Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Mac OS X port to be continued  (Read 57454 times)

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
Mac OS X port to be continued
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2010, 02:52:49 pm »
I'm on  holiday right now so if you need help...  :wink:
SFML / OS X developer

Recruit0

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2010, 05:56:15 am »
I hope this doesn't slow down development (and/or release of SFML2). I'm half tempted to learn Mac programming. I have access to Mac machines in our labs... new ones, not sure what's under the hood but it's there. I can at least test the library on it.

I used to use SDL a while ago, tried using it again and realized it takes a lot of work to make a program. Came across SFML and looks great. Am interested in contributing something but mostly on the Linux (Fedora)/Windows (7) c++ side.

An interesting training exercise would be to port it to BSD (unless it already works on there) although doing that solo would require more time than I have.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2010, 08:22:48 am »
An interesting training exercise would be to port it to BSD (unless it already works on there) although doing that solo would require more time than I have.

SFML should work on BSD, except for the joystick part which is a little bit different from regular Linux, and undocumented.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer

Recruit0

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2010, 06:20:01 pm »
Has anyone tested it on any of the BSDs yet? Would be interesting to see SFML match desktop support with SDL. The only thing "missing" right now is Mac support (for SFML2). Then SFML2 would support the 3 major OS's.

I mainly use Linux but being able to develop a multiplatform program is a plus ^_^

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2010, 06:31:10 pm »
Speaking of mac support, didito have you any news for us ? How are things going ? :)
SFML / OS X developer

Ceylo

• View Profile
    • http://sfemovie.yalir.org/
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2010, 08:29:32 pm »
Still no didito in the area ? :(
Want to play movies in your SFML application? Check out sfeMovie!

tsiegel

• View Profile
    • http://www.softcon.com/mac/
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2010, 05:41:29 am »
Quote from: "Laurent"

SFML should work on BSD, except for the joystick part which is a little bit different from regular Linux, and undocumented.

If it works on osx, it should work on bsd (minus the cocoa code) since osx is derived from bsd.  I'd like to offer my assistance in porting 2.0 to osx.  I know this has had a lot of postings, and I know I can't do a complete port, since I'm blind, and using the Xcode tools is damned near impossible for me, but I'm an excellent code hacker, and I've ported several packages from other unix-type oses (and dos) to osx in the 5 years I've had my mac, so as long as you don't ask for graphical work, I can do just about anything else, including compiling final releases (I have both intel and ppc machines, laptops, minis and imacs (we're a mac family here) and I have an apple Developer Id, so asking support questions of apple isn't a problem.  If someone else can build the gui components of the port, (buttons, menus, views and the like) I can handle the code behind them with only minor difficulty.  I'm not sure my skills are up to porting something as complex as sfml, but I sure don't mind giving it a shot, perhaps if someone else who has a mac could do the graphical parts, I could handle the rest (possibly) I know that's not exactly what you were after, but if it will get the port done faster, I'll do what I can to assist.
Only thing is, no snowleopard machines yet (gotta upgrad the memory in my macbook first) but we do have both tiger and leopard machines here.
If someone could point me to the source that needs ported, I can certainly take a crack at it, who knows, maybe I can get some of it working.
hth.

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2010, 09:36:19 am »
Hi, I'm happy to see a new face interested in this port.  :)

Right now I'm working on the window module. I understood how it works except for joystick stuff (I haven't looked at it yet).

The things are very dependent so co-working on it will be hard. But there are still Audio and Network modules which are not depending on Window.

Tell me if you're still interested. I will happy to provide any information or file. :wink:
SFML / OS X developer

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2010, 09:37:30 am »
But there are still Audio and Network modules which are not depending on Window.

Network and Audio don't need to be ported ;)

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2010, 09:59:29 am »

And with Graphics module there is only RenderImageImplPBuffer to be implemented, right ?
SFML / OS X developer

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2010, 10:02:17 am »
And with Graphics module there is only RenderImageImplPBuffer to be implemented, right ?

Absolutely :)

tsiegel

• View Profile
    • http://www.softcon.com/mac/
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2010, 07:12:06 am »
Quote from: "Laurent"
But there are still Audio and Network modules which are not depending on Window.

Network and Audio don't need to be ported ;)

Any thought about adding speech generation (text-to-speech) capabilities to sfml?  Osx has a rather robust speech synthesizer api, and it could easily be rolled into the sfml libs.  Windows has sapi which could be rolled to do the same job, and I haven't used linux in years, but I'm pretty sure they have some speech components that could be used for the process as well.  Obviously, the details would vary from os to os, but basic text-to-speech capabilities should be doable on all platforms.

Sorry about the windows code, can't help there, (too graphical in nature for me) but I'd not mind giving the text-to-speech modules a crack.

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2010, 08:23:22 am »
A text-to-speech API is not really on the todo-list.

It would obviously be helpful for blind people, but what other purpose could it have? Moreover, those system-specific APIs probably use the same voice file format.

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2010, 12:02:28 pm »
Currently I'm trying unsuccessfully to find out how to convert an image data (width, height, array of Uint8) to a NSImage to set up the application icon.

The only way I found until now is to recreate the image with sf::Image to a temporary location and reload it with NSImage methods. But this is not applicable as sf::Image is in Graphics module and sf::Window::SetIcon is not.

Any idea will be rewarded with a lot of gratitude!  :D
SFML / OS X developer

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2010, 12:06:30 pm »
I'm also asking for help about joysticks handling : there is nothing about them in apple doc. If someone has already worked with them it would really be appreciated! Otherwise I'll search on the web, of course.
SFML / OS X developer

anything