Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Which version of GLSL does SFML use?  (Read 1329 times)

michaeland

• View Profile
Which version of GLSL does SFML use?
« on: April 09, 2014, 12:21:24 pm »
Hey,
It was hard to me to find the answer to this question. Which version of GLSL does SFML use? Is it possible to use GLSL 4.40?

binary1248

• SFML Team
  • I am awesome.
    • View Profile
    • The server that really shouldn't be running
Re: Which version of GLSL does SFML use?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 12:50:27 pm »
The question is not which version of GLSL SFML uses (if at all, because if you don't run the Shader example it doesn't touch GLSL in any way) but rather why it would matter. If you only use SFML for context management, input, audio and the other things without touching the "Graphics" part of it, it doesn't render anything at all. You are in charge of controlling what OpenGL would do in that case, and if your hardware supports GLSL 4.40 (which you should know how to check) then you can use it. Since you seem to want to go that route, you can also request that a 4.x context be created for you if you want to restrict yourself to the non-legacy OpenGL API.
SFGUI # SFNUL # GLS # Wyrm <- Why do I waste my time on such a useless project? Because I am awesome (first meaning).

michaeland

• View Profile
Re: Which version of GLSL does SFML use?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 04:40:20 pm »
Ok, so I understand that glsl is totally independent of SFML. It is not that SFML supports only some versions of this language. And if I have OpenGL 3.3, I use GLSL 3.30.6.
Thank you for help.