Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Mac OS X port to be continued  (Read 57445 times)

Ceylo

• View Profile
    • http://sfemovie.yalir.org/
    • Email
Mac OS X port to be continued
« on: July 24, 2009, 01:58:31 pm »
Hello,

As you may know, I'm taking care of the Mac OS X implementation of SFML. I've been working on it for about one year and a half at this time. When I started this work, the previous developper had left the implementation incomplete. Since then I've switched the implementation from the Carbon API to the Cocoa API, in order to provide SFML integration in Cocoa based applications and ensure SFML's perenniality. I've learnt very much : I already knew Cocoa and Objective-C, but I had never really practiced C++.

However I now want to get rid of SFML development in order to work on other projects. Working 18 months on the same few files is a pain. I don't plan to develop SFML 2. I'll stay in order to fix the existings bugs in SFML 1 in order to ensure there is at least one SFML stable version for Mac OS X. Thus my work will stop when Laurent stops developping this branch.

Therefore the SFML project needs another Mac OS X developer ! Here is what you'll need if you wish to do this work : Objective-C and C++ languages, Cocoa API and OpenGL (you'll not need to know the OpenGL API but at least how OpenGL works with the OS).

Obviously, I stay here to answer to your questions, especially to the developpers that may wish to contribute. I can explain to these persons how all my "mess" works, and I'll always be able to do so even when someone else will have taken my place (so be confident, I won't let you alone in the jungle that is my work ;) ).

Ceylo

P.S.: English is not my native language, so you may find some expressions unconvenient or devalorizing even if it was not my purpose.
Want to play movies in your SFML application? Check out sfeMovie!

alexk

• View Profile
Mac OS X port
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 06:03:15 pm »
Hi Ceylo, I would be interested in developing the Mac OS X port of SFML.

Alex

Ceylo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 12:33:22 pm »
Could you explain why you think you are able to develop the Mac OS X port ?

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 08:19:24 pm »
Any news ?
SFML / OS X developer

Ceylo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 12:59:37 am »
Nop. Nobody seems ready to go on working on the port.

And about me, I don't know if you followed the issue about sndfile 1.0.20. This is new version needed by SFML 2, and I wasn't able to build it for PPC architecture on my Intel MacBook (not because my computer isn't able to compile for ppc, but because I don't really know how to compile for ppc with the configure tool). But during the holidays I went back to my mother's home and she's using a PPC Mac, so I built sndfile for this architecture. Thus I can know make a universal binary of sndfile 1.0.20.

As for the Shell script supposed to do the full packaging process, I think it's ok (tested), thus the next developer won't have much work to do.

Also, I'm currently running Mac OS X 10.6 (developer preview) and I can say SFML still works fine.

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 07:59:20 am »
Oh god thanks !  :)

As I will get very soon a mac ( with SL in a few weeks ) I'm very happy to see it works !

But as you said the Mac dev need to know the basis of Cocoa API and Objective-C plus a little bit OpenGL. And I know neither of them. And as I'm beginning in September in the EPFL I don't know if I would have enough time to learn all of these.. I'll tell you later if I could.
SFML / OS X developer

Ceylo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 12:51:57 pm »
Woot ! Good luck in your school ! :D

And don't worry too much about SFML, first take care of your studies :) .

PS: I dunno if "take care" is the appropriate phrase..

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 01:35:43 pm »
Thank you :)
SFML / OS X developer

All8Up

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 06:01:48 pm »
Hi folks,

I've been a lurker around here for a while and have been using SFML for various things on Win32 and OsX with an occasional mucking about in various *nix distro's.  Anyway, if someone else better doesn't come along, I'd be willing to take on the Os X maintenence.

Some background:

20 years making games: The Sims, The Sims Online, Star Wars Ep3 (xbox/ps2), currently on something you probably know about. :)

Os X user since the switch to Intel chips.  Not a "guru" at Objective C but know my way around.  Work in Cocoa just enough to get get things working and wrap with C/C++ for my higher usages.

Threading, graphics, sound etc experience at different times.

Anyway, I'd obviously be mostly a weekend warrior with occasional work during the week but that seems like it would be enough.

If this light overview is interresting, we can discuss more details in a PM.

All8Up

Ceylo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 06:52:40 pm »
PM sent.

Hiura

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 06:58:05 pm »
As I got my mac book this afternoon I would be happy to help by testing some things.   :wink:
SFML / OS X developer

Ceylo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 07:10:33 pm »
Thanks for the next developer :D .

patrick888

• View Profile
Hello, request for more information on SFML mac port
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 02:16:22 am »
Hello,
I am a new user of SFML. However, I do know C++ and Objective-C/Cocoa pretty well. I am a little weak on OpenGL also but I would be interested in trying to work on SFML on the Mac side. I imagine you need to know XCode and GCC 4.0 inside and out. I do know about them but not inside and out. I guess I would like to know more specifically what is involved.

thank you in advance,

Patrick

Ceylo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 03:00:50 am »
You can have a look at the sources from the Subversion repository. There you'll find what has been done for Mac OS X till now (see sfml/trunk/src/SFML/Window/Cocoa).

What is to be done is to adapt the current implementation for SFML 2 (see sfml/branches/sfml2/src/SFML/Window/Template for new ports), and eventually fixing bugs in the current branch (sfml/trunk/...).

You can obviously take most of the code from the current development branch (trunk/...) to achieve the SFML 2 Mac OS X port (branches/sfml2/...).

If you understand well what has been done till now, and you think you're able to write the sfml2 code, then maybe you could contribute.

If you're still interested, let's talk a bit more through PM.

Ceylo

Laurent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SFML's website
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 08:15:20 am »
see sfml/branches/sfml2/src/SFML/Window/Template for new ports

Forget about that, it's not up to date.
Laurent Gomila - SFML developer