Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Off topic Coding Board?  (Read 3604 times)

StormWingDelta

• View Profile
Off topic Coding Board?
« on: April 09, 2014, 06:27:52 pm »
Would help keep the general board clear of non-SFML related things to say the least and give us a place to put things that normally don't fit 100% with SFML.

This would cool off a few hot heads when it comes to certain things and their locations as well. :)
I have many ideas but need the help of others to find way to make use of them.

Nexus

• SFML Team
  • Thor Developer
    • View Profile
    • Bromeon
Re: Off topic Coding Board?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 07:01:32 pm »
I'm not sure whether you mean "off topic" in the sense of other related technologies (C++, OpenGL, ...) or completely unrelated discussions (real life, politics, religion, ...) but especially for the second I don't see any need.

With the exception of a few people, the current model works relatively well, but I agree that one could be more strict with respect to pure C++ questions, as there are still many beginners who barely know how to write a function and flood the forum with corresponding questions. "More strict" might mean refer to a good tutorial/book and not answer the actual question, as that only encourages having no self-initiative. Of course, it's difficult to find the border, but there are enough cases where it's obvious that a poster just doesn't feel like reading a C++ book and wants the community to work for it. Some people even admit it.

In general, the community has been very tolerant in the past, even if a topic is only slightly related to SFML. For example, there have been a lot of interesting discussions about game development and various related techniques (components, collision, pathfinding, steering, AI...), and I think it's good to keep that. I don't know whether an additional forum would change a lot here.
Zloxx II: action platformer
Thor Library: particle systems, animations, dot products, ...
SFML Game Development:

eXpl0it3r

• SFML Team
    • View Profile
    • development blog
    • Email
Re: Off topic Coding Board?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 10:05:46 pm »
I don't really see a need either. Personally I think it's okay to ask more generic questions, as long as they are in some way connected with SFML and/or game development.
However if you come here to discuss your "awesome" idiom or pattern or algorithm you just found/implemented or start talking about OpenGL development or discuss meta-programming stuff, then you're at the wrong place. There are enough alternatives with many more people that will actually know or be interested in these topics - just look at all these StackExchange sites. ;)

The only thing I'd like to see, is a faster moderation. Because if there are topics that are really unrelated, they should get locked rather quickly, to a) clearly signal what the forum is there for and b) prevent a flood of unnecessary posts. If a thread is closed and someone has an answer for it, there's still the option of a PM.

But that's just my opinion, not that it would weigh anything. :P
Official FAQ: https://www.sfml-dev.org/faq.php
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/nr4X7Fh
——————————————————————
Dev Blog: https://duerrenberger.dev/blog/