »
For about any music composing software out there, you'd be better off with an MIDI input device. ;)

What kind of music are you the trying to create?
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/

pdinklag

• JSFML Developer
    • View Profile
    • JSFML Website
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 09:00:09 am »
The kind of music should be completely independent of the sequencer used. LMMS is the closest you can get to a professional tool for free as far as I know. To sum up the bad news: as a music producer you'll have a hard time doing things without spending any money - at least if you want some convenience.

If you are willing to spend at least a little money, go for FL Studio. The (still pretty common) rumor that it's a child's toy which can't be used to professionally produce music have been false for years by now. It's extremely powerful, yet relatively simple to use compared to Cubase, Logic and the likes. I will recommend it! However, it's not really useful for live performances at all.

Depending on how you are going to make music, you should also get a MIDI device after all. I personally use a hardware knob and slider panel to input effect automation, it's really a lot more convenient and natural sounding than drawing curves and stuff like that (I've been there). If you are more into preparing samples and sequence them on the fly, go for Ableton and maybe a Launchpad by Novation. Both do not really have a good free/cheap replacement in the same quality.

Music production can easily become a very expensive hobby. It's a shame, but once you fall in love with it you will be ready to spend a bit of money. ;)
JSFML - The Java binding to SFML.

AncientGrief

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 09:35:13 pm »
If you are willing to spend at least a little money, go for FL Studio. The (still pretty common) rumor that it's a child's toy which can't be used to professionally produce music have been false for years by now.

I can agree to that. I use it to compose and record my Metal songs (with a real guitar and drum library!). It's easy to use, and flexible. All music styles are possible! And LMMS seems to be very similar to FLStudio ...
I grew up with C++...but then I met C#...got lazy...time to turn back to my one and only love!
My system:
Wintendo 10 with Intel i7 4770k
Palit GeForce GTX 980
16 GB RAM

thomas9459

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 01:25:27 am »
If you want to go the chiptune route, MilkyTracker is a good option too (although it doesn't really compare to professional workstations).

Hapax

• My number of posts is shown in hexadecimal.
    • View Profile
    • Links
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 08:20:32 pm »
I'm curious to know what math1992 means by
works better with a midi board
Doesn't this mean that it still works even though you don't have one? If not, what is the software not able to do without a "MIDI board"? (I'd also like to know what your definition of "midi board" too; it could be lots of things. Do you mean midi input?)
Selba Ward -SFML drawables
Cheese Map -Drawable Layered Tile Map
Kairos -Timing Library
Grambol
 *Hapaxia Links*

zsbzsb

• Active Maintainer of CSFML/SFML.NET
    • View Profile
    • My little corner...
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 08:36:24 pm »
Most likely by "midi board" he means something like this.

"works better" means it is a lot easier to actually play a song on a keyboard vs manually arranging/composing music with a GUI.
Motion / MotionNET - Complete video / audio playback for SFML / SFML.NET

NetEXT - An SFML.NET Extension Library based on Thor

math1992

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 04:54:02 am »
Sorry for not answering before, but I am very very busy with homework right now.

Most likely by "midi board" he means something like this.

Yeah this is what I mean, even if midiSwing can work with almost all of the Midi device.

"works better" means it is a lot easier to actually play a song on a keyboard vs manually arranging/composing music with a GUI.

Exactly. MidiSwing is made to record music played on a midi keyboard (I thought it was named board, sorry for the confusion  ;) ). Also, we can manually place note with the mouse.

LMMS is a great free music making program. I personally have Ableton Live, but I used to use LMMS, and it is great for being free.

Once I have the time, I will try it out.

anything