Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Sfml Question  (Read 4643 times)

lolikilu14

• View Profile
Sfml Question
« on: February 01, 2014, 07:37:47 pm »
Is Sfml good for big 2d games? I would like to make a large 2d game but I just dont know if sfml is good for big games could someone give a little advice on the matter :D

Xornand

• C++ / Python
    • View Profile
Re: Sfml Question
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 07:54:11 pm »
It depends what do you mean by "big 2D game". I think SFML is low level enough to be able to scale to any kind of 2D game.

If a big 2D game means a game with a large 2D map (possibly a tile-based one), then your code and algorithm you use to draw the map is far more important than the library.

lolikilu14

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 08:01:16 pm »
I mean a game that has alot of features and a decent amount of entities to keep track of, will having a good bit of content slow it down alot or is that less dependent on sfml and more so on C++?

Xornand

• C++ / Python
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 08:18:23 pm »
I'm not sure what do you mean by "features", you need to be more specific.

SFML doesn't implement a concept of "entities", so this is something you would need to design and create yourself. I don't know what is a "decent" amount of entities that you're talking about - and I also don't know how complex your entities would be, however, if it's something bigger than a sprite (i.e. has its own logic, process manager, responds to events etc), then it will be largely dependent on your own implementation and will have little to do with SFML. In fact, usually the only parts when it would be touching SFML would be during the drawing part and the audio-playing part (if your entities make sounds).

Drawing should be fast even with thousands of entities being drawn at once - given that you implement it properly (i.e. sending a large batch once as opposed to many small batches at different times).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 08:20:21 pm by Xornand »

lolikilu14

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 08:29:31 pm »
ok thanks for the reply and sorry for the confusion I just got done learing C++ and I guess I didnt really know what SFML was I just heard it was a great for 2d games and I was thinking it was an Engine more than a librarie, Stupid me  :P

Xornand

• C++ / Python
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 08:34:03 pm »
Don't need to apologize. Better to ask questions in advance than getting disappointed after investing a great deal of time  ;)

SFML is a general purpose media library, so it can be used for much more than games. Nevertheless it's much more low level than an engine (which is actually a feature).

lolikilu14

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 08:42:46 pm »
ok that makes alot more since! Im buying sfml game development off of amazon sadly bieng in high school were no one wants to do anything I haven't been able to find any one to code with me and I dont know anyone who is close that is an expert in C++, so being self taught to an intermediate level without help is a real accomplishment for me! I just hope I am making the right decision going into sfml.  :)

Xornand

• C++ / Python
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 09:02:19 pm »
C++ is a great choice. As for SFML, it's the cleanest C++ multimedia library that I know of - it's also being actively developed and improved upon, so definitely worth (at least) a try.

Have you tried the official tutorial? Lots of basic stuff and usage examples presented in a simple and coherent way.

lolikilu14

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 01:51:10 am »
Iv looked at some of it but I always do better with a book and being on the forum now will be good if I ever need extra help I dont know how long it will take to grasp almost all of sfml but I hope its less time then it took to learn C++ lol, and I dont know why but when ever I look on the web everyone bashes C++ no clue why though I think its great.

zsbzsb

• Active Maintainer of CSFML/SFML.NET
    • View Profile
    • My little corner...
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 02:07:17 am »
Iv looked at some of it but I always do better with a book and being on the forum now will be good if I ever need extra help I dont know how long it will take to grasp almost all of sfml but I hope its less time then it took to learn C++ lol, and I dont know why but when ever I look on the web everyone bashes C++ no clue why though I think its great.

Well for starters using some punctuation instead of one huge run on sentence will greatly improve the results you get around the internet while searching for C++ related stuff and for anyone bashing C++ they better realize that almost everything has a basis in C/C++ somewhere and that without C/C++ there would be no operating systems and you may also want to join us on SFML IRC (irc.boxbox.org #sfml) for some help with learning SFML but remember you will be expected to know the basics from the official SFML tutorials....

Now, I also hope you understand the meaning of run on sentences from the above post  ;)
Motion / MotionNET - Complete video / audio playback for SFML / SFML.NET

NetEXT - An SFML.NET Extension Library based on Thor

Assassin0795

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 05:05:05 am »
Well for starters using some punctuation instead of one huge run on sentence will greatly improve the results you get around the internet while searching for C++ related stuff and for anyone bashing C++ they better realize that almost everything has a basis in C/C++ somewhere and that without C/C++ there would be no operating systems and you may also want to join us on SFML IRC (irc.boxbox.org #sfml) for some help with learning SFML but remember you will be expected to know the basics from the official SFML tutorials....

Now, I also hope you understand the meaning of run on sentences from the above post  ;)

The fact that you used just a run-on sentence to violate the rules of grammar is driving me mad. :P

lolikilu14

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 05:05:57 am »
I know what run on sentences are. I was just tired, Extremely tired. :P

downtimes

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 12:38:50 pm »
I can appease you. C++ is very complex and therefore it takes a long time till you understand enough of it to make something work. SFML on the other hand ist "just" a library written in C++. So if you understand C++ it will be very easy to learn SFML very fast. Once you get the hang of how SFML handles Stuff you're basically done learning. Additionally the functions are all well named. So you can almost always go with your intuition and get something usefull done in no time.

lolikilu14

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 07:20:49 am »
Thanks downtimes!   :D

anything